WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Cover Critique - Unleash and Refine Your Inner Artist

Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I'm going to post a couple of things for you to look at -- some variations on the type and how to edit the image.

The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Brilliant. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Here are a few type variations. I added some sky so I could move the image down and make more room for the title. I also darkened and blurred the foreground so your name would pop more. I could do the retouching for you -- and the type for that matter. I can do this stuff pretty quickly and easily. Let me know.

Whiskers (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post

I like this one best.

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to Whisper For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 03:17 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

I agree with Whisper--love the frist one, Joe. *Big grin* There's a lot of space around the words that give it the lettering that lost feel too (but in a good way).

Would you mind touching it up? Seriously? I can't even begin to figure out how you brightened up the author name like that!

I'm still waiting for the final go-ahead and the proper size I need if I do get the go-ahead. If I do get said go-ahead, I'm looking to purchase the print on Tuesday. There be no rush whatsoever.

An thank you for the offer. I can credit you on site (lol, I can make sure there's a disclaimer that states you are nothing to do with BDSM, as I do with all my reference sources, consultants etc). ). And let me know how much you charge.

Last edited by Whiskers; 01-18-2014 at 03:20 AM..
Old 01-18-2014, 05:09 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Sure, I can touch it up.

To make the author name look "brighter," I darkened the foreground and then blurred it slightly and reduced the contrast so the planks in the dock wouldn't look so busy. All that gave it more contrast with the white type so it would pop more. I made it bigger too.

As long as you can see what needs to be done, this kind of retouching in Photoshop is a matter of selecting an area, running a filter and making a few adjustments. It only takes a few minutes. I might as well do the type too while I'm at it now that I have it set up. No charge and no need for a credit either.

The important thing is that the image is of a sufficient size/resolution. It shouldn't be too large to email -- I'll PM you my address.

P.S. -- If you like the more spacious feel -- I think it would be worth taking a look at reducing the size of the title some on the others. I'm kind of partial to the second myself -- has kind of movie poster feel to it.
Whiskers (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Joe, If I link to the picture on Fotolia, which size would you recommend buying?

Fotolia: Man on the old broken wooden pier.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

My guess is that M will work. But I'd get the specs for the cover to make sure before buying it.
Whiskers (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Will do.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Joe, If I link to the picture on Fotolia, which size would you recommend buying?

Fotolia: Man on the old broken wooden pier.
Probably too late to chime in on this, but I'd recommend the Large. eBook cover dimensions vary through different publishers and distributors, but they want 1000px width at the very minimum, at least 1400px width for good resolution. The covers I make are usually 1435x1913px, which completely cover a standard 6" eReader screen. The larger size for the image also gives you more freedom to reuse it or change the dimensions (if you want to zoom in on a certain aspect, etc...) for banners and such =) My rule of thumb is, always go a size bigger than the minimum you need. Just in case.

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to Whisper For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Whisper, that's brilliant thank you. And no, it's not too late. I'm just looking at getting the image now. I think the largest dimesions I've been given are 800x1200 (2:3 ratio). But I am worried that the guy in the pic will dissapear in thumbnail size, so manipulating the L-size will no doubt help with that!

Thank you.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM
Seedy M. (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 74

I always concentrate on eye catching. Some friends and I made a test in a bookstore some years ago in a study of what a cover needs.
First and foremost: color.
Second: simplicity. Title and author. Period. Save the blurbs for the back cover. The object is to get the book into the customers' hands.
A dark cover will work if there is a bright part, even a black background with a bright yellow title will work
By far the best was bright colors. The table we laid out was a special sales table that almost everyone who came in the place went to first. We mixed the two hundred sixteen books into a pile. People would either pick up the brightest ones first or rummage for a specific book and/or author.
Science Fiction should be dark with bright stars or other effects.
Romance should feature people.
Murder should have both dark and light.
In all cases except non-fiction, very few layers (added little items).
Here is the cover for one I'm writing at the moment. It's about a week from completion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abn f.jpg (19.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:57 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,691

Hello everyone! An author friend of mine would like some feedback on her cover, please, if she may. Thank you muchly!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Intriguing concept... the trees look to mimic grey matter (the brain), stem cells come to mind...

Colours are great, but I think there's a lot of space at the top where the author's name sits. I dunno, I'd keep the title where it is, move the art up a touch, and the name.

But that's just my humbles. Images and colours will good in thumbnail size! Which is vital!

The Following User Says Thank You to Whiskers For This Useful Post:
Devon (09-01-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Howard_B (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hi all, I am self publishing to KDP this week and this is my proposed cover, designed part by my nephew and part by me .... any gentle thoughts ?
It's a spy/crime thriller.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

I think if it's reduced to thumbnail size, the blue fingerprint could be hard to decipher, Howard. Have you played around with colours at all? "Vineyard" itself seems a little blurry to me (because of the underlying effect of the 101011 ETC). My eyesight isn't fantastic, but I think it's wise just to take into account (us with not so good vision might see it as blurred ).

Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 AM
Howard_B (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Thanks for those comments whispers.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 PM
nomadreid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default I'm missing images

Why do some of the book cover images referred to in the posts not appear for me? Some do, some don't. Any idea why?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM
MY_NAME (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default A Pawn Shop, Addiction & Existentialism

Last edited by MY_NAME; 09-06-2016 at 01:41 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing