WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

As news has been breaking since August that the general populace has been spied on, the lack of pushback from our elected officials has been telling. We keep getting the line that it's to protect us from terrorists.

I think at some point it became them monitoring us for the sake of them.

Now people at the NSA are coming up with their response - caught lying about snooping on virtually all domestic communications, they are not going to reverse course. Their solution is to make whistleblowing and complaining about their activities sedition.

If any US citizen thinks that of the people, by the people, for the people applies in the same manner it did even 100 years ago then that citizen is delusional.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-15-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Not to be left out, U.K. officials may punish those who publish U.S. NSA leaks

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...6.html?ml=po_r

By DYLAN BYERS | 10/28/13 1:11 PM EDT

Via Reuters, British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday his government was likely to act to stop newspapers publishing what he called damaging leaks from former U.S. intelligence operative Edward Snowden unless they began to behave more responsibly.
(Also on POLITICO: Report: Obama unaware of spying)
"If they (newspapers) don't demonstrate some social responsibility it will be very difficult for government to stand back and not to act," Cameron told parliament, saying Britain's Guardian newspaper had "gone on" to print damaging material after initially agreeing to destroy other sensitive data.

I do not claim to know what UK disclosure/whistleblower laws are, but it is always taught that the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is there, in part, to have a Free Press as a wastchdog against tyranny.

Apparently some tyranny is now good, and is a social responsibility. The connection between DC and it's East Coast elites and the heartland of the country is strained further and further.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I do not claim to know what UK disclosure/whistleblower laws are, but it is always taught that the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is there, in part, to have a Free Press as a wastchdog against tyranny.
The UK government is increasingly trying to muzzle the press after the Levison report (in the wake of primarily Murdoch's publication illegally obtaining information by hacking mobile phones, bribing police etc) but a Free Press - even if it sometimes goes bad - is essential. All the time Snowdon's leaks show that arms of government intelligence have been acting illegally, they should and will keep reporting.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,727

("...I have been missing a very good thread..." went the goblin hoping that this youtube stream might help)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL6X17CrIb4
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Mohican (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638
Default In the spirit of yesterday being All Hallows Eve

In the spirit of Halloween, I offer a post that is not related to issues of the day (well, I suppose it could be

1 Samuel 28 (King James Version)

3 Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, even in his own city. And Saul had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land.

4 And the Philistines gathered themselves together, and came and pitched in Shunem: and Saul gathered all Israel together, and they pitched in Gilboa.

5 And when Saul saw the host of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart greatly trembled.

6 And when Saul enquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

8 And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

9 And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?

10 And Saul sware to her by the Lord, saying, As the Lord liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.

11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.

12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.

13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

14 And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?

17 And the Lord hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the Lord hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy neighbour, even to David:

18 Because thou obeyedst not the voice of the Lord, nor executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the Lord done this thing unto thee this day.

19 Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.

Last edited by Mohican; 11-01-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

I am realizing that at pace (or lack thereof) I'm going with From Paradise to Eden that it might be years until I get into other writing projects.

One idea is completely non fiction, and the title might be something like "The American Wild East" The post civil war period of United States west of the Mississippi has been written about (and over written) but during the same time, there were probably as much wildness and lawlessness in the Appalachian belt, from West Virginia south as there was in the Wild West. And there is still a good bit of it, and the frontier and /or rebel spirit alive there today.

I also have an "Alternative History" turning around in my mind, based on the premise of what would have happened if John Wilkes Booth that not shot Abe Lincoln. To say the least it would be incendiary, and I wouldn't have to try to make it incendiary.

Another Alternative History would be set in the modern age, and would be based around The U.S. Congress's initial vote for action in Afghanistan following 9-11-2001. Congressman Ron Paul suggested that besides authorization of force, the U.S. issue Letters of Marque and Reprisal. A sort of free market approach, if you will. It would be interesting to examine what could have transpired if that was ever voted into existence.

fleamailman (01-11-2014)
Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Shawna11235 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I think things are a lot worse than people think. I know of only ONE person in my generation of my friends that has their own home. Yet I only know of TWO that don't have children. Even I, and my kids, live with my in-laws because times are hard and it's easier to pool all resources together. You talk about homelessness, but the shanty towns don't take into account those families who crowd together like sardines. I believe it will get worse... I see a man of my generation who was asked to tie a knot with a rope to hold something. He stare blankly and said, "Huh? what kind of knot?" I know of people who think Shakespeare was a director. I think this kind of stupidity is contagious and will spread across the globe until our own demise will not be of an oversized asteroid or even a zombie apocalypse, but our own lack of intelligence.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Shawna - thanks for joining this topic. I'll do my best to weigh in on your thoughts.

Originally Posted by Shawna11235 View Post
I think things are a lot worse than people think.
If you are in the "shrinking middle" in the US you are feeling the squeeze. Will the future be a dystopic TEOWAKI scenario as painted by James Wesley Rawles? Or will the future be a continual down grade to where there is a top and bottom economic class without a middle class?

My point is that a lot of people "know" that we are not in the best shape. Or they realize that things are not as "flush" as they were even in the 2000s.

People realize that the Dow might have bounced back since fall of 2008, but in many places unemployment is staying constant.

I know of only ONE person in my generation of my friends that has their own home. Yet I only know of TWO that don't have children. Even I, and my kids, live with my in-laws because times are hard and it's easier to pool all resources together.
Should I ask you what your generation is?

You don't need to answer.

There is a school of thought that prior to the housing bubble bursting in 2008 that home ownership was built up to an unnatural high point. If one is accustomed to growing up in a house your parents owned where you had your own room, or only shared it with one or two siblings tops then renting an apartment or sharing a house with parents or in laws is a big shift.

The housing market overbuilt, and people also got into houses they could not afford, long term. The trend that I saw locally was that people who could get any kind of loan fled urban areas. Large tracts of farmland have been chewed up to make McMansions or to expand suburbs. It was a bad combination.

You talk about homelessness, but the shanty towns don't take into account those families who crowd together like sardines. I believe it will get worse...
I imagine that there is some overcrowding in the shanty towns or Hoovervilles.

I see a man of my generation who was asked to tie a knot with a rope to hold something. He stare blankly and said, "Huh? what kind of knot?" I know of people who think Shakespeare was a director. I think this kind of stupidity is contagious and will spread across the globe until our own demise will not be of an oversized asteroid or even a zombie apocalypse, but our own lack of intelligence.
That's actually not a bad response from that man on which knot.

If one is tying to ropes together of the same size and construction, a square knot will often due the trick. If you want a stronger knot, leave some extra at the ends and finish each side of the square knot with a half hitch.

If you are have to tie off an end of a Kernmantle rope for climbing or rappelling, then you would use a figure eight, because a shock load on a kernmantle rope with the traditional bowline can harm the kernmantle core. If you are using a standard braided rope, the bowline can still work like it always has.......What Knot? might have been and intelligent question.

Not knowing who Shakespeare was or what roles he played might not be a sign of stupidity - it might be an instance of schools not teaching about Shakespeare. Even back in the 1980s, we had very little of Shakespeare unless you took advanced literature or drama classes.

But I often reach the same conclusion as you and think the general population is getting "dumber".

fleamailman (01-11-2014)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

But I often reach the same conclusion as you and think the general population is getting "dumber".
I feel that way, but the truth is that a small(?) section of the people are just getting a shit education. Ignorance and stupidity are not the same thing.

The housing market in the UK is often used as an indicator for whatever point pundits want to make about the economy - we are a small country with a growing population and limited housing. Many people of my kids' generation will not be able to buy their own homes because prices are still rising, and mortgages are harder to find.

