WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

a request to all members

Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880
Icon7 a request to all members

I suggest we make a forum or part of forum or time where members request other members to write about a topic
it could be in either poetry or prose

for example everyday a member is chosen to select another member to write about something.

the rest of us may or may not join in the critique or comment of the piece,
nothing heavy just few comment to say whether it was good fun or boring

what say you?

you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 03-25-2015, 05:08 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 342

I think you would have to give more than a day since people have things to do.

Why don't you ask the administrators if you can do a prompt like this. Whoever starts PMs the next person and states it at the end of their story with the topic.

Plus, you would need the people consent.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

asking the admin sounds like a good place to start
lets see what they say
anyway what is more important then writing hey?!
it is just a question of getting around it .
it could be a good incentive to het people writing and participating
a timetable could be drawn and we all take it in turns.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:32 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,690

anyway what is more important then writing hey?!
One's job.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:34 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
One's job.
LOL tell me about it,
anyway what do you think Devon?
a suggestive forum where members can join in and invite others to write about a topic they like
then exchange views points about it.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

This sounds rather similar to the Prompts & Challenges section we already have, so if there is enough interest the easiest way to implement it would be to amend the rules and function of the Prompts & Challenges section.

Demonstrate interest from other members and I’ll look into the details of modifying Prompts & Challenges.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

I am definitely interested.
I hope many will.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 AM
jimr (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 32

Sounded like a great idea until I saw the word poetry (ugh). Seriously, I think you need to corral a few members into a close knit group for this. And do yourself a favor—do not mention poetry. I myself can't, but good luck.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Sounded like a great idea until I saw the word poetry (ugh). Seriously, I think you need to corral a few members into a close knit group for this. And do yourself a favor—do not mention poetry. I myself can't, but good luck.
it is both but separately.
one group for poetry
and
another for prose

what have you got against poetry anyway?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 AM
jimr (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 32

Hate it. Just hate it. And I'm a published poet, I've even been paid for a couple of my poems; but I hate it.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Hate it. Just hate it. And I'm a published poet, I've even been paid for a couple of my poems; but I hate it.
there is a surprise!!
a paid poet and you don't like it ...interestingly confusing.
what can I say I chose poetry anytime over books.
it is like fresh air to me
Old 06-03-2015, 09:20 AM
JMummey (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 22

I like this idea Count me in! Definitely include the option for folks to pass it on to someone else if they don't want to do it (or it passes on by default after a certain time period)
The Following User Says Thank You to JMummey For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 794

It sounds fun - but the constraint will always be time Nacia.

How do you feel about running it as a game thread? First person posts the topic - next person produces the response. If it's spontaneous, members won't feel pressured or obligated. Perhaps suggest no more than ten lines. Leave it to the individual to decide whether they respond with poetry or prose...at the end of their piece, they post up the next title challenge.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 06-03-2015 at 01:07 PM..
Old 06-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
It sounds fun - but the constraint will always be time Nacia.

How do you feel about running it as a game thread? First person posts the topic - next person produces the response. If it's spontaneous, members won't feel pressured or obligated. Perhaps suggest no more than ten lines. Leave it to the individual to decide whether they respond with poetry or prose...at the end of their piece, they post up the next title challenge.
not a bad idea actually lets see ....
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 152

nacia, here.

💭

Last edited by chat bot; 02-24-2016 at 06:21 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
Nacia (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 07:43 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 507

Whats with the constant necromancing of ancient threads? Its getting difficult to find new stuff. All I see in the new threads list is Chatbot's name. Its getting tiresome.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CandraH For This Useful Post:
wyf (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 08:03 AM
Binx B

I have enough trouble writing what I want to write, never mind what someone else wants me to write.

But if this happens, can you ask me to write something about organizing a sock drawer? I'm kind of an expert.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 583

Hey Binx - could you write a fictional piece about organizing a sock drawer?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Binx B

Oh, but it couldn't be fictional. It's something I live out every day, with a true passion.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
I have enough trouble writing what I want to write, never mind what someone else wants me to write.

But if this happens, can you ask me to write something about organizing a sock drawer? I'm kind of an expert.
LOL very funny
go on then can you write it for all to read??

Last edited by Nacia; 02-24-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 880

Originally Posted by chat bot View Post
nacia, here🍺.

thanks chat bot
Old 02-24-2016, 01:26 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I would play, but this has been tried before and no takers, I even wrote a lead-in piece where the characters were already defined and I only asked for 500 words. and no takers.

work is cop out, any writer that can't crank out 500 words of fiction in a couple of hours should seriously think about not calling themselves a write. There are no facts to check, no rules, just crank out 500 words of fiction in this case.

I would also suggest that there be a, honor system, time limit, so, two hours (or less)
once the two hours are up you post, whether it needs editing or not.

as chat bot did in her ten minute challenge, we can look and see who took her up on the challenge.

now I am going to beat the dead horse, surly you are working on something you would like to post, this particular post is going to be one of those things for me. I was tired of writing the story I was writing and came here for a little off time.

most of the time when I am writing a story there are parts that I have trouble with - a character that doesn't quite jell, a scene that is flat, a action that you wonder whether is believable or not.

I write those out and post them, with a specific question sometimes. I get very few replies.

now while I know that I am the GREATEST writer in the world it would be nice for someone to slap me down from time to time so my head doesn't go up like the Hindenburg.

it's like tau said, this should be covered under prompts and challenges - but I don't see may prompts or challenges, and I see even fewer writer answering the call when there are prompts and challenges.

so give me 500 words in less than two hours on what it would be like to have a 20' boat being swamped with water and sinking 10 miles out to sea. now you see I haven't mentioned a storm or a leak in the boat or any cause - it's all up to you.

this is a no brainer.

now I have to go, I'm rebuilding a barn that burned recently, the concrete is ready and it time to place, set, and stabilize - 36, 30 foot long - 10'' poles. They also have to be standing straight.

Then I have an hour to work on a 500 word piece.

I sure hope some one takes the challenge because there is nothing on TV tonight. I'd like to write a 500 word story but given the turnout for these things, I'm not going to post first, I have before and no takers.

sort of disgusted with the so called writers on this site.

hell I'll even write a sestina if it'll help (that's not really a punishment I really like to write them. I'm just not very good at it. bad choice of subject matter mostly)

looking for some hope

Max Crash.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Binx B

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
I would play, but this has been tried before and no takers, I even wrote a lead-in piece where the characters were already defined and I only asked for 500 words. and no takers.

work is cop out, any writer that can't crank out 500 words of fiction in a couple of hours should seriously think about not calling themselves a write. There are no facts to check, no rules, just crank out 500 words of fiction in this case.
The thing is, not everyone wants to crank out 500 words based on someone else's idea or prompt. I don't care if I could do it in a couple of hours, I'd consider that a waste of time. That doesn't mean I'm not a writer, it just might mean I'm not interested in adding on to another writer's unresolved crap just for the hell of it. Life is too short.

Last edited by Binx B; 02-24-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Old 02-24-2016, 06:21 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 152

my idea was better. oO. crash likes nacho.

💭
Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

binx - I think you may have proven yourself wrong --- you just cranked out about 80 word on why you were not going to write something --- how many post like this do you do a day? wouldn't writing a short story of some length be more advantageous to improving your writing skills.

and if we were all writing on the same subject then wouldn't the critiques be ,to some degree, the stories of the other writer as they explored their writing ideas on the same subject.

if you think I'm kidding then just name the subject and I'll write 500 words on your choice, and I'll do it in less than a hour - start to finish - provided it not something I have to research.

chat - I agree - the ten minute write was fun

ok didn't get all the poles in the ground yesterday - got a half dozen left, ran into a problem with a low corner and to keep from building a three foot retaining wall we shifted the barn 15 feet to the north. - it took some time to remark where to put the poles.

two of my crew had dates and told me to go to hell when dark came, and three others had a basketball game at school, leaving only me and my brother to work into the night hours.

I can't hold that against them they are young and have a whole bag of wild oats to get rid of. I pretended I was mad but they saw right through me, Kathy kissed my cheek and told me she would be back today at noon to help. They all waved as they piled in the truck and headed back to the house with the rear tires spinning.

my brother, Jerry and I turned our attention to one of the post hole that the auger on the tractor couldn't get five foot deep. it had a big rock in it and about the two foot level. after about a half hour we got a hole about 10 inches deep and 3 inches in diameter in the rock and packed it full of diesel and fertilizer tossed and old cotton shirt on top of it and lit it.

We ran away very fast. Jerry has a gimp leg and normally walks slow but it seems when it comes to running from and explosion he's faster than I am.

we took cover and waited for the ballast, and just when it seemed it wasn't going to come -- it did. rocks and dust and every other kind of shit there is shot out of that hole like a volcano. We were pelted with the stuff as it fell back to earth.

we felt very good about the work, but when we went up to see,

the rock, while busted up pretty good was still there.

well we went up to the store room to get some 'different' supplies.

we were in and almost out with 8, two gallon jugs of bleach when Jerry's wife caught us. She first asked what the explosion was and then noticed the bleach,

she yelled as we begrudgingly put the bleach back,

"Are you two nuts crazy, you can't blow it up with fertilizer so you're going to make C4. John, Linda's waiting supper on you and Jerry you're coming with me."

I will say that cooler heads prevailed but it wasn't near as much fun, and the C4 wouldn't have been ready until this morning anyway. Now we it's going to take all day to make it.

this is a true story. and yes you can make a type of plastic explosive out of bleach and some other things. It's not as potent as C4 - but I bet it works just fine.

I'll tell you later, hopefully. (place evil scientist laugh here){651 words- 25 minutes}

max crash

Last edited by max crash; 02-25-2016 at 07:52 AM..
Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Binx B

Max, I post in spurts here. Work is a little slow now, so my posts are a little longer. I can go days without posting much or I just come by to drop in a one-liner or two.

But I don't equate writing posts with writing fiction. For me it's a completely different mindset and process, so no, I don't think I've proven myself wrong.

I really have no interest in working with someone else's story or characters. The sense of ownership and the joy that comes from getting those things right in a way that matters to a reader is what makes it all worthwhile to me. Otherwise, it's just a writing exercise.

It's simply a choice based on preference and to a degree, time. It has absolutely nothing to do with copping out or any inability to crank out a certain amount of words in a given time. And frankly, it's pretty presumptuous of you to think so. I think we're all motivated by different things.

Keep in mind, I've been putting all of this in terms my preference. I've tried writing to various prompts etc. and it's not something I enjoy. But if you feel it's beneficial and you can get others interested, then go for it.

As wrc always says, have a good writing day.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 507

Shrug. When we're on here posting in the general sections, we're all just talking. If we wanted to actually write, we'd be posting in the creativity or challenge sections so yeah, saying someone just wrote a post so that makes them fair game for the challenge thing, is kind of silly. Just saying

Re the op since its been brought back up. I'm with others who said it sounds mostly like the challenges section. If it was just playful and fun, it would work best in the boredgames section. And yeah, I think you'd need a lot of people to make it work. This is a small forum so there might not be many people around to even notice it let alone join in.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:04 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
Whats with the constant necromancing of ancient threads? Its getting difficult to find new stuff. All I see in the new threads list is Chatbot's name. Its getting tiresome.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

I thought the anything goes thread in board games was going to be the sort of thread that Nacia was suggesting but it seems like chatbot only started it as an excuse to keep posting his own rambles there.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 152

@binx bu, do you like EXERCISING? and @ the others, would you stop thinking about the hindenburg?

💭
Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

resurrected threads - you know I always go back to an old book I've read a hundred times or a movie that I've seen a hundred times when I'm bored out of my mind and there is 'nothing new' to do.

maybe those resurrected threads are just old friends or to the new member something that they would like to talk about ---- or much more likely the poster just didn't notice the date it was originally posted.

the fact remains that challenges and prompts are lost on the current 'players' of the WB.

max

Last edited by max crash; 02-26-2016 at 10:34 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback