WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

the spirit of the bayonet

Old 10-28-2016, 05:34 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default the spirit of the bayonet

I went through Army Basic Training in the 70s.. We were training on how to use our bayonet after we’d run out of bullets.

We were put in a loose formation. We had MI Rifles with a deadly bayonet attached to the end. The instructor screamed. “What’s the spirit of the bayonet?”

We screamed back in unison. “To kill!”

“I can’t hear you. Put some balls in it!! What’s the spirit of the bayonet?

We screamed louder. “To Kill!”

We did that for 30 minutes.

Before dismissing us the instructor said he would be around after we ate to inspect in our bayonet. “I want to see them shine. Ready to kill. What the spirit of the bayonet!?”

“To kill!” we screamed.

After the mess hall everyone was feverishly cleaning their bayonets. I just sat there thinking. It occurred to me that they were taking away our humanity and turning us into disposable trigger fingers.

It’s brainwashing at its worse. All this talk about courage and pawns is bullshit. If the brainwashing is successful people act because of programming. If the brainwashing doesn’t work they’re reassigned as cooks, quartermasters and clerks.

Old men make wars and young men fight and die in them. These young men are programmed to die. Officers are trained to retire. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Did you really have a M1 and not a M14 in the army in the 1970s?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:37 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Well, I'm not sure what it was. I thought they said it was M1. When you shoved the clip in from the top you had to be careful or it would take you thumb off. If I have the wrong model, what was it?

You didn't mention the content of my little post. Do you have an opinion? wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

No, that would have been an M1 (Garand) - just surprised that they would have been training with those in the 1970s - they'd been mothballed since the M14 was introduced in the 50's....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:36 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
No, that would have been an M1 (Garand) - just surprised that they would have been training with those in the 1970s - they'd been mothballed since the M14 was introduced in the 50's....
Hi Mochican. I was there when the country was at peace, after Korea and before Veit Nam. (peace didn't last long) The Brass probably figured it didn't matter what we trained with. However, when I went through MP training we trained heavily with the carbine, the 'grease gun', and the .45. All of which I used when stationed. wrc

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing