WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Ok

Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 262

This program could help some people who have credit issues:

https://vimeo.com/41152287

Old 12-02-2016, 05:25 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 262

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Furthermore, the real estate bubble burst of the early 2000's was nothing more than a greedy snatching of single family homes by people who had nothing to lose anyway. Now rents are through the roof because so many people have no other alternative. Credit shot, can't buy a home.

Capitalism as practiced here will always demand more. Every year it will squeeze a little more profit from those that can't defend themselves.

In the next decade there will be a push to privatize institutions once thought sacred. We will be paying for basic human rights through the nose. Sad.
And here's what I don't get; where I live they're building all these new homes, condos and apartments. A lot them in these so-called "work, live, play" complexes. But they haven't filled the ones that have been built and the retail shops and restaurants in those just go in and out business. A lot of it's because of poor planning for traffic and parking.

I don't know how it all works, but somebody is making a shitload of money up front on these things. Why else would it be happening? It just doesn't seem sustainable. If this is going on all over, it seems like the makings of another crash - and we'll all be left holding the bag, as usual.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:00 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 781

I think maybe since the stock market is at all time highs there are people who have lots of cash to spend. Real estate is a good long term investment, I hear.

It's probably a lot more complicated than that, but yeah, I'm not sure who'll be able to afford to live in many of these places.

My company did a repair job recently in an apartment building on a lakeóreal swanky high end apartments. The construction was completed two years ago, and the building has never been more than 40% occupied. The one and two bedroom units go for $3500-$4000 per month which is expensive in AZ. They are also on their third management company in just the two years.

There are dozens of these buildings in various stages of construction. It's like they're waiting for some huge group of rich people to show up.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I don't know how we got on the subject but I like it

have you guys ever played any type of building game on the computer - like Civilization - the original, I know the dark ages of computers - windows 95 but...

The point is I like these sort of games and have played a lot of them. and it seems to me that they compare to the real deal. The banks and other investors have as much money to spend that they (as in the games) do stupid things with their money. Just to keep the game moving so they can make more money (although I'm not sure exactly how they make money).

soon it will get big enough to burst and that's just a fact.

They are building a lot of huge houses around here to and I'm just not sure who they are selling them to.

they say housing is a good investment but, the village (421 people) is invested (12.5 %) in section eight housing (government subsidized, low income) currently 745 unites (in several different places)and still building... 92% occupation rate ( about 60k to build each new unit in a block of five unites, current value is some where around 90 mil)

now, the first 100 that were built cost about 25k each to build and then it started to feed on itself. So for and investment of 1500 dollars to buy .6% fourteen years ago I get just over 4000 a year today and can claim a 48k land holding for loan purposes. so while it is a good investment - I don't know who is making the big bucks.

the banks, I guess, they get a lot more than .6% in loan interest.

max

Last edited by max crash; 12-03-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Old 12-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 624

tRUMP's pick for SecDef Mad Dog Mattis has read Sun Tzu, and is probably a good bit of a non interventionist......

Some of General Mattis’s statements and reasoning follow; my (authors) comments are in italics.

–America doesn’t lose wars, it loses interest.

–We have no overall strategy about how to defeat our enemy. (Just killing them is not working because, as I wrote years ago, the proper analogy comes from Greek mythology, Hercules’ adventure where, for every enemy soldier he killed, ten more sprung up in each one’s place.)

–We don’t understand our enemy. (This refers to Sun Tzu’s classic dictum for war, “Know Thyself and Know Thy Enemy.” Americans have scarce interest in understanding the Muslim world’s history, wants, and fears.)

–Violent Jihad is gaining, not losing ground. (House and Senate intelligence panel chairs say terrorists are gaining. Half of Americans believe us less safe today than prior to 9/11.)

–We need a strategy which does not drive young Muslims to al-Qaeda.

–We must develop a persuasive counter narrative to that of our enemies. (With communism America held the moral high ground; today our Middle East wars have taken it away.)

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:38 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 624

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
I looked at your debt clock and there is a lot of numbers there.

but the 104 tril in "That's debt plus other unfunded liabilities." is the biggest farce you've tried to pull off yet. those are debts that could be erased tomorrow if we decide. they are obligations we are commented to but if you are going to count them as debts then you have to count the taxes that will be paid to meet that obligation as assets.

simple accounting

as far as the numbers, I guess I looked at the government site and not the propaganda site. it's not that much different but if you want to see monsters I guess you can - sort of like I do with a trump presidency.

max
If the US unfunded liabilities are at, say 100 trillion how do you wave a wand to make them go away? And what are the consequences.

I wonder if this guy is a real economist, or if it's just a side gig at Forbes.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlikof.../#6ff893f758a4

Did anyone list the budget deficit at six trillion for 2015? No? If Social Security is such a large part of expenditures, why is this cost not listed as part of the budget?

ALSO: I have not gotten a real response about if reducing our government spending to previous levels, or reducing the size or scope would be good or bad short or long term. Just some quibbling about where the numbers come from, and some murmurings about "yo not economist, Mohican, dey's experts out there and it's all hunky dorey"

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 12-07-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 624

I had considered a change of title for this thread - perhaps TDS, but for now will leave Max's title intact....

As much fun as can be had with the lamentations of angsty progs, a little voice in the back of my head warns me :

"Mohican, this whole tRUMP thing can go sideways in a hurry. More sideways than that time we came through the corners in the Roadrunner and romped on the gas pedal only to spin about three times before correcting......."
But back to laughing at the lamentations of Progs
Time Magazine wants Dems/Hillary Voters to be the next Tea Party movement.... http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-1...-not-pay-taxes

Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 624

I'll just operate under the premise that this very well could be satire....

Probably not safe for children under 22....
link Warning - Possibly NSFW - People upset with broken promises by pro Hillary entertainers

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table