WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

What can you tell me about your experiences with alcohol?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 PM
mussokn (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9
Default What can you tell me about your experiences with alcohol?

Because I'm religious, I've never drank alcohol. I need to do some research though so...

What does alcohol taste like?

And how did you feel the very first time you got drunk?

Are your experiences with alcohol different now? Do you like the taste better? Are you able to hide signs of drunkenness more easily etc?

Please be as detailed as possible.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,140

Originally Posted by mussokn View Post
Because I'm religious, I've never drank alcohol.
Some religions practice the actual consumption of alcohol during their proceedings.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM
MickTheebs (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 65

It tastes like the way rubbing alcohol smells.

I've thrown up from drinking too much.

A lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MickTheebs For This Useful Post:
mussokn (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:57 PM
mussokn (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Some religions practice the actual consumption of alcohol during their proceedings.

I'm a Muslim and Muslims don't drink.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Redlorry

The taste of alcohol depaends on what you choose to drink, beer, cider, wine, spirits, liqueurs etc.

If you only have one or two most people will be fine (no comment on drink driving that's completely different).

If you drink when depressed you will get more depressed

If you drink when you're happy you'll get smililer

If you drink in a party environment you'll likely get louder and bolder.

But there a line's... when I've had too much too drink, i.e. I'm going to regret it in the morning, I get a tingly feeling in my knees. That's when I know it's time to stop and have some water or lemonade etc. Most of the time I pay attention to the line. But sometimes I ignore it, mainly at parties. I pay for that big time - throwing up and feeling awful the next day, all day.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Redlorry; 04-13-2011 at 08:56 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
mussokn (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Not that I drink often, but I find I tend to stop when my walking's not great so I don't fall on my ass or my focus isn't there so I don't start knocking glasses over etc. (friend of mine loved me one time for that). So, I always stop before I get bad. Normally leads to me walking home with friends who are drunk, but I'm not. Which can be amusing, especially considering my friends said the other day when we were walking back from the cinemas on a friday after watching Limitless, 'you forget how many assholes are out late at night in town'. And it's like, 'yeah, but we're like them when we've been drinking as well'. Favorites are friends walking home with traffic cones and getting pulled up by police about it. Or a friend running and crashing into a stop sign and complaining 'my hand hurts!' because he landed on it.

In any case, I don't drink beer. So, can't relate to that. Only really drink brandy and coke or those WKDs/Smirnoff Ice. I find I tend to speak more often, as I'm mostly quiet. Funnily enough though, I find I tend to type better after a few drinks when chatting online, probably because I'm not too far gone and I'm more self-conscious of making typos.

Morning wise? Feel sick for half the day at least, though I've not thrown up yet thankfully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by DavidGil; 04-13-2011 at 04:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidGil For This Useful Post:
mussokn (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 655

Alcohol can be just as demonic as any drug... but as you become a more experienced drinker (and you have any brains) you should learn your limits and what drinks agree/disagree with you. The need/want to self destruct and alter ones state of mind, to me, is inherently human. I admire those who have the discipline to resist.

One of my favourite comedians is Dylan Moran, he breaks it down very well in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfDLDB4g0F4
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 856

This should give you an idea of the power of alcohol...true story.

At the turn of the 19th century zoos were gaining in popularity. Out intrepid hunter Frank Buck decided to be the first to capture an Orangutan and bring it to captivity. Until then it had never been done.

On safari for one they spotted an adult Oragutan high up in a tree. There was no way to get it down without harming or killing the animal. A plan was formed.

At the base of a tree they placed a very large bucket filled with water. At night the Orangutan would come down and get his fill then climb back up. Gradually they began adding small amounts of wine to the water until the mixture was more wine than water. The Orangutan kept drinking and finally, hammered on his monkey ass, he passed out next to the empty bucket.

They caged him and bought him back and put him a zoo. He was a hit!

In a nutshell that is what alcohol can do. You drink enough of the stuff and you will wake up behind bars looking like an Orangutan. It ain't pretty.

Cheers!
"There are over five hundred and fifty million weapons in world wide circulation. Enough to arm one out of every twelve people on this planet. The question is, how do we arm the other eleven?" Lord of War
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaines For This Useful Post:
JustcallmeEd (01-11-2014), mussokn (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314

Who paid the sot's bar bill in the zoo? What kind of wine? Mad Dog 20/20? I'm betting that when he was "mellow," he would crap in his hand and fling it on the stupid visitors.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,140

I'm a Muslim and Muslims don't drink.
Yeah, I knew that. I've been reading you since y'all showed up.
What I am illustrating is the need to focus your written statements.
Concise composition is preferable to blanket blurting for imparting a particular message.

