WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Pomp sans Circumstance

Old 12-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Tor

Default Pomp sans Circumstance

There once were several so called writers
Who tried hard to be intellectual fighters
Their pens were so sharp
on others they did harp
but on their mistakes couldn’t be quieter

Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Limericks; cute.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

Like clockwork.

Tor posts some lunkheaded commentary -- and instead of responding in the thread, he wimps out and posts a passive agressive limerick or poem.

Unintentionally hilarious.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Like clockwork.

Tor posts some lunkheaded commentary -- and instead of responding in the thread, he wimps out and posts a passive agressive limerick or poem.

Unintentionally hilarious.

Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure he was talking about you with this one. At least he didn't misspell the title of the thread.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure he was talking about you with this one. At least he didn't misspell the title of the thread.
For a genius since nine, it took you quite a long time to catch that one.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
For a genius since nine, it took you quite a long time to catch that one.

Sometimes you monkeys are boring and I look away for a bit.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

For two smart guys, don't know what thrill you get antagonizing others and making clowns of yourselves. With your history (at least one of you) you ought to be compassionate, not insensitive pricks.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

For two smart guys, don't know what thrill you get antagonizing others and making clowns of yourselves. With your history (at least one of you) you ought to be compassionate, not insensitive pricks.

I'm not always an insensitive prick... but when I am...
Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

This thread is going great BTW
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

Heh. If a clown is someone who performs for the amusement of others, I'll cop to that.

As far as I'm concerned, this is mostly fun and games. No one here, including me or you and especially Tor is saying anything that should betaken all that seriously.

And Tor's poem is just another one of his wimpy end-runs, because he can't respond directly to any kind of disagreement or difference of opinion, no matter how deferential you are -- and I've tried.

So sorry, as far as I'm concerned, no compassion or sensitivity is in order.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Heh. If a clown is someone who performs for the amusement of others, I'll cop to that.

As far as I'm concerned, this is mostly fun and games. No one here, including me or you and especially Tor is saying anything that should betaken all that seriously.

And Tor's poem is just another one of his wimpy end-runs, because he can't respond directly to any kind of disagreement or difference of opinion, no matter how deferential you are -- and I've tried.

So sorry, as far as I'm concerned, no compassion or sensitivity is in order.

Err... when he said compassion, I think he was talking about me. Yeah... I'm the compassionate one. But hey, you can be Moe, and I'll be Larry.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:14 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

Naw. Moe seems to have a lot of anger issues. I'd rather be Larry. He's a lot more relaxed.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:24 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Cityboy would actually be a better Moe than either of us. He's always angry.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:35 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

And you know how there's always an old stuck up rich lady who gets a pie in the face? That could be Tor.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:21 AM
Tor

to my point
Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

Right. Because it's so clear we're trying to be "intellectual fighters."

Bless your heart, Tor - you do try.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Tor

The most ‘trying" group in our country is the millennial generation - they have earned nothing, know everything, cry over any bump in their way, they tend to be sarcastic and hateful, use links to explain themselfs, their thought is shallow, they are against everything and for nothing, take no responsibility for what they think or say and are entitled to everything. The greatest punishment that they will receive is the world they will inherit. Of course, every generalization is inherently wrong - including this one. Time will tell and all us old goats will be gone when the results are in. Good luck.
If you are not part of that generation you and your friend should be - you fit like a glove.
I will not argue with the uninformed and the spoiled - I have better things on which to spend my time. Childish attempts to goad me mean nothing like the one’s trying to be bigger than they are by doing it. You are small and nothing you can do will change that so enjoy your bitter words.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

Originally Posted by Tor View Post
The most ‘trying" group in our country is the millennial generation - they have earned nothing, know everything, cry over any bump in their way, they tend to be sarcastic and hateful, use links to explain themselfs, their thought is shallow, they are against everything and for nothing, take no responsibility for what they think or say and are entitled to everything. The greatest punishment that they will receive is the world they will inherit. Of course, every generalization is inherently wrong - including this one. Time will tell and all us old goats will be gone when the results are in. Good luck.
If you are not part of that generation you and your friend should be - you fit like a glove.
I will not argue with the uninformed and the spoiled - I have better things on which to spend my time. Childish attempts to goad me mean nothing like the one’s trying to be bigger than they are by doing it. You are small and nothing you can do will change that so enjoy your bitter words.

Well, I'm fifty years old and work hard everyday. In fact, I'll bet you would probably die the first week you tried to keep up with me. My children are millennials, two in college and another who is a sophomore in high school at 13. Most of their friends are intelligent entrepreneurial young people figuring out how to make a buck in the fucked up world we have left them.

You should be ashamed of yourself for such stupidity. Seriously. America gave your generation a great gift and you allowed assholes to squander it. Again, you should be ashamed of yourself with that self righteous attitude.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:24 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

Oh my. What a soothing fantasy you've created for yourself.

You're always going on about "the uninformed," but the opinions you post here are nothing more than a plodding delivery of simplistic conservative ideology and talking points.

Like your "thought" piece on the Clinton foundation where you'd obviously pulled phony numbers from biased conservative media. When I called you on it, that somehow made me uninformed and a "pseudo-intellectual.” You played your hand in that thread, and clearly showed you can't deal with any kind of criticism or challenge without stomping off in a huff.

I actually think the most trying group, and it's a really big one, are people who claim and believe they are informed, and like you insist they vet all sources, but just about everything they say demonstrates they're just parroting what they read, see or hear from the select sources that reinforce what they already believe.

Is there really more to your “thought” pieces and rants? Not from what we see here. There isn’t an iota of insight, cleverness, originality or irony in any of them. So why do you presume to post them on a writing site where you are bound to encounter people who make at least some effort to think outside a little ideological box? Lack of awareness of ones limitations comes to mind.

Now, none of this would be so bad if it wasn’t for the heavy slathering of totally unearned self-righteousness, the unwavering certainty and air of superiority. What you obviously don’t see is that there is absolutely nothing in what you present here to justify that attitude.

And heaven forbid that someone posts a link and you click on it. You might be confronted with some information that causes you to question something you believe, and we certainly can’t have that.

Your whole act and persona invites sarcasm. So I’ll cop to that. Otherwise not taking you seriously isn’t any kind of evidence that I’m “against everything and for nothing” or that I’m entitled or bitter or anything else you’ve pulled out of thin air.

Is it silly or even a little childish to goad you? Of course it is. I'll cop to that too. Kind of like laughing at a fart in church. But it’s hard not to when you reward it so thoroughly with something like this delusional post of yours or one of your funny/sad retaliatory poems or limericks.

Thank you for delivering...

Last edited by Myers; 12-04-2016 at 07:16 AM..
Old 12-04-2016, 06:11 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

The most ‘trying" group in our country is the millennial generation...
Hard to think of much that isn't lazier or more cliche than millennial bashing. And of course, one of the advantages of being old is that people generally tolerate it when you talk nonsense about young people.

Do ever read any of the business publications -- Forbes or WSJ, etc.? Or how about any business blogs written by people who are out in the workforce day to day?

Somehow I doubt it, but if you did, you might learn something.

Now you would think of all places, where your trite laundry list of negative attributes would manifest itself, it would be the workplace - the sense of entitlement and taking no responsibility etc.

But here's the thing - it doesn't. Whatever laziness and sense of entitlement millenials might have (and I'm not claiming they never have one) seems to vanish when they get a dose of reality in the workplace.

And if at some point they are mollycoddled or feel entitled, why do you think that is?

Where do you think the millennials came from? Were they dropped in eggs from outer space? Was it abiogenisis or the spontaneous generation of life from non-living matter?

No. It all started with the babyboomers and the Dr. Spock philosophy of permissiveness and the child-centric universe. Sorry, but the fault clearly lies with their parents and grandparents.

And of course, the boomers are the original "me" generation, who fostered the sense of entitlement and promoted rampant consumerism and borrowing in the name of the post-war American dream. And they royally fucked up the economy in the process. As long as we're generalizing, that's the legacy of your generation and what you handed to the millennials.

I hire millennials. I work with them everyday. And a lot of my peers do to. I also associate with them through volunteer work that I do, and lots of my friends have children that age.

I don't think I live in some alternative universe, there's nothing unique in my situation or that doesn't logically apply across the board, and I can say from observation and experience that you're grasping at straws as yet another way to feel good about yourself and justify your false sense of superiority.

The criticism of millennials and everything you said is largely another biased media canard, perpetuated by people without any real experience working with or spending time with them. The rest of us know better.

Last edited by Myers; 12-04-2016 at 06:47 AM..
Old 12-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Tor

Its clear that the truth stings. But don't trouble yourself further - I'm done - you win.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

The truth? Ah yes. Sweet, sweet denial.

I hope that means we can expect another thread with one of your fantastic limericks.

I can't wait!

And oh yeah, of course I win. I won when you posted this limerick. I just wanted to take a few victory laps for the excercise.

Last edited by Myers; 12-04-2016 at 09:17 AM..
Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

you win.

That was never in question. I'm sorry you thought it was.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

I probably got carried away.

Read that paragraph of his about millennials, and you should know what you're dealing with.

Last edited by Myers; 12-04-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-04-2016, 02:47 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

I probably got carried away.

Read that paragraph of his about millennials, and you should know what you're dealing with.

I'm recently convinced he's not an old man, but a 12 year old girl. Maybe she just needs some love and good parenting. You know, positive motivation stuff.

Given her lack of understanding about psychology and the workings of the human condition she couldn't have really been a counselor or psychologist.

I'm going to work to extend an olive branch and give her some pride in herself.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 687

My first act of acceptance will be to ask the moderation team to introduce a limericks thread so she has a proper place for her writing.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:31 AM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

Given her lack of understanding about psychology and the workings of the human condition she couldn't have really been a counselor or psychologist.
If you examine that paragraph on millennials, or read the "High Horse" piece, there does seem to be a big disconnect.

I mean, even if you initially bought the notion that millennials as a whole were were that dysfunctional, any astute person would think about how they got that way and realize it didn't happen in a vacuum. Then you would consider all the factors - the recession, the exaggeration in popular culture etc. Additionally you'd want to just look around to see if the perception matched the reality of your experience.

Wouldn't you? And then wouldn't you back off, even if it was just too avoid embarrassing yourself?

Last edited by Myers; 12-05-2016 at 03:59 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing