WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Have You Updated Your Blog Lately?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:09 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Default Have You Updated Your Blog Lately?

I was certain there was a thread about this here. But, as I can't find it, I thought I'd start one.

I just did this morning:

The trials and tribulations of writing historical fiction - you're going along nicely, pleased with your progress, and someone offers you a new source of information - of something you've already written about or past! Check it out @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The history of the California missions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life in the military and general ramblings
Old 12-03-2015, 12:30 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

My thoughts about terrorism in San Bernardino @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

Old 12-17-2015, 11:57 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon14

Miyuha! Welcome to the Original Southern Californians

This is honestly NOT a chance to hype my novels.

I posted this to my Father Serra's Legacy blog as it deals with PC misconceptions foisted off in the school system about the poor Indians, who they were enslaved, and how they lost their beautiful culture.

Check it out and I'd appreciate your feedback - there or here.

Don't forget the three choice boxes at the bottom.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:44 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

My first army tour of duty 1957 to 1960 @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com
What it was like to enlist and get started in a new life.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Swearing the Oath of Enlistment, Inprocessing, and preparing for Basic Training @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

Old 01-27-2016, 06:25 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Did some housekeeping and moved posts from one blog to the other - My favorite missions @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

("...I'm mirroring my hidden storethread from a forum on one server to another forum upon another server now..." mentioned the goblin who had already transferred his "dear all diary" and his "journal" concerning his mother's demise too, yet now he faced 4000 something odd posts to do, the prospect of which hardly came across as fun to him, saying "...no, I love my storethread but the server suddenly went blanc on me for a couple of days where I suspect the worst and thought I had lost it all now, yet it turned out though that there was a reprieve then, but I feel I'm living on borrowed time now, so one starts with the most important posts and then works backwards from there then...", so the goblin's method was to do something that in effect was tantamount to a blog but instead of just waiting for those readers to come to him through links he actually went to them in his posts directly, saying "...the more you repost extracts of your blog across forumland the more you'll wet their appetite towards you now, I mean ten well used forums should give you a massive readership between them...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 01-29-2016 at 03:50 AM..
Old 01-31-2016, 12:28 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Welcome to Army life @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

Old 02-06-2016, 01:11 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Mission Santa Barbara and the Presidios @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
adoni (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

I hate blogs, but they're a necessary evil.

We just redid a bunch today and dropped in all new banner scripts to make them all push our ebook portal trying to ramp up traffic so we can help authors and pubs with some free promos.

Anyway, content is one thing, but eventually you need to monetize them or make them useful. Sure you can sell some titles from them but we found just using lots of blogs with content that has good serps has enough traffic to warrant our own ads for our ebook portal.

So to me everything relates to eventually a user of any site seeing an ad for a book.

Blogs are great cheap traffic makers and if done right you can push your titles easily on them and just add a cart and sell the ebooks yourself. Then use POD to deliver print.

No one needs a publisher today and NO ONE NEEDS AMAZON.

God I hate Amazon and its monopoly on ebooks.

How did all the authors and pubs allow this mess to happen?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

Originally Posted by adoni View Post
I hate blogs, but they're a necessary evil.

We just redid a bunch today and dropped in all new banner scripts to make them all push our ebook portal trying to ramp up traffic so we can help authors and pubs with some free promos.

Anyway, content is one thing, but eventually you need to monetize them or make them useful. Sure you can sell some titles from them but we found just using lots of blogs with content that has good serps has enough traffic to warrant our own ads for our ebook portal.

So to me everything relates to eventually a user of any site seeing an ad for a book.

Blogs are great cheap traffic makers and if done right you can push your titles easily on them and just add a cart and sell the ebooks yourself. Then use POD to deliver print.

Publishing is in transition, that's all, just another part of the ongoing technical revolution. I can't agree that Amazon isn't needed, as 85% of my sales are via their sites. So I need 'em.

As to blogs, I find they are very useful for generating traffic to my website and providing variety for my promotions. They also allow me have some writing fun in a very short form. On that note, here's my latest, the modestly titled, I Am a God.

https://stormingtime.wordpress.com/i-am-a-god/
Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

imho the way to think of blogging is just like preparation for the job at hand. in any case, cupcakes are something just like works of loving art. i've never seen a ♬music blog that was better than the pros, tho- but then again, there was mine HAHA. you joke over wasting time, but how do you know?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:56 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Just posted Shaping Up and Manual of Arms @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 AM
adoni (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

The same stuff I penned here today is now part of my main blog.

My Ode to the Bowl of 50 in poetry.

My rant on BookBub and calling the out for not allowing authors to distribute their own eBook files.

So all my writings end up on blogs then they get emailed to huge lists of fans and then they are auto piloted to social media such as Twitter and FB etc.

Like I've said elsewhere, each day I churn out 3000 words of venom at least and then it fills the either of the Net and some get it, yet most do not...
Old 02-08-2016, 08:26 AM
adoni (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by SteveHarrison View Post
Publishing is in transition, that's all, just another part of the ongoing technical revolution. I can't agree that Amazon isn't needed, as 85% of my sales are via their sites. So I need 'em.

As to blogs, I find they are very useful for generating traffic to my website and providing variety for my promotions. They also allow me have some writing fun in a very short form. On that note, here's my latest, the modestly titled, I Am a God.

https://stormingtime.wordpress.com/i-am-a-god/
The reason you 'need' Amazon is you opted for a free blog wp.com

You need to INVEST in yourself.

Get your penname.com and host it where you can explode easily a free WP site from wordpress.org not the .com

Then you can get a free cart named woocommerce

Then reformat all your stuff on Amazon with lots of full page cover artwork of your back list leading to your penname.com and your own carts.

Once you LEARN how to market your books properly to SELL THEM YOURSELF you will be a slave to Amazon.

Once you have all your titles SELLING YOUR BOOKS by cover and a blurb to your own site not some free sub domain on wp .com that can't properly be used to SELL YOUR STUFF you can steer our fans from any eBook portal via LINKS TO A REAL SITE set up to SELL YOUR WORK.

You are allowing Amazon to what, distribute an eBook file that can easily be distribute by YOU.

You lead all your work on free blogs to where AMAZON.

Of course you sell almost nothing yourself, you are brain washed to push Amazon and you waste your time promoting yourself on a .com you don't even own.

Look in the mirror, YOU ARE WHY YOU NEED AMAZON.

Free yourself man.

BE A GOD
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

The reason you 'need' Amazon is you opted for a free blog wp.com

You need to INVEST in yourself.

Get your penname.com and host it where you can explode easily a free WP site from wordpress.org not the .com

Then you can get a free cart named woocommerce

Then reformat all your stuff on Amazon with lots of full page cover artwork of your back list leading to your penname.com and your own carts.

Once you LEARN how to market your books properly to SELL THEM YOURSELF you will be a slave to Amazon.

Once you have all your titles SELLING YOUR BOOKS by cover and a blurb to your own site not some free sub domain on wp .com that can't properly be used to SELL YOUR STUFF you can steer our fans from any eBook portal via LINKS TO A REAL SITE set up to SELL YOUR WORK.

You are allowing Amazon to what, distribute an eBook file that can easily be distribute by YOU.

You lead all your work on free blogs to where AMAZON.

Of course you sell almost nothing yourself, you are brain washed to push Amazon and you waste your time promoting yourself on a .com you don't even own.

Look in the mirror, YOU ARE WHY YOU NEED AMAZON.

Free yourself man.

BE A GOD
Should I ever break away from the confining shackles of my publisher, I will certainly revisit your advice.

Quite a lot of people are understandably anti-Amazon, but in my position - with writing being very much my secondary career - they provide a very valuable and labour-saving portal.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM
adoni (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

Tough isn't it

The average Big author is a slave that makes on average 5K a year.

Now the slave master Amazon is so bad their average hack makes under 500 a year.

We TRY NOT TO SELL on Amazon and still do 500 or so a week there.

LOL

I'll take my sales from my network over Amazon EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK and anyone that has written a book needs to take control of their work and monetize it with a website they promote vigorously with their SM and whatever.

PROMOTE YOUR BOOKS TO BE SOLD ON YOUR WEBSITES

End of Subject

-
-

Series

-
-
-
-
-

Non Fiction

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Old 02-08-2016, 04:04 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

Well, I'm still not convinced Amazon is my mortal enemy.

There's no doubt that if I was primarily driven by the financial side of writing, I would do things a lot differently, but ignoring Amazon wouldn't be one of them.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:08 PM
adoni (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

When you sell your first eBook file for say $14.99 and KEEP 100% then you will understand how evil Amazon is.

Do you know that Jeff Bezos recently gave sweetheart deals to the Big 5 publishers so they can now sell above $9.99 and not lose any of their royalties?

So do you like being a second tier player on Amazon?

Why should you be capped at $9.99 and the authors of the Big 5 be able to sell at higher prices and not lose royalties?

Or do you like losing 50% of your royalty if you even sell for 1 cent above $9.99

Let the market set the price for your work NOT AMAZON.

Once you have titles the public will BUY for above $9.99 you understand the unfair control of the eBook marketplace that Amazon has over you

-
-

Series

-
-
-
-
-

Non Fiction

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Old 02-08-2016, 05:03 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

Amazon is a business and is doing what businesses do. That doesn't make them evil and no one is forced to use them.

My publisher deals with Amazon and sets the price of my book. I know exactly how much I get when I sell a copy and I signed a contract and received a nice advance indicating I am happy with the arrangement.

Having a publisher means I don't have to worry about editorial services, proofreading, cover design, accounting, paperback distribution or the million and one other things that goes into producing a book, and for which I would have to pay a considerable amount if I went solo and wanted my novel to achieve the same quality and be available everywhere. More importantly, having someone else do all that for me means I can spend my precious little spare time writing.

If that means I am foregoing a large amount of money in lost revenue, all I can say it that it's worth every penny to me.

Good luck with your service, adoni!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:26 PM
adoni (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by SteveHarrison View Post
Amazon is a business and is doing what businesses do. That doesn't make them evil and no one is forced to use them.

My publisher deals with Amazon and sets the price of my book. I know exactly how much I get when I sell a copy and I signed a contract and received a nice advance indicating I am happy with the arrangement.

Having a publisher means I don't have to worry about editorial services, proofreading, cover design, accounting, paperback distribution or the million and one other things that goes into producing a book, and for which I would have to pay a considerable amount if I went solo and wanted my novel to achieve the same quality and be available everywhere. More importantly, having someone else do all that for me means I can spend my precious little spare time writing.

If that means I am foregoing a large amount of money in lost revenue, all I can say it that it's worth every penny to me.

Good luck with your service, adoni!
Great you're a 'published author', my site doesn't apply to you, we live in the age of INDIE AUTHORS.

I hope you got a great advance since you are still PROMOTING your eBook on Amazon with your site, shouldn't your publisher be doing that?

So with a publisher and all your self promotion your title is almost 500K in the kindle store, fantastic.

That means the book sells a copy about every 3 days for a whopping 10 or so a month on Kindle. And at a big $3.99 a copy sold, the royalty to your publisher is 70% of that. So whatever your deal is, is based on your percentage of 70% of about $40 bucks USD in sales.

I doubt you can buy a meal for 4 at McDonalds with that whopping royalties check you split with your 'publisher'.

Now if you had a fan base you could afford a real site not a freebie on wordpress com.

Then you could turn on a cart and when you appear on some major media you could say go to my site MY NAME .com and buy my book on my site for $9.99 and KEEP IT ALL.

Advances for such works are minor and you can see how the book is selling, it's not that bad 500K, since most Indie Authors are 3M or worse.

Good luck 'writing' but I'm here to help the huge amount of INDIE authors that have no real traction on Amazon at all.

The traction you have is minor to say the least, but your book does sell a few copies each month.

YAWN

-
-

Series

-
-
-
-
-

Non Fiction

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Old 02-08-2016, 06:04 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

It's been nice chatting with you, adoni.

Again, I wish you well and trust you know more about indie publishing than you do about the traditional world.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230

u should wait until everything is super perfected by us first! and then post it.
The same stuff I penned here today is now part of my main blog.

My Ode to the Bowl of 50 in poetry.

My rant on BookBub and calling the out for not allowing authors to distribute their own eBook files.

So all my writings end up on blogs then they get emailed to huge lists of fans and then they are auto piloted to social media such as Twitter and FB etc.

Like I've said elsewhere, each day I churn out 3000 words of venom at least and then it fills the either of the Net and some get it, yet most do not...
everyone, check this 1 out!
Originally Posted by longknife View Post
Just posted Shaping Up and Manual of Arms @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com
@steveHarrison, australia's really nice.

💭
Old 05-22-2016, 02:54 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Just posted an excerpt of Chapter Two, The Sailor and The Carpenter, Father Serra's Legacy to my blog @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com. Enjoy and would appreciate your response in one of the boxes at the end of the blog. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:21 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Just posted the 1st chapter of The King's Highway, Book Two of Father Serra's Legacy where Spaniards move to establish present day San Diego @ httpL://msgdaleday.blogspot.com Comments always welcome.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:38 AM
MWMacKinnon (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

No, my blog has not been updated in years. I find it painful to look back and read, some of the posts are rather embarrassing.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:42 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Yet another chapter of The King's Highway about the original exploration of present day California @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 PM
collegedropout (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

It seemed like a good idea at the time....I didn't know any better either. I'll live
Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon11

The Valley of the Bears

This is a short version of a story I wrote about what California was like when the Spaniards first explored California. People see the bear on the state flag but most don't know what it's there. This story explains it. It's about a young Chumash Indian who lives the experience and becomes a disciple at Misión San Luis Obispo.

Go to http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com to read it. Enjoy.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Carly Berg (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Omg.

http://www.carlyberg.com/whatever/archives/10-2016

Writing Flash Fiction: How To Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe