WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

A Clear View?

Old 11-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Tor

Default A Clear View?

It seems to be a part of the aging process that facing one’s exit from life, a person’s view of what goes on in life is unobstructed by the daily necessities. In other words, as your involvement with the competition that making a living entails diminishes as your understanding of the ridiculousness you have lived increases. As well, old people are less motivate by what others think of them - well, many of us.

What ever do I mean? Well, I can say without equivocation that most of what I did to make a living was mediated by needing to compromise on what I thought was best to get anything at all meaningful accomplished. As a prisoner of current societal standards, - and we all are - I knew that what kind of car I drove, brand of cloths and any number of ‘requirements to be taken seriously’ were, for me to be taken very seriously. I didn’t need to be told, the media of my time - news papers, radio, movies and TV - made expectations clear.

While in the Navy - a mere lad of 19 or so - I had a beer in a pub in Fleet St. In London with an economics editor from the London Times. After a few, he told me that America had conquered the world - well, economically. He said as an example, Britts got up in the AM, brushed their teeth with Crest toothpaste and shaved with a Gillette razor.

"You Yanks and your Madison Avenue by setting a standard of living that the world desires, also controls what products the world will want." Or words to that effect, I did have a few beers.

For the rest of my life, that encounter has been marinating in the back of my mind. It is at this point in retirement, that the true implication of that talk all those years ago seems clear. We - that is all of us - are controlled by advertising which because it funds the media - of all types - controls the media which controls us.

It is an inescapable fact of life. From the smallest detail of our personal appearance to the values and morals that we live by. You better use this deodorant or you’ll be shunned. You won’t be attractive if you hair isn’t a certain color. If you aren’t of a specific political persuasion or a member of an in group - you will not be successful.

Every aspect of our life is controlled and most of us actually don’t notice and believe that we are free to make what ever choices we wish.

In today’s world with technology that never sleeps or forgets, all of this is even more pervasive. We go about our business and are watched but in order to exist without raging paranoia we don’t pay attention to this and hope that like fish in a school the likelihood of being singled out by a predator is small. Of course, computers can easily follow an individual in any large group. Some fish always get caught and all have the potential to be one of those fish.

But what is the point of this train of thought? Well, as with many insights, that may not be clear. I guess, I feel that it is important that people understand that we are not truly free and I don’t believe that we ever can be. We are the products of an environment that is controlled by those that filter everything we see and hear.

So do what "you’ think best and try to remember that small voice telling you what to do is not your subconscious.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:10 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Tor. I really enjoyed your post. The question of free will has dogged humans since evolving minds and still remains a mystery.

My take is that when you do a self analysis you begin to see how little freedom you have. But the information you generate suddenly gives you some partial freedom to ignore the programming that's been done to you. And it's not just advertising, but the culture itself trains us to fit in.

Feeling that you control your self is important for peace of mind. I'd suggest the next time you need to buy tooth paste bypass Crest and buy generic. That may seem a small gesture but every time you deny the programming you'll feel more free. 'The unexamined life is not worth living.'

Thanks for writing the post. Carry on. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:25 AM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
My take is that when you do a self analysis you begin to see how little freedom you have.
Like Carl Jung said, "Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate."
Old 11-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Tor

wrc,

Glad you liked - the frustration expressed in my piece was that we are manipulated by advertising thru their media outlets in every aspect of our lives from the time of our birth. All this at the risk of being seen as a crazy old coot. But you're right one can put a bump in their way by just doing other than the programing tells you. Unfortunately, 'they' may have predicted this disobedience and adjusted for it. Their goes that old coot again.

The media is used to winning and has the power to crush anything or one that gets in its way.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Tor

I found Jung a bit obtuse to be useful in daily practice. But he can be fun to think about - like string theory.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

I wouldn't claim to know how to apply Jung in daily practice. Regardless, I don't think that takes anything away from the validity of this particular quote.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

And skepticism and awareness of how we can be manipulated by advertising and the media and saying something about it doesn't have much to do with with being a curmudgeon; although some people need to think that kind of insight comes with age. Maybe it just takes some people a lot longer to catch on.

Research shows that young people today, or the so-called millennials, are more skeptical of advertising than preceding generations, that they are less materialistic, less impressed by brand names, and are far more likely to hold corporations responsible for how they do business.

I work with and I'm around people in that age group, and I can see it. Many of them simply don't associate success with material things and aren't so concerned about keeping up with the Jones.' So maybe there is hope for the future after all.

Last edited by Myers; 11-03-2016 at 01:14 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Tor

a few things. I wasn't talking about other age groups. I was talking about mine.

My opinion about Jung is what it is and he was obtuse. I found him of little use when I was practicing. As far as the quote, it could apply here. The point, I was trying to make was we are programed from birth by the media and it is hard to break out of that at any age.

Nice that you expressed your opinion - I just don't agree with it. Research is also reported by the media which is more pervasive then ever.

Retirement and being somewhat remove from life's main stream does provide a clarity through more time and objectivity.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

I'm not talking about research as reported by the media. I'm talking about research conducted by advertisers as part of thier efforts to reach millennials. But that's typical; any kind of research that doesn't support what people already believe must be wrong.

Otherwise, most people lock into beliefs or an ideology relatively early in life; cliches about liberalism and youth and age and conservativism aside. And they take those beliefs with them to the grave.

It's only later in life that they can try to give thier beliefs some weight by claiming they have something to do with a wisdom that comes with age.

The reality is, there are all kinds of old people who are full of it. If your beliefs and opinions have any kind of validity, then maybe you should stop qualifying your comments by constantly mentioning that you're old. People will see the "clarity" in what you have to say - or they won't.

Last edited by Myers; 11-03-2016 at 06:18 PM..
Old 11-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Tor

Its all right if you don't go along with anything I say. So stop trying to discredit me - I really don't care .

I am old it is just a statement of fact. You are not - again I do not care. I don't hide behind it - I accept it.

You, all before you and all after you are products of the media - the only thoughts you can trust are your own and I would be suspicious of those.

I'm sorry you don't get the point, maybe in time you will.

But I won't argue with you - it is a waste of time.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

I hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of people who understand how advertisers and the media can manipulate people, and not everyone is duped.

All it takes is a little knowledge and self-awareness. But I can see why you would want reject any evidence or an opinion that might indicate it doesn't take everyone a lifetime to figure it out.

But you get it now, right? So it's all good. Better late than never!

Last edited by Myers; 11-04-2016 at 04:06 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing