WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.


Sunday School is Mental Rape to Children

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-08-2016, 04:59 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 997
Thanks: 0
Thanks 229
Default


Originally Posted by wyf View Post
Sunday school is no big deal. Everyone indoctrinates their kids one way or another. Everyone believes their own brand of indoctrination is better than anyone else's.
Hi wyf. I don't agree with you regarding Sunday School. The other two ideas I agree 100%.

Everyone's life on this planet would be better if indoctrinations happening everywhere were more aligned with the actual factual reality. wrc

__________________

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-08-2016, 07:23 AM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

we all indoctrinate our children in the way we live - that is a fact, in my mind. if it isn't us then the babysitter or the school or their peers.

this is just one of those 'is' things - we can't change it is.

sunday school however is different.

In the course of childhood we are told many things that our parents hope will give us comfort or cause to be happy. These things, the tooth fairy, Santa, heaven - do help a child get to adulthood with a security blanket that sheds some of the drama.

the parents don't say much about hell until the loved baby becomes the rebellious teen. By this time most of the concepts of the baby years have fallen away, the Easter Bunny is gone - fried up with a few potatoes and the pan renderings made into gravy.

however the last myth, heaven and hell remain - god, is reinforced by parents that are just as much victims of their parents as they are making of their children. these beliefs were reinforced by sunday school and even though they are sometimes overcome in favor of reality - the teaching of those sunday school days remain. there are even questions on jeopardy about what you learned there.

while I can see sunday school teachings as an adolescent social construct its continuance as a fact and not a myth into adulthood is significant enough for me to agree with the concept that sunday school is, in some from, rape; and without a doubt - brainwashing.


max
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,279
Thanks: 19
Thanks 126
Default

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
we all indoctrinate our children in the way we live - that is a fact, in my mind. if it isn't us then the babysitter or the school or their peers.

this is just one of those 'is' things - we can't change it is.

sunday school however is different.

In the course of childhood we are told many things that our parents hope will give us comfort or cause to be happy. These things, the tooth fairy, Santa, heaven - do help a child get to adulthood with a security blanket that sheds some of the drama.

the parents don't say much about hell until the loved baby becomes the rebellious teen. By this time most of the concepts of the baby years have fallen away, the Easter Bunny is gone - fried up with a few potatoes and the pan renderings made into gravy.

however the last myth, heaven and hell remain - god, is reinforced by parents that are just as much victims of their parents as they are making of their children. these beliefs were reinforced by sunday school and even though they are sometimes overcome in favor of reality - the teaching of those sunday school days remain. there are even questions on jeopardy about what you learned there.

while I can see sunday school teachings as an adolescent social construct its continuance as a fact and not a myth into adulthood is significant enough for me to agree with the concept that sunday school is, in some from, rape; and without a doubt - brainwashing.


max

What the hell are you trying to explain? I could learn more from watching a termite or an ant than from reading your garbage.

The only beef with children and church is that some babies and young children (2 to 10) aren't comfortable during the church service. Children so young should be taken to parks, especially on Sunny days. When they get old enough. they could go to church on their own, if they want to.


Zealots just might be the right word to describe some of you. Whether one brainwashes "for" or brainwashes "against," it is still brainwashing.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-11-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-12-2016, 07:19 AM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

i'm not trying to explain anything, i'm trying to pitch a strike right down the middle, no curves, no risers, no drops, just a straight shot.

it's just the way I see it

have a good day

max
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-12-2016, 07:31 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,279
Thanks: 19
Thanks 126
Default

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
i'm not trying to explain anything, i'm trying to pitch a strike right down the middle, no curves, no risers, no drops, just a straight shot.

it's just the way I see it

have a good day

max
Pitch down the middle. You can't even tell the difference between a baseball and a football when you refer to what others believe as a myth. After all, your beliefs are just that--merely your beliefs.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-12-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-12-2016, 09:21 AM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

this is a good example

you think what I believe is a myth ,so why is it not ok ,for me to believe what you believe, is a myth.

this is also a good example of why sunday school is "BAD"


max
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.

Last edited by max crash; 11-12-2016 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,279
Thanks: 19
Thanks 126
Default

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
this is a good example

you think what I believe is a myth so why is it not ok for me to believe what you believe is a myth.

this is also a good example of why sunday school is "BAD"


max
Can you accept an honest answer? Or are you one of those zealots?


Two wrongs don't make a right! (And I'm not even a mathematician.)

The truth is out there. You're stumbling over your own words, Max.

Terrible example ... one-sided & narrow-minded!

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-12-2016 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 636
Thanks: 114
Thanks 136
Default

If you don't believe it, it's a myth. There's no reason to mince words.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-12-2016, 01:14 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,722
Thanks: 1,005
Thanks 333
Default

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Can you accept an honest answer? Or are you one of those zealots?


Two wrongs don't make a right! (And I'm not even a mathematician.)

The truth is out there. You're stumbling over your own words, Max.

Terrible example ... one-sided & narrow-minded!
It is wrong to state that you are wrong and therefore you are right
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,279
Thanks: 19
Thanks 126
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
It is wrong to state that you are wrong and therefore you are right
Why is it wrong to admit it when you know you are?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-12-2016, 02:43 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,722
Thanks: 1,005
Thanks 333
Default

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Why is it wrong to admit it when you know you are?
I never said it was wrong to do so
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,279
Thanks: 19
Thanks 126
Default

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
this is a good example

you think what I believe is a myth ,so why is it not ok ,for me to believe what you believe, is a myth.

this is also a good example of why sunday school is "BAD"


max
Seeking God and finding Him isn't "rape." These former atheists who went searching for God found Him to be a relief.

2. “Experimentation” with Prayer and the Word of God.

The Word of God is living. It has power beyond human comprehension because it is “God-breathed.” God speaks to man in many ways; but especially through prayer and the reading of the inspired Scriptures. When curiosity (or even interest) of non-believers leads to experimentation with prayer or reading the Bible the results can be shocking, as many converts attest.
One former atheist who was profoundly affected by prayer and the Scriptures is author Devin Rose. On his blog, he describes the role that God’s Word played in his gradual conversion process from atheism to Christianity:
“I began praying, saying, “God, you know I do not believe in you, but I am in trouble and need help. If you are real, help me.” I started reading the Bible to learn about what Christianity said…”
Once Rose began to read the Scriptures and talk to God, even as a skeptic, he found himself overwhelmed by something very real:
“Still, I persevered. I kept reading the Bible, asking my roommate questions about what I was reading, and praying. Then, slowly, and amazingly, my faith grew and it eventually threatened to whelm my many doubts and unbelief.”
And the rest was history for the now rising Catholic apologist and author of The Protestant’s Dilemma.
Similarly, renowned sci-fi author John C. Wright distinctly recalls a prayer he said as an adamant atheist:
“I prayed. ‘Dear God, I know… that you do not exist. Nonetheless, as a scholar, I am forced to entertain the hypothetical possibility that I am mistaken. So just in case I am mistaken, please reveal yourself to me in some fashion that will prove your case. If you do not answer, I can safely assume that either you do not care whether I believe in you, or that you have no power to produce evidence to persuade me…If you do not exist, this prayer is merely words in the air, and I lose nothing but a bit of my dignity. Thanking you in advance for your kind cooperation in this matter, John Wright.'”
Wright soon received the answer (and effect) he did not expect:
“Something from beyond the reach of time and space, more fundamental than reality, reached across the universe and broke into my soul and changed me…I was altered down to the root of my being…It was like falling in love.”
Wright was welcomed into the Catholic Church at Easter in 2008.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-13-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-13-2016, 03:31 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 997
Thanks: 0
Thanks 229
Default

Hi Cityboy.

Interesting ideas in your post.

For me, it sounds like what you described is self hypnosis, assuming there were no drugs. Further, since self generated experiences are personal there's no way to validate them and give them the status of facts.

Still, it was interesting. wrc
__________________

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-13-2016, 04:15 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 118
Thanks: 10
Thanks 43
Default

In 1986 I was in Mexico for the soccer world cup, but could not get a ticket for the final. I spent three hours outside the stadium before the big game, hoping to buy a ticket from someone. Anyone! But they were all asking for more money than I carried. My lifetime ambition had been to attend a WC final and with minutes to go before kick-off, I felt miserable and resigned to running off to find a bar to watch the game on TV, but at that moment someone tapped me on the shoulder and offered me a ticket for $50. I almost snapped his hand off in relief.

I dashed into the stadium and made it up to the top deck. I couldn't get anywhere near my assigned seat as the 115,000 capacity stadium much have exceeded that number by many thousands and the aisles were all packed with people. However, I pushed my way to a spot where I could see the field and that's when it happened.

The two teams were standing for the national anthems and the stadium suddenly seemed filled with a strange light and silence descended on me. I felt an ecstatic feeling of well being, of an intensity I have never felt before or since. The light slowly returned to normal, the noise of the crowd ramped up to deafening levels and I went on to enjoy a sporting experience of a lifetime.

I realised afterwards that if the same thing had happened in a church or in religious circumstances, I would have found God. Ever since that experience I have understood exactly what people mean when they say they have seen the light and mistake a profound physical and emotionally traumatic experience for a supernatural encounter.

But on the other hand, I must confess that football is my religion...
__________________
Web
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimeStorm FB page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,279
Thanks: 19
Thanks 126
Default

Originally Posted by SteveHarrison View Post
In 1986 I was in Mexico for the soccer world cup, but could not get a ticket for the final. I spent three hours outside the stadium before the big game, hoping to buy a ticket from someone. Anyone! But they were all asking for more money than I carried. My lifetime ambition had been to attend a WC final and with minutes to go before kick-off, I felt miserable and resigned to running off to find a bar to watch the game on TV, but at that moment someone tapped me on the shoulder and offered me a ticket for $50. I almost snapped his hand off in relief.

I dashed into the stadium and made it up to the top deck. I couldn't get anywhere near my assigned seat as the 115,000 capacity stadium much have exceeded that number by many thousands and the aisles were all packed with people. However, I pushed my way to a spot where I could see the field and that's when it happened.

The two teams were standing for the national anthems and the stadium suddenly seemed filled with a strange light and silence descended on me. I felt an ecstatic feeling of well being, of an intensity I have never felt before or since. The light slowly returned to normal, the noise of the crowd ramped up to deafening levels and I went on to enjoy a sporting experience of a lifetime.

I realised afterwards that if the same thing had happened in a church or in religious circumstances, I would have found God. Ever since that experience I have understood exactly what people mean when they say they have seen the light and mistake a profound physical and emotionally traumatic experience for a supernatural encounter.

But on the other hand, I must confess that football is my religion...
Nice story and well written too.

Most of the time God finds us, especially when we least expect it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
SteveHarrison (11-13-2016)
  #46  
Old 11-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,279
Thanks: 19
Thanks 126
Default

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Hi Cityboy.

Interesting ideas in your post.

For me, it sounds like what you described is self hypnosis, assuming there were no drugs. Further, since self generated experiences are personal there's no way to validate them and give them the status of facts.

Still, it was interesting. wrc
Here's a few more ideas.

1. Good Literature and Reasonable Writing.

Reasonable atheists eventually become theists because they are reasonable; and furthermore, because they are honest. They are willing to follow the evidence wherever it leads; and in many cases the evidence comes to the atheist most coherently and well-presented through the writings of believers in God.
Author Karen Edmisten admits on her blog:
“I once thought I’d be a lifelong atheist. Then I became desperately unhappy, read up on philosophy and various religions (while assiduously avoiding Christianity), and waited for something to make sense. I was initially appalled when Christianity began to look like the sensible thing, surprised when I wanted to be baptized, and stunned that I ended up a Catholic.”
Dr. Holly Ordway, author of Not God’s Type: An Atheist Academic Lays Down Her Arms, describes the consequences of reading great, intelligent Christian writers:
“I found that my favorite authors were men and women of deep Christian faith. C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien above all; and then the poets: Gerard Manley Hopkins, George Herbert, John Donne, and others. Their work was unsettling to my atheist convictions…”
Dr. Ordway mentions the eminent 20th century Oxford thinker, C.S. Lewis. Lewis is a prime example of a reasonable but unbelieving thinker who was willing to read from all angles and perspectives. As a result of his open inquiry, he became a believer in Christ and one of modern Christianity’s greatest apologists.
G.K. Chesterton and George MacDonald were two of the most influential writers to effect Lewis’ conversion. He writes in his autobiography, Surprised By Joy:
“In reading Chesterton, as in reading MacDonald, I did not know what I was letting myself in for… A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading.”
Author Dale Ahlquist writes matter-of-factly that “C.S. Lewis was an atheist until he read Chesterton’s book, The Everlasting Man, but he wasn’t afterwards…”
Ironically, it was C.S. Lewis’ influential defenses of Christianity that would eventually prompt countless conversions to Christianity—and his influence continues today unhindered. Among the Lewis-led converts from atheism is former feminist and professor of philosophy, Lorraine Murray, who recalls:
“In college I turned my back on Catholicism, my childhood faith, and became a radical, gender-bending feminist and a passionate atheist …. Reading Lewis, I found something that I must have been quietly hungering for all along, which was a reasoned approach to my childhood beliefs, which had centered almost entirely on emotion. As I turned the pages of this book, I could no longer ignore the Truth, nor turn my back on the Way and the Life. Little by little, and inch by inch, I found my way back to Jesus Christ and returned to the Catholic Church.”
For an in-depth account of Murray’s conversion, see her book: Confessions Of An Ex-Feminist.



Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 997
Thanks: 0
Thanks 229
Default

Hi SteveHarrison. I'm an expat living in Mexico and you were lucky to not pay more than 50 bucks for the ticket. Here, hustling has become an art form. wrc
__________________

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-14-2016, 04:08 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 118
Thanks: 10
Thanks 43
Default

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Hi SteveHarrison. I'm an expat living in Mexico and you were lucky to not pay more than 50 bucks for the ticket. Here, hustling has become an art form. wrc
It was a lot of money for me in 1986

Wonderful country, by the way.
__________________
Web
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimeStorm FB page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:12 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 997
Thanks: 0
Thanks 229
Default

Yes. I'm happy here. But the mordita drives me nuts. wrc
__________________

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 PM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 271
Thanks: 66
Thanks 56
Default

Sunday school is mental rape to children.

.....----..... I can see that .....----.....

All BULLSHIT aside
One could make that analogy
If they wanted to.
And because they made that
Analogy

So......... I clicked on it. I guess it really went over their heads Main.
__________________
" Life's Permanent Temptation is to Confuse Dreams with Reality. Life's Permanent Defeat is to Surrender to Reality." ---Unknown
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stacks of lamps! stacksoflamps Introductions 2 09-16-2012 04:06 AM
Authors in revolt against plans to vet them for school visits Atreus Writers' Cafe 14 07-20-2009 07:09 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:21 PM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.