WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Can KFC be a victim?

Old 10-24-2016, 01:02 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 333
Default Can KFC be a victim?

So a lady buys a bucket of KFC chicken, takes it home, opens it up, expecting to get a couple of meals out of it and finds, to her dismay, not the overflowing box of chicken like she sees in the ads. Now she wants $20M compensation. Jesus!

Here's a few questions

1) How the fuck can't a person get two meals out of a bucket of ~21 pieces of chicken?
2) Should the two meal vouchers be adequate?
3) What does a person who demands that much compensation be like with all her "transactions"?
4) Should it be more adequate for all the people who viewed the ad and bought chicken to sue?

http://nypost.com/2016/10/22/wheres-...e-advertising/

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Twenty million dollars.

Yeah, okay, KFC's bargain bucket isn't bucket-sized. It's flowerpot-sized and typically half full of small morsels of the least tasty bits of a chicken, coated in a mixture of breadcrumbs, flavourings and pure cholesterol so as to disguise what you're actually eating. It's a fairly shitty product.

But, twenty million dollars. Twenty MILLION dollars. Twenty million DOLLARS for a mildly disappointing fast food product.

Do you remember the movie Falling Down, where the bloke stands there in a place that's almost but not quite exactly like McDonalds and demands, at gunpoint, that they serve him a burger that looks like their advertising? I sympathise with him. I really feel what he's saying and yes, advertisers ought to be made to tell the truth.

Still. $20 million.

I've seen some advertising from the US, and it isn't like the advertising we have here. Here in the UK, if there's an advert for a cold and flu remedy on TV, it'll show someone who's struggling to get through the day with the bad sniffles, and then they take the product, and then a few hours later they're still a bit snuffly and their nose is red and their face is pale, but they're now able to smile a wan smile, and they're probably sitting upright and sipping a cup of hot chocolate with a sympathetic friend.

In the US, the advert for the same product would have someone who appears to be at death's very door, on the actual point of shuffling off their mortal coil, who then with their very last gasp, takes the product. Within about five minutes not only are they completely cured but the sun has come out, the temperature in the whole area appears to have increased by about fen degrees and youthful, attractive people of the opposite sex are suddenly very eager to make their acquaintance.

Because US advertisers lie their fucking heads off. You really, really need advertising and trading standards authorities like we have here in the UK, who have real teeth and issue colossal fines and can, and do, shut your whole business the fuck down if your products aren't like you say they are.

Which is why McDonalds recipes, for example, are different in the UK (and they still have to describe their burgers as "beef patties" because they don't meet the legal definition of a burger here, by the way). It's why Hershey bars can't be sold here ---- you could sell them but you couldn't lawfully describe them as "chocolate". And Brits have access to proper chocolate, so they won't buy something that's essentially made of sugar and tile grout.

But the fact that the claim is for $20 million turns this woman from being an upstanding human being who's pursuing decency and honesty in advertising, into a horrible weirdo whose case clearly and deservedly stands no chance of success whatsoever.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (10-24-2016), PickleBottom (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Myers (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

I worked at KFC when I was in high school.

If you don't put the 10 or 21 pieces in the bucket, people will bitch about it. There's zero incentive to try and short them. And the same applies to the size and quality of the chicken pieces. It's all monitored and if complaints go up the chain of command, managers are reprimanded. It's a decent product, as far as fast food goes.

Yes, they put more in the container on the commercials so you can see the chicken. No normal person would expect that; you wouldn't be able to put the lid on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
NuNu (11-22-2016), PickleBottom (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 03:18 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Twenty million dollars.

Yeah, okay, KFC's bargain bucket isn't bucket-sized. It's flowerpot-sized and typically half full of small morsels of the least tasty bits of a chicken, coated in a mixture of breadcrumbs, flavourings and pure cholesterol so as to disguise what you're actually eating. It's a fairly shitty product.

But, twenty million dollars. Twenty MILLION dollars. Twenty million DOLLARS for a mildly disappointing fast food product.

Do you remember the movie Falling Down, where the bloke stands there in a place that's almost but not quite exactly like McDonalds and demands, at gunpoint, that they serve him a burger that looks like their advertising? I sympathise with him. I really feel what he's saying and yes, advertisers ought to be made to tell the truth.

Still. $20 million.

I've seen some advertising from the US, and it isn't like the advertising we have here. Here in the UK, if there's an advert for a cold and flu remedy on TV, it'll show someone who's struggling to get through the day with the bad sniffles, and then they take the product, and then a few hours later they're still a bit snuffly and their nose is red and their face is pale, but they're now able to smile a wan smile, and they're probably sitting upright and sipping a cup of hot chocolate with a sympathetic friend.

In the US, the advert for the same product would have someone who appears to be at death's very door, on the actual point of shuffling off their mortal coil, who then with their very last gasp, takes the product. Within about five minutes not only are they completely cured but the sun has come out, the temperature in the whole area appears to have increased by about fen degrees and youthful, attractive people of the opposite sex are suddenly very eager to make their acquaintance.

Because US advertisers lie their fucking heads off. You really, really need advertising and trading standards authorities like we have here in the UK, who have real teeth and issue colossal fines and can, and do, shut your whole business the fuck down if your products aren't like you say they are.

Which is why McDonalds recipes, for example, are different in the UK (and they still have to describe their burgers as "beef patties" because they don't meet the legal definition of a burger here, by the way). It's why Hershey bars can't be sold here ---- you could sell them but you couldn't lawfully describe them as "chocolate". And Brits have access to proper chocolate, so they won't buy something that's essentially made of sugar and tile grout.

But the fact that the claim is for $20 million turns this woman from being an upstanding human being who's pursuing decency and honesty in advertising, into a horrible weirdo whose case clearly and deservedly stands no chance of success whatsoever.
Yeah she seems a bit of a nut job, imagine the compensation she will require just to get through one day at the office? Imagine if she went on a date with Roger from accounting who told a few yarns in the photocopy room about his sexual prowess. Roger better be able to afford $20M.

I started another thread in here on Fox, and I think if an individual is required to pay $1.2M to Fox (depending on their income this can be very excessive), then I think it is quite reasonable for KFC (and FOX etc) to pay $20M to all individuals who have been fooled by their advertising. But my impression is, this lady will be laughed out of court for being unreasonable (even though advertisements can fool billions of people out of billions of dollars per year) and yet Fox was not being unreasonable. But as law is big business and Fox can pay massive "legal" fees...

P.S. That is interesting on UK ads vs US ads. I'm in the process of creating some ads that bring hyper-realism to advertisements - the complete opposite of advertisements who hyper-exaggerate the affects of their products (I posted some in here somewhere), for example,

"After the success of my first ad an advertising company wants me to do some "copy" for a cruise liner. I've never been on a cruise ship before so I looked up some pictures on Google images and most had semi-naked hot women tanning themselves on the deck. So I chose the option in Google to remove "advertised" and "doctored" images and then I saw the real clientele, the kind of guys who would creep on the suntanning girls. It seems the patrons of cruise ships are actually all old and fat. Here's what I've come up with;

A large male elephant seal is sunning itself on a pile of rock in the middle of the ocean. A bigger elephant seal emerges from the ocean and waddles up the rock. The first elephant seal starts barking at the second, who then barks back. The two come to blows and start bashing their heads together, the first elephant seal is pushed into the ocean.

Then the copy - want to experience life on a small piece of land in the middle of the ocean with other fat assholes? Cruise with us!"
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

"Cruise with us! We're very slightly cheaper than a nursing home and we have sunshine!"
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:04 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
"Cruise with us! We're very slightly cheaper than a nursing home and we have sunshine!"
"We have state of the art morgues and you can take advantage of our current two-for-one deal, if both you and your partner die at sea within a one month period of each other, the second burial at sea will be free!"
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Myers (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

You know, I get the irony and comedy factor; and what this says about our society and legal system. On the other hand, who gives a shit, and why should we give this any credence by paying any attention to it? You're just playing into the hands of shitty rags like the NY Post. Just fucking ignore it and move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 573

I think the Brits are speaking to a larger more glaring point which is: America has lost her way, or maybe more precisely, she hasn't found it yet.

There really is a problem with our advertising, and people's reaction to it. It doesn't seem likely to fix itself without pressure. Have you watched daytime network television lately in the US? OMG!
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
You know, I get the irony and comedy factor; and what this says about our society and legal system. On the other hand, who gives a shit, and why should we give this any credence by paying any attention to it? You're just playing into the hands of shitty rags like the NY Post. Just fucking ignore it and move on.
Yes, but the same statement will be inclusive of all the shit that is in the news (giving credence to it), and then what will be the point of the intellekchual table? How else are we going to fling our poop at each other?

Further to this, I'm pretty sure a chatbot can be trained to respond to every issue from my P.O.V., and in fact for one discussion in the past (you won't find it on this forum, I cheated on the writersbeat forum with a few other forums) I created a flow chart of all my responses to a person's argument in advance. After being on the Writersbeat forum for X number of discussions everyone already knows what my response for every issue will be. It is like in that Deadpool movie where Deadpool knows the teen can only respond with a sullen silence or a mean comment.

Why do I do this you ask? Well in the same reason that everyone likes their TV shows and movies to be exactly the same thing for years, that's how I like to discuss issues in my forum discussions. This latter argument avoids me having an existential crisis, like I did after I watched the "latest" Conan movie (I still haven't recovered).

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I think the Brits are speaking to a larger more glaring point which is: America has lost her way, or maybe more precisely, she hasn't found it yet.

There really is a problem with our advertising, and people's reaction to it. It doesn't seem likely to fix itself without pressure. Have you watched daytime network television lately in the US? OMG!
I have it on good authority that day-time TV was invented to reduce welfare recipients, because people would prefer to work than stay at home and watch that shit.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Myers (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

People love the fantasy that advertisers are blatantly lying to them. It makes them feel savvy and in the know.

The truth is, the vast majority of the time, advertisers don't make false claims unless they are selling ab machines on late night television.

It's just not good for business in the long run. And even though the FTC doesn't have a lot of teeth and the fines aren't big, the negative press can have a profound impact if you're caught out.

No; instead, advertisers use tactics that are far more subtle, in the way of aspirational images and messages; "I can be like this and feel like this if I use this product."

They don't have to literally LIE. And why should they of they can bamboozle people with a vision of what they want to be?

If you think that advertisers are all lying to you, chances are you don't see how you're really being fooled.

Last edited by Myers; 10-24-2016 at 07:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 573

I meet lots of fuckers who've somehow managed to slog through the creators original intention wrt daytime TV and gargle it anyway. Maybe they even swallow once in a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 09:14 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
People love the fantasy that advertisers are blatantly lying to them. It makes them feel savvy and in the know.

The truth is, the vast majority of the time, advertisers don't make false claims unless they are selling ab machines on late night television.

It's just not good for business in the long run. And even though the FTC doesn't have a lot of teeth and the fines aren't big, the negative press can have a profound impact if you're caught out.

No; instead, advertisers use tactics that are far more subtle, in the way of aspirational images and messages; "I can be like this and feel like this if I use this product."

They don't have to literally LIE. And why should they of they can bamboozle people with a vision of what they want to be?

If you think that advertisers are all lying to you, chances are you don't see how you're really being fooled.
Yes I agree with you, exaggerating, deceiving, manipulating, misdirection are not strictly lying. But they are also not truthful.

I knew a person who read Baudrillard and thought this was a good way to justify their lying, that is, if no one knew the truth, the lie becomes the truth. But they were so dumb and lied (deceived, manipulated etc) so many times that they contradicted themselves, so their "truth" could not actually be truth. And interestingly whenever someone pointed out that their truth was contradictory they immediately went into an SJW-defense mechanism where they were a victim.

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I meet lots of fuckers who've somehow managed to slog through the creators original intention wrt daytime TV and gargle it anyway. Maybe they even swallow once in a while.
Imagine having a discussion with these kinds of people, their brains will be fried.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
Myers (10-25-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 AM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 209

As long as the cholesterol was pure, I don't think the woman had any grounds for complaint. Sadly, the way things are these days in the land of milk and honey it was probably cut with bat guano from China.

Last edited by JP_Inkswell; 11-18-2016 at 05:48 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JP_Inkswell For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:43 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

Delicious! https://goo.gl/6yWLgE
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymc For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 11:35 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by JP_Inkswell View Post
As long as the cholesterol was pure, I don't think the woman had any grounds for complaint. Sadly, the way things are these days in the land of milk and honey it was probably cut with bat guano from China.
Oh I can attest to its purity I can feel a bit of discomfort in my left arm and a weight on my chest

Originally Posted by jimmymc View Post
This is why life is disappointing people see these images, get their hopes up and then... and now that everything is commercialised and marketised life is disappointing as a result
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-22-2016, 08:05 PM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 56

I think more stuff like this should happen.

For entertainment purposes.....Or just period.
PickleBottom (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 01:05 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by NuNu View Post
I think more stuff like this should happen.

For entertainment purposes.....Or just period.
Well the whole point of our court system is to make cash, it will be cool to put cases where a person or body needs in excess of $1M compensation on a Judge Judy type reality TV show. It will need to be a bit like Jerry Springer
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Mik3 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Can she even proceed with the lawsuit after she realized the problem with the chicken AFTER she left the stablishment? Can't KFC just claim 'maybe she did something to the chicken (like change it for other pieces) as she left the restaurant' or something...?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mik3 For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 02:13 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 333

Originally Posted by Mik3 View Post
Can she even proceed with the lawsuit after she realized the problem with the chicken AFTER she left the stablishment? Can't KFC just claim 'maybe she did something to the chicken (like change it for other pieces) as she left the restaurant' or something...?
She could have taken large bites out of every piece of chicken before she got home, that would have decimated the amount of chicken she would have when she opened the box. I'm still struggling to understand how a person cannot not eat 21 pieces of chicken in one seating - unless she is The Mountain from Game of Thrones - I hear he eats a fair amount of food.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-23-2016, 02:16 PM
Myers (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 135

No, she can't. That's officially know as "deception by post-purchase chicken manipulation" as established by the landmark Kentucky Supreme Court case, Lipshitz vs. Sanders 1957.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table