Because I'm religious, I've never drank alcohol. Blanket syntax.
Because I am a Muslim I do not drink alcohol. Concise syntax.

I am Muslim. I do not consume alcohol. Also concise with more vibrancy.

All of this is simply my opinion, mussokn. Not lookin' to fault your writing. Lookin' to show ya what I would need to keep reading.
mussokn (04-14-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 856

Orangutans are Buddhists..they drink.
"There are over five hundred and fifty million weapons in world wide circulation. Enough to arm one out of every twelve people on this planet. The question is, how do we arm the other eleven?" Lord of War
Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,140

First the man takes a drink
Next the drink takes a drink
Then the drink takes the man

Drinking has made a monkey's uncle out of me.
Many times.
mussokn (04-14-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
longknife (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 88
Icon6

First - you don't have to drink alcoholic beverages to learn what they will taste like. Their aroma arouses the senses and the nose accompanies the palatte.

I grew up in a house where alcohol consumption was common - and my father was a mean drunk. So, the smell of alcohol was not unusual to me. I even think there was a time or two when one of the adults let me take a tiny sip.

But, my grandmother took me to a church where drinking alcohol was a sin. So, I never drank until - I entered the Army and got sent to France.

I never liked beer but became fond of wine and cognac. As a young GI, I can tell you a couple of times when I let alcohol get the best of me. What was it like? A numbness. A loss of self-control. I remember wading through a pond in the middle of Bordeaux with some buddies trying to catch goldfish - then having to run like hell when the Gendarmes came after us. The resulting hangover was unforgetable.

But, it didn't stop me from drinking!

We had a poker game in the barracks that started early Friday evening. I remember, beside beer, we had lots of Four Roses with coca cola mixers. Sometime Saturday night, I lay on my bunk, staring up at the ceiling, unable to move and wondering why the world seemed unreal. Again, an epic hangover.

I cannot tell you when I reached the point of not drinking anymore. I did manage to attain a time when drinking in moderation was more important to me. In the last 20 plus years I have probably had less than 20 drinks of alcoholic beverages and that was usually only a glass of wine with dinner.

That probably doesn't answer your question, but I hope it gives you some idea.

The history of the California missions

Life in the military and general ramblings

My latest story

Last edited by longknife; 04-22-2011 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: can't spell
The Following User Says Thank You to longknife For This Useful Post:
mussokn (04-23-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Ettina (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I could also use advice on this because I'm autistic and can't drink due to sensory sensitivities (pretty much any alcoholic beverage I've come across smells horrible, and I'd have to wash my mouth out between swallows with something drinkable to actually get any of it down). I've been told it's pretty hard to describe what it's like to be drunk to a person who's never experienced it.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Lillijen (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 4

Background on me: 5 foot 3 female, small build. Caucasian. 27.

What does alcohol taste like? Premixed Vodka drinks are often very sweet, as are Baileys and Amarulla. Like alcoholic milkshakes minus any milk bubbles. Cocktails are also very tasty and can be fruity or milky. Wine can be tart, or sour, or fruity depending on what type. Whites are usually tart or sour. Reds are thicker in taste, heavier.

During? I felt great. Singing, dancing, life of the party. Cracking jokes. Afterwards? Woozy. Weaving around like I had a really bad head cold without the symptoms. The next day I could only eat weetbix, and eve those I was gagging on. No vomiting, thank goodness, but I seriously considered it at one stage. I'm just very bad at vomiting.

Are your experiences with alcohol different now? Do you like the taste better? Are you able to hide signs of drunkenness more easily etc?
I don't drink that much any more. I drink very rarely, so one standard drink is enough to get me pleasantly fuzzy in the head. I've taken up wine recently because I'm on a sugar-free diet and sweet drinks aren't allowed (full of sugar). I like red more than white because it's not so attacking on the tongue.

There are differences in how people of different size and race process alchohol, so you might want to add that to your research.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 AM
OrionDarkwood (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 7
Icon6

Because I'm religious, I've never drank alcohol. I need to do some research though so...

What does alcohol taste like?

Please be as detailed as possible.
Actually you could get a idea what alcohol by trying non-alcoholic versions of drinks or by tasting the things that go into a alcoholic drink that you are researching.

Failing that, the answer is its like everything else it depends on the type of liquor, the age, the taster opinions of that liquor. Some people will tell you beer tastes great to me it tastes like malted urine. However I drink Scotch and many people hate the taste of Scotch.. My ex-wife had issues with one brand of Scotch I drank because in her opinion it smelled like burnt grass and tasted like a smoky dried cow dung.

As far as the feeling of being drunk again its going to vary from person to person like me I tend to have 5 stages of drunkenness Huggy, Horny, Quantum (yea I tend to talk about deep subjects while toasted), Sleepy, Pukey

Lastly my experience with alcohol is better since I drink less, drink better quality liquor and I don't drink to get drunk.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:17 PM
GypsySoul (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Half-way through my second glass of wine, I start feeling warm and a little giddy. After my second, I drink a bottle of water. My third does little, I just feel good and laugh at stupid stuff. I stop after that. Fruity, with a little bit of a tingle like rubbing alcohol. I prefer dry wines, which are more sour, but my sister likes sweet desert wines.

A cheap American beer helps me relax before I go to bed, or calm down after a stressful day at work. It's usually what I have with my boyfriend, who can't hold his alcohol at all. I only drink one, because they taste nasty. Like bitter, bread-flavored water.

My dad's imported German beers make me feel like one of the guys. I'll sip one during a game of poker or a "Father's Day movie" like Die Hard, or sometimes on holidays. It's like drinking bread, but a flavorful homemade bread, not watered down.

I don't drink hard liquor, because while the Bible approves of alcohol consumption (Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine!), it uses fairly strong language against drunkenness. I don't know how many shots of whiskey I could drink without getting drunk, and I'm not ready to try.
I never fancied being lumbered.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 703

I used to be a bartender and saw a lot of stages of drunkenness.
It varies from pleasant, courteous flirtatious behavior to all out rudeness when you refuse to pour an other drink for someone who is clearly over his own limit. (when they are puking on your bar, or fall off their stool, that is usually a sign)
It put me off from drinking hard liquor, beer just reeks of stale urine and white wine is almost always tart.
Leaving me red wine. If you can find a decent bottle of red, it rolls on the tongue like silk on a baby's skin, leaving only a pleasantly warm feeling pooling in your stomach.
Drink too much and you will have a headache the next morning, no matter how good the wine, because all alcohol dehydrates the brain giving you that world famous hangover headache.
which can only be cured by drinking lots and lots of water to rehydrate the brain.
Be smart and hold on to all of your precious braincells, don't start if you have never been drinking.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

I don't drink either... at least not now anyway. But I would smoke the hell out of some hashish if I had it.

"red wine in an ole fruit jar, makes you want to say hi-de-ho

first time to take a drink, chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug"

Roger would dislike me butchering his lyrics.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Arin Lee (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

If these posts haven't helped so far it may be better to be more specific, especially with descriptions like taste.

Just like any food or drink it'll come down to personal preference and the way people handle their alcohol (in the biological manner and social manner) will vary hugely.

For me I can't really remember the first time I got drunk, probably because I didn't realise it was happening. Sometimes you don't know it until you try to stand up.
I do remember that most alcohol tastes rank the first time you try it, most are an acquired taste and some you never get used too. Some can remind you of other tastes (I'm looking at you cheeky vimto) and are instantly nice (if you like the "original" taste) and if you can't detect the alcohol in them (again, cheeky vimto) they can be pretty lethal if you're not careful in counting how many you've had.
I like the taste of some things better now than when I first tried them, particularly ales, beer and lager but the taste in my memory is better than reality as I all too often re-discover.

Additionally beer and ale make me feel a bit tight in the chest, wine (especially whites) gives me more of a headache than most alcohol but vodka and a mixer (eg vodka and cola) I'm fine on with very little negative effects the next morning.

Maybe it's because I don't binge but moderate my drinking and have the occasional soft drink throughout the night but I don't really suffer much the next day and getting a cup of tea and some fresh air generally ends any lingering effects.

As for hiding the effects I'm afraid I can't really tell. I may think I'm hiding it well, but most likely I'm really, really not. Drunk people generally look more like idiots than they feel. I prefer to never really let myself get to that point in the first place.

This post makes me feel like a pretty heavy drinker but I'm really not (that's not sarcasm ^-^).

Last edited by Arin Lee; 04-16-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Ethan Blake (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 347
Send a message via AIM to Ethan Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Ethan Blake

As a seasoned imbiber I can assure you that alcohol is a great leveller, the more you drink the closer to level you can get. I drank whisky as a younger man and was amazed at how everybody else got so belligerent. Since changing to Vodka people seem a lot more amenable and I don't get a hangover.
After forty five years of practice coupled with diligent application, I have attained grade four whereby I can now drink vodka and coke until it comes out my ears without losing the desire to drive home (Even if I am home) I can hold conversations for hours with various people without causing offence and not remember one word or person the next day.
I can eat cold leftover meals from two days previous with great relish and no real after effects. (The alcohol kills bacteria)
I get to sleep in the most amazing and innovative places and am constantly entertained by the new friends I have made when I wake in their homes.
I can always find my car no matter where it hides.
I am Nokia's favourite customer!
Hope this helps
Best regards
D

'THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD!'

Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 703

That in itself is an entertaining story Ethan. Thanks for the smile playing around my lips.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Minbard (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 44

When you are very drunk, you are numb to the world. You can't feel hot or cold, although occasionally you feel warm even when it's freezing outside. When you are very drunk lying down and pressing your face against something really cold seems like heaven.

The world moves. Spin around - do it again - and again - spin until you're dizzy and the world revolves around you - ha! you are now drunk! Of course, when your head stops spinning the world calms down. If you're drunk that spinning stays with you! You find it hard to stay on your feet because the ground tips up and hits you in the face. You reach out to touch a wall only to find it's about a foot further away than you thought, with predictable results. Fortunately, because you're drunk, you can't feel the raw scrape now decorating the side of your face. The tickle of your blood dripping is kind of pleasant though.

You might feel sick. This is ok and normal. Some seriously greasy chips will help with that. Except you can't remember how to get to the chipshop. Or how to get home. You are liable to select a random bus/train and end up somewhere unknown, but you won't care very much. You've lost your money, and maybe a shoe. You hit your shin on something hard and yellow (it's a salt-grit bin). This should have a stitch and you will get a nice scar - but right now you don't even feel it.

Period of no memory...

You wake up at three am, totally naked, on a random sofa.

Period of no memory....

You vomit and then stagger up to bed. The bed swoops and sways unnecessarily violently as you close your eyes. You have an incipient headache that feels like someone is hitting you between the eyes with a hammer.

Hangover time... but you've made it home safe, although your shin has a raised bruise the size of an egg and is covered in blood.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 703

I'm beginning to think I like drunk stories!
But it is seriously throwing me even further off trying a drinking binge myself.

Coffee to counter the hangover Minbard?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Chance (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

It depends, if your a binge drinker you skip the whole buzz and drunkenness and gos traight to the wasted/vomit/blackout feeling, there's a fine balance that is easily crossed.
For Hard Liquors like straight Vodka or Whiskey drinking feels like pouring fire down your throat.
The first time I got drunk I had drank about 8 shots of Rum, and refusing to believe I was drunk, I said "I'm find!" over and over again, and yes I said find when I meant fine. I had a brilliant idea to drink more shots of rum, so at the end of the night I really drank 10-12 shots.I got so drunk that I vomited the entire contents of my stomach. When I walked to my room, I would literally trip on my own feet to the ground, nearly pass out, and then get up again before finally collapsing in my office chair. I drank so much that I blacked out, and I have no recollection of what happened the rest of the night. All I know is I woke up with a hangover the size of Alaska and coffee did nothing at all. I think I had a hangover for 2 days. I literally crawled into a fetal position on my bed for hours at a time(it was Summer) and just laid there.
I bing drinked a few more times before I finally decided that I was a giant moron and I needed to stop not only for health reasons, but also for certain legal reasons, I never got caught, mainly because I got drunk at night, and being hungover is easy to hide as just being tired.
The sad thing is I never actually got a buzz because I always drinked too much.

Moral of the Story: Sometimes laws are there for a reason, and just because you can get totally wasted on alcohol under 21, doesn't mean you should.

Total Words: 3783
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 PM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 56
Default you should try it.

I know it's against your religion but try it once to stave off ignorance.

As far as my own personal experience being drunk one time back in Baltimore when I was like 19. Me and a group of friends where just hanging out at a hotel lobby watching TV. We decided to make a run to the store for Cognac (a strong liquor). Anyway, being young I did not know how strong it was but since it was not that bitter I made fun of them for mixing it with stuff before they drank it (lol). When it was my turn to drink I filled half a beer mug with Cognac to drink it straight. They all looked at me like they had seen a ghost. Still I chugged down all of it. Nothing happened so I told them "see? see? you wussies!"

4 minutes later I started complaining that all the tiles on the floor had disappeared. I started screaming at the receptionist that somebody replaced the tiles with carpet since I could not see any of the lines that used to be there. the words slurred and where incoherent "There never was tiles but tiles came and you took them. Deliver the carpet" haha haha. I still laugh when they tell me that story. They had to carry me up to my hotel room. I was singing some song when we made it up the stairs. I passed out for like 4 hours.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:00 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

I'd help ya out, but I don't drink any more.

'Course, I don't drink any less, either...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM
MaliciousFriday (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Had vodka once. Tasted like how rubbing alcohol smells.

I had like 2 1/2 cups and quit.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section