WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

High-horse syndrom

Old 10-30-2016, 11:57 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 572

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Dude, you're smart. books have your high horse near brilliant. save the world. Man's army And you produced fruit for all man to enjoy.

I know I have your word

Why are so many of you the Truth.

T;Ifify

Old 11-01-2016, 09:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
wrc is on the right track, Cityboy.

And the industrial-military is about the alliance between the military and the defense industry and initiating military conflicts for profit. No, it's not new, but it's certainly something that goes on beneath the radar while gullible people focus on our brave military and how they supposedly fight for our freedoms.

Some obscure dude named Eisenhower commented on that shortly after his retirement.....We have ignored that to our peril.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
how many hands does a horse have to be to be a high horse?

To midgets and hobbits, a Shetland Pony is a high horse.

And then figuratively, to a man of my stature a Percheron or Belgian Dray is just a pony. To get on my high horse I would need a pachyderm. Life has its challenges at all levels and I accept that I must bear a heavier cross and a larger burden. I take heart in the fact that it's never Sisyphean, because there are not boulders that large....
Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Mohican. Has Cityboy been coaching you? I've read your post 3 times and can't understand what your getting at. Maybe the logic of confusion is spreading. wrc

I got a good chuckle from this. Do I owe you an explanation?

For their own good, some people should just not go online.

I got a good chuckle from this, too. Although we at times seem to be at opposite ends, I think you have a good head on your shoulders.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:29 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
T;Ifify
Hi bp.

T;Ifify. T;Ifify? T;Ifify! (LOL) Are you being nasty? wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:53 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 572

There; I fixed it for you (T;Ifify)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I got a good chuckle from this, too. Although we at times seem to be at opposite ends, I think you have a good head on your shoulders.
I really do try to go beyond a person's stated beliefs and try to understand why they believe something. I think if you do that, you can often find common ground.

Unlike the OP. He's shown in this thread and others that if you disagree with him, he's going to get defensive and automatically assign a whole list of negative attributes to you. And if you're at all dismissive, even if you can back it up, he'll claim you're up on a high horse or that you're a pseudo intellectual or "hateful."

Not picking on him really, it's just par for the course these days, and why it's virtually impossible to have any kind of reasonable (and possibly heated) discussion about politics or social issues.

I think a lot of us want basically the same things; we just have different ideas about how to make them happen. It's inevitable that there will be impasses over certain issues, but whining and bitching and generalizing about people we assume are on "the other side" won't get us anywhere.

Last edited by Myers; 11-03-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

I think a lot of us want basically the same things; we just have different ideas about how to make them happen. It's inevitable that there will be impasses over certain issues, but whing and bitching and generalizing about people we assume are on "the other side" won't get us anywhere.
Consultants for both political parties - especially from Clinton and the internet age forward - have made an industry from demonizing "the other side"

Old 11-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

It may have started that way, but it's bigger and more pervasive than that these days.

You absolutely can't state an opinion on any singular issue without getting labeled and without the assumption that you are all for a particular agenda or political ideological. It's impossible to occupy the middle ground these days. The moderate is an extinct animal.

BTW -- I'd always heard about Eisenhower's speech on the industrial-military complex and understood the concept, but I just recently listened to the speech on YouTube. Amazingly prescient and mostly ignored, unfortunately.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:22 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 572

Polarization of both (or several) sides always increases during economic downtimes. Despite the great numbers the stock market is throwing up these days and the 'solid' jobs numbers, most people I know are in trouble. Maybe not desperate yet but definitely feeling squeezed and like they can't catch up.

It's like fighting with your wife. 9 times out of 10 it has something to do with money.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

Totally agree.

But in general, people are so locked into believing thier side will somehow cure all our economic woes, and that the last guy fucked everything up, it becomes a vicious cycle. Like somehow the economy operates on 4 or 8 year cycles, depending on who is in office. It's bullshit.

But yeah, so many of these social and political squabbles are distractions and beside the point. People mostly want some kind of security so they can live their lives how they see fit.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

The problems that face the Republic are quite possibly beyond repair by "electing the right group of National Politicians"......

I was listening to (I think Pat Cadell - Democrat) who said the Dems and both parties started to lose their way in the 1980s when Wall Street really started investing in politicians. He also thinks the hyper partisanship started as a result of the impeachment of William Jefferson Clinton.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Tor

this is democracy Guys pick a side and vote. Anything else is a cop out.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:26 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 572

Originally Posted by Tor View Post
this is democracy Guys pick a side and vote. Anything else is a cop out.

If this is a democracy then I'm going to vote for Ted Cruz because I love the idea of a closeted gay politician taking blow jobs in public restrooms and then voting against gay marriage on the floor of the senate.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Tor

As long as you vote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:52 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

There; I fixed it for you (T;Ifify)
(Lol) Thank you so much for the illumination. It's just like cotton candy. The minute I consider it the explanation becomes invisable. Hmm... wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

Polarization of both (or several) sides always increases during economic downtimes. Despite the great numbers the stock market is throwing up these days and the 'solid' jobs numbers, most people I know are in trouble. Maybe not desperate yet but definitely feeling squeezed and like they can't catch up.

It's like fighting with your wife. 9 times out of 10 it has something to do with money.
Not true or not always true.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

I think my wife and I are lucky. We were dead broke with a baby on the way when we got married. And we somehow managed and were very happy. So we rarely argue about money.

When I first started my business and things weren't looking good, my wife said, "The worst thing that could happen is that we would have to start over."

Pretty wise.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

My wife and I bought a farm the same year that our first born arrived, so I get what you're saying, Myers.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

Trial by fire, I guess.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing