WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Brexit: Reality or Myth?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:57 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141
Default Brexit: Reality or Myth?

Will Brexit ever happen?

The Facts:
An overwhelming majority (52%) of the British public voted to leave the EU.
Shame all those promises they voted for like more money for the NHS and stopping immigration turned out to be wishful thinking, but hey ho.
New PM, Theresa "I'd happily nuke women and children" May says "Brexit means Brexit", which sounds conclusive enough. But does Brexit mean Brexit? And if so, what does Brexit mean?

The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 02:01 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 360

Quite ironically the refugees are the most powerful people in the world today, they have divided people, governments, countries - without even trying to. I tried using this trick at work today, I have being going for a promotion for 88 years at my job and have not had any success. Today I pointed out that if the vacant position directly above me were not filled a refugee would get it, I am now CEO. I have already raped three staff members, had my gooch licked clean by fifteen staff members, I set fire to all the company records and tomorrow I have a meeting with a Panamaian banker.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:32 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 712

From a US perspective, this whole Brexit thing can be summed up simply: we don't care what you do to your own vaginas; shave them; let the bush grow; modest trim; wash and fold; whatever.

To keep the sexual analogy:

Britain is our right nut, Israel our left, and the US is the big cock in the middle. The rest of the world better line up and get on its knees.

So long as you Brits are keeping a lid on upheaval and possible threats to our European revenue streams, and sending us high quality comedy with those darling little accents of yours, we just can't be bothered.

We are eternally in your debt for the creation of Keely Hazel as well. You chaps did a good job with that one.

Thanks for your understanding and enduring respect for your masters.😆

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

Britain is our right nut, Israel our left, and the US is the big cock in the middle. The rest of the world better line up and get on its knees.
Enduring image.

America is of course renowned for its pricks. Perhaps that's why Trump is riding so high with his big swollen pulsating head.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:43 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 712
Default Brexit: Reality or Myth?

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Enduring image.

America is of course renowned for its pricks. Perhaps that's why Trump is riding so high with his big swollen pulsating head.

Yes, and in America we go deep. There is a long line of pricks waiting behind Trumpty dumpty for a shot at the hole—an almost inexhaustible wellspring of throbbers. I'm not sure how long it can go on this way before something gives. Hopefully Jesus comes back soon and puts an end to it all. It's exhausting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 600

The flaw of thinking that Democracy rules - or works.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...h-court-rules/

So the people get to vote on Brexit, but it's not official until the parliament votes to trigger?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 600

I'm sure NonS or 'Tart could explain further the intricacies of this. Not quite as straight forward as voting for Brexit, and then starting to exit the EU per "the will of the people".

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Myers (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 183

How is 52% "an overwhelming majority?"
Old 11-03-2016, 12:16 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

The High Court ruling upholds parliamentary sovereignty. Theresa May was trying to trigger Article 50, the mechanism that begins UK withdrawal from EU, by Royal Prerogative, which bypasses the elected chamber. The court has ruled this would be illegal and that only parliament can authorise such an action.

It's actually a victory for democracy, paradoxically. The issue is not whether the UK will leave the EU, which has already been decided by the referendum, but what the terms of that withdrawal will be. Many are anxious to avoid a 'hard Brexit' (withdrawal from the Single Market and its tariff free trading benefits), including the devolved administrations and certain industry sectors who would suffer the most.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:17 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
How is 52% "an overwhelming majority?"
Only in the UKIP lexicon.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 183

But you said it...
Old 11-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

It's actually a victory for democracy, paradoxically.
Concur. The ruling means that the Prime Minister can't do things without Parliament's consent. It means that our elected representatives can scrutinise the government's proposals and revise or reject them if they don't seem to be in our best interests.

We do expect our elected representatives to enact the will of the people, and the referendum means they know what the people's will is. They can expect us to judge them on whether they deliver it. But I'm pleased Parliament will have a veto over the details.

The populace voted to leave the European Union and regain control of our borders but we definitely didn't write David Davis and Liam Fox a blank cheque to get us there.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

But you said it...
It's called irony, dear.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:55 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post

The populace voted to leave the European Union and regain control of our borders but we definitely didn't write David Davis and Liam Fox a blank cheque to get us there.
Quite, particularly since they don't seem to have a clue what they are doing.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 183

It's called irony, dear.
Sorry, dear, but there's nothing in the OP that remotely indicates you were going for irony. Nice try.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 712

Sorry, dear, but there's nothing in the OP that remotely indicates you were going for irony. Nice try.

Didn't you watch the Monty Python when you was young? Or the Benny Hill?

The OP is how them English do irony.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:10 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 712

I heard in our US news the other day that a lot of people who voted for Brexit regret it and are trying to put together a redo. Is that so?
Old 11-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

You're talking to English people in a text medium, so you need to turn up the sensitivity on your sarcasm detector.

Mind you, I'd have thought that in anyone's lexicon, calling 52% an "overwhelming majority" would be a red flag for taking the piss.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 183

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Didn't you watch the Monty Python when you was young? Or the Benny Hill?

The OP is how them English do irony.
I appreciate that, especially about Benny Hill. His work is loaded with subtle irony, especially when it involves midgets.

I can also tell when someone is backtracking.

It's common these days; to make whatever point they need to make, people associate a few percentage points as some kind of mandate.

Otherwise, if you're going for irony, you may not want to designate something as fact, in no uncertain terms. It may become a problem when you try to turn things around.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 183

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
You're talking to English people in a text medium, so you need to turn up the sensitivity on your sarcasm detector.

Mind you, I'd have thought that in anyone's lexicon, calling 52% an "overwhelming majority" would be a red flag for taking the piss.
Sorry mate, my sarcasm detector is turned up to 11. I'm also taking past comments into consideration, and I call B.S.

Last edited by Myers; 11-04-2016 at 04:15 AM..
Old 11-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 183

Admittedly, there are people who say all kinds of ridiculous things on the internet. Hard sometimes to tell who's an idiot and who isn't. My humble apologies if I got it wrong.

(More sarcasm, perhaps?)

Last edited by Myers; 11-03-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 02:18 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Hard sometimes to tell who's an idiot and who isn't.
Oh, the irony.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:33 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 712

Admittedly, there are people who say all kinds of ridiculous things on the internet.

Yeah, I do that all the time. Sometimes on purpose just to see what people say and sometimes because I'm probably not as smart as I think I am. Okay, no, it's always on purpose.😆
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 183

"Oh, the irony."

The go to response for those without a response, and the "intellectual" equivalent to, "I know you are but what am I."

Good job.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 125

The big problem with unelected May's government is that they wanted to push through Brexit negotiations without anyone really knowing what was going to happen until it was a done deal.

The High Court ruling exercised something that the Brexiteers were clamouring for (sovereignty of our courts) but now they have it, the judges are being painted as 'enemies of the people' by the very people who wanted it.

A further paradox is that when the government appeal the decision, as they plan to do, the ruling may have to go to the European Court.

The 52% of people who think that leaving the EU is a good idea (and let's not forget that they only constitute I think about 37% of the electorate - under EU referendum rules this would not have been enough to win) did so for many varied reasons. Some because of immigration, some because they think the trading grass is greener in the outside world, some just because they wanted to protest.

Whatever happens, a large number will be disappointed.

If we go for a hard brexit, trade will undoubtedly suffer and prices in the U will rise as will the price of our exports. But there will be fewer immigrants.

if we go soft, we will maintain trade links, will carry on paying into the EU and will have to accept free movement of people - preferable for me, but the racists and anti-immigrationists and the nationalists will feel like they've been sold down the river.

The high court ruling at least means that this will all be transparent before the decision is made.

And let's not forget that anything we ask for, or offer, is subject to EU veto. The bald truth is that whatever we want, we will probably have to settle for what the EU want to give us.

Yay Brexit.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:37 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 141

After yesterday's Autumn Statement from Chancellor Philip Hammond it now seems Brexit means Broke.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table