This is stated as if it's something calamitous, but it's not. In many European countries, Italy in particular, people live with their parents well into their 30s; often you will get 3 or even 4 generations living in the same house. But by the same token Italians are well known for their strong family values, love of children, etc.
fleamailman (01-11-2014)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

This is stated as if it's something calamitous, but it's not. In many European countries, Italy in particular, people live with their parents well into their 30s; often you will get 3 or even 4 generations living in the same house. But by the same token Italians are well known for their strong family values, love of children, etc.
Another benefit is that by watching their mothers for such a long time, Italian men can learn proper mustache grooming techniques.

fleamailman (01-11-2014)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Shawna11235 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I was born in 1985; I'm not exactly sure what my generation is called, but I consider it as ages 20-30, currently. I don't mean having one's own home as owning. To be honest, I don't know many people who own their own homes, or are paying a mortgage; I think maybe four?

In my opinion owning one's home isn't as important as being able to provide for one's self. If I didn't have kids I think I could be perfectly ok living in my suburban while I saved up to rent an apartment; I experienced it when I was 11 and living with my mom. I come from the "one step above trailer trash" class.

I've been working since I was 15 and everything I have I've paid for myself. I've seen rough living, but when I see a lot of people in a "rough living" situation it raises a red flag, at least to me.

In 2008, the housing bubble burst, and I think soon enough another bubble will burst, healthcare. I know a lot of people think gold will burst next, but I think it will be healthcare. I think it will get so expensive that people won't be able to afford it, bills will continue to pile up and then it will be like the big bank bail-out. As they say, "you can't get blood from a stone."

I don't know if it will happen soon or if I'll be a grandmother on her deathbed, but I prefer to keep at least "one eye on the sky" so to speak. I may not be a crazy doomsday prepper, but I'd at least like to stay informed so I'll be less likely to become a member of a panicked mob.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

I was born in 1985; I'm not exactly sure what my generation is called, but I consider it as ages 20-30, currently. .
A millenial?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

another result of the war on drugs

If you get out of your car and the police think you are walking with your buttocks clenched, you might be due for a cavity search - or 5

http://personalliberty.com/2013/11/0...-police-force/

I want to congratulate the ER physician that refused to do this.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Lance has a wonderful thread about whether or not the South should again try to secede.

perhaps more than just Southerners want out from under.

From a Snowden "meme"

fleamailman (01-11-2014)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

There was an article in a UK newspaper a couple of years back highlighting the indicators of totalitarian regimes (using Hitler and Stalinism as references), and suggested that both the UK and the US were sliding rapidly that way.

One big indicator was the collection of knowledge, building files on anyone who was a threat, to anyone who might be a threat, to just anyone.

A fair and just society does not need to spy on its own population.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Mohicans Ramblings 30 November 2013
Lance’s recent thread about the South and a new Secession afforded a chance to revisit the history of the initial secession which led to the Civil War. (Or the War Between the States, or The War Of Northern Aggression)

Could a look at what happened then tell anything about current affairs? Perhaps I should leave that conclusion up to each individual to decide.

The Southern States did not wake up and drop out of the Union all at once. The Cotton/Cane states dropped out first. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana seceded in short order, with South Carolina leading the way. Arkansas and Texas followed. Almost never mentioned in the story of the Civil War, many in the Indian Nations also voted for, and provided soldiers to the Confederacy.

Missouri was likely to follow, but (according to some accounts) the Union/Federal Government was quick to install a puppet government. This ensured that the Union had control of the upper Mississippi and the Missouri rivers. It also ensured that Kansas was not cut off from the remainder of the country.

Four slave states were in the Union during the Civil War: Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, and Delaware. No “Free States” became part of the Confederacy although there were a fair amount of people in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois that were sympathetic to the Confederacy, or didn’t think they had a dog in the fight.

The three states that were the last to join the Confederacy were Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. While the others states were seceding to create the Confederate States, the final three had voted, at different times, to stay in the Union, and to stay Neutral.

What pushed Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina to secede, leave the Union and join the Confederacy? Two primary things – Demands from James Cameron to provide troops or militia and being told that the Union would march across their states to get to the states that had seceded.

The original colonies and then states viewed themselves as sovereign entities, bound loosely in the Union. A demand to provide troops and to allow armies to march across their territory was distasteful to them. It would be like the neighbor to your north wanting to burn the house of the neighbor to your south, and demanding both right of way and a tribute of gasoline to enable them to do so.

The state most hesitant to join the confederacy, (North Carolina) in what might be considered irony or schadenfreude ended up provide the largest amount of soldiers to the Confederacy.

Secession and the Civil War might not be so clear cut as some would want to believe.

Last edited by Mohican; 01-09-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Is this what race relations have devolved into? If I was trying to write satire, I could not have topped this.

Santa should become a penguin, instead of an old, fat, white man. It's for the children.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h...christmas.html

Slate truly saved the best for last :

Correction, Dec. 10, 2013: This article originally misidentified penguins as mammals. They are birds.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

EPA's "Top Global Warming Expert" turns out to be a fraud, bilking the EPA out of 900,000 dollars. And didn't bother to show up for work for 18 months.

How can I take an "Expert" seriously if he/she doesn't show up for work for 18 months and few take notice?

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/12/1...over-a-decade/

Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ornia-/?page=1

Venture capitalist Tim Draper of Silicon Valley has filed paperwork for a November ballot measure that would divide California into six states, calling the Golden State as presently constituted “too big and bloated.”
Hurray for Tim!

Six might be too many slices (not population wise) but according to relatives and friends who moved there or have moved from California back to 'Murrica there are at least 3 distinct California's.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638
Default I wish this was a real story....

If this was for real it would be loaded with awesome!

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/ge...ate-flee-city/

Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Har har har. That's three more minutes of my life wasted.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Har har har. That's three more minutes of my life wasted.
The heading "I wish this was a real story" should have been a warning sign.......

As heartwarming as that story is, in reality a military coup could be fraught with peril.

Today I saw an article about a Pennsylvania State Trooper. At one point in his life he was judged mentally impared/insane and was involuntarily put away. He's out, and carrying out the duties of a trooper.

The issue at hand is that on duty he is allowed to pack his Roscoe. Off duty, he is still judged to be crazy enough that he can't privately pack his Roscoe. A federal judge made some noises that it's ok on duty, because there he has proper supervision and people would just seem to know if he's having a good day, or might snap. Off duty, there would be no one to intervene.........Jesus Wept.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ve_gun_wh.html

Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

The heading "I wish this was a real story" should have been a warning sign.......
Yes -- I saw that, and knew before I clicked that it wasn't true. I just thought maybe it was something clever or entertaining or interesting -- or something that made some kind of point. But it was pretty much a fail on all levels. Oh well.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

I guess we have different senses of humor...

Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Maybe so -- but have you ever heard of the key elements of humor -- incongruity, surprise and recognition? They were all pretty much missing. It was basically an undeveloped "what if" -- with no irony, no twist, no payoff. But whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-12-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

I had never heard of the key elements of humor. It's a case of liking what I like.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,727

("...keep them coming because I keep on reading them..." went the goblin in need of a read)
Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

perhaps the 'Tea Party" and the Occupy crowd should get together.

The people we elect to congress are now, in the majority, the "1%".

This is not a rant against the wealthy, and I hold nothing against a person that start's their own business or invents something or otherwise hits the big time. But this shows the disconnect between elected officials in Washington DC and the people they supposedly represent.

For the first time, more than 50% of the Federal House and Senate are millionaires. http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/09/news...html?iid=HP_LN

Old 01-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Can non threatening harassment become criminal? http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/20...arassment.html

This is something that has developed with the internet. Perhaps it also happens because there is no dueling or honor culture anymore. And an over reliance on the authorities to settle disputes.

In the past, harassment could get you a well deserved ass kicking. If you defamed some girl constantly via taunts or graffiti, it's possible that a husband, brother, or uncle might pay you a visit. The offendee got a black eye or bloody nose and everyone went about their business.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

I don't get it. What exhausted her? Reading tweets? No, she blocked him. She had enough energy to go hire a lawyer. Thinking about a possible tweet that she'll never see should have been a snap.

And having the hashtag '#fascistfeminist' tweeted her way made her fear for her life? Puh-leeze, lady - you've been watching too much television.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table