WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Smashwords - Need Some Comments

Old 03-26-2015, 11:07 AM
longknife (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 88
Default Smashwords - Need Some Comments

I've self-published some works on Kindle and, because I selected KDP, removed them from Nook. I am re-writing them and have removed them from KDP and am think of releasing them on Nook - and maybe Smashwords.

So, I'm curious to know what anybody's experience has been with Smashwords. What kind of support do they give? What is the publishing experience like?

Do they have a forum where authors can exchange information?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The history of the California missions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life in the military and general ramblings

My latest story

Old 07-20-2016, 12:02 AM
nomadreid (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Smashwords forum

Smashwords itself does not have a forum, but there is a forum called "Smashwords Forum" which you can sign up for. (Google it to get the address.) It has no affiliation with Smashwords, but was started by someone who thought there should be a forum on it. However, it has only recently got going, so the membership is still limited, so the number of replies you will get will also be. As far as Smashwords support: in their FAQs they are very clear on what they do and what they do not do, so it depends what your needs are. They don't edit your book, but they do give you clear indications in the style guide how to do so, and give you links for various independent editors, book cover designers, etc, if you want to pay for such services. Altogether Smashwords offers less than a paid service, but still quite a lot for free. And you have the assurance that Smashwords is not trying to rip you off. Direct support: I emailed them a question, and got an immediate and satisfactory reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to nomadreid For This Useful Post:
longknife (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 03:46 PM
longknife (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 88

Thanks. I am going to self-publish my next novel about different treatments for PTSD on Kindle and will use KDP. When that runs out, I'll go to CreateSpace to do the paperback.

My latest story

Old 07-20-2016, 09:21 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi.

I spent a lot of time trying to master Smashwords and realized my old computer and software wasn't up to it. While going thru that experience I was very impressed with Smashwords. I have an oversensitive bullshit detector and not once did I hear a false note in anything there. I came to trust them.

Now that I have a better computer I may tackle the mobile formatting issue once again, with them.

Good luck with your plans. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi longknife.

It's exciting that you're about to publish. I hope you succeed beyond your expectations! Please keep us informed of your experiences as you proceed. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
longknife (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 12:44 PM
longknife (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 88

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Hi longknife.

It's exciting that you're about to publish. I hope you succeed beyond your expectations! Please keep us informed of your experiences as you proceed. wrc
Actually, I just released a story called Bullets and Beans ... and a few missing things that is selling quite well. It's all a matter of finding the right buttons to hit.

My latest story

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing