WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Please help me with a story

Old 12-13-2016, 10:10 PM
blipsycat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Please help me with a story

I need help with writing a realistic drama novel about a woman in prison. Can somebody PLEASE help me?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:04 PM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 105

WHat part do you need help with?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:54 AM
blipsycat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
WHat part do you need help with?
Ideas and the actual writing.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:01 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Gonna need a little background info about you to help proceed, cat.

First, are you older than eighteen years?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:32 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Why do you want to write this story?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM
blipsycat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Gonna need a little background info about you to help proceed, cat.

First, are you older than eighteen years?
I am 23.

I want to write this story because I have an interest in realistic stories about prison life.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Pygasus (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Know anybody who's been to jail? Interview them. Also, I suggest reading as much prison non-fiction as possible, to start. Then try to come up with your protagonist... who's your hero and why?
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

do a search on - letters to prisoners program.

you can write to them and get the real deal. and inspire some very real characters, and some true stores that's if they give you permission to use them.

you need to be careful when talking to these people - use a p.o. box and don't give out to much information, they understand.

most prisons limit their computer time to about two hours a week, highly supervised and all letters are edited. phone calls are iffy at best, they have to pay (5 - 25 dollars depending on the prison - five minute call) for the call and call you collect, and you will have to front the money to their account.

but it can be very interesting and you really get a glimpse into the way your pin-pal (that was a pun-son) thinks

for three years I wrote to a death row inmate, (kidnapping, rape and murder) he was a nice enough guy in the letters but I don't think I would have wanted to meet him in real life.

he was executed in January of 16, just before he was executed he confessed that he had killed all eight of those people just because he wanted.

if you choose to do this - you will be warned many time not to share to much and be very careful.

max crash

Last edited by max crash; 12-14-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Old 12-14-2016, 11:37 AM
blipsycat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
do a search on - letters to prisoners program.

you can write to them and get the real deal. and inspire some very real characters, and some true stores that's if they give you permission to use them.

you need to be careful when talking to these people - use a p.o. box and don't give out to much information, they understand.

most prisons limit their computer time to about two hours a week, highly supervised and all letters are edited. phone calls are iffy at best, they have to pay (5 - 25 dollars depending on the prison - five minute call) for the call and call you collect, and you will have to front the money to their account.

but it can be very interesting and you really get a glimpse into the way your pin-pal (that was a pun-son) thinks

for three years I wrote to a death row inmate, (kidnapping, rape and murder) he was a nice enough guy in the letters but I don't think I would have wanted to meet him in real life.

he was executed in January of 16, just before he was executed he confessed that he had killed all eight of those people just because he wanted.

if you choose to do this - you will be warned many time not to share to much and be very careful.

max crash
Thanks for the advice, but I have already done that. In fact, if you REALLY want to get into the backstory of the story, I read a news report a few years ago about an inmate I had a lot of empathy for. I wrote to her as a pen pal, and had a nice friendship for a while. Then I said something horrible to her and she understandably never wrote back. I tried to befriend other inmates via letters, but they all got sick of me, probably more in a general sense than any specific thing I did. Regardless, all my days of having prison pen pals are over with.

That's part of the reason I want to do this story. To hopefully somewhat make up for the horrible way I treated them.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=max crash

he had killed all eight of those people just because he wanted.

[/QUOTE]

Ya know, it's unexpected little tidbits of truth like this that make it so difficult to rationalize not carrying legally concealed.

*sigh*
max crash (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by blipsycat View Post
I am 23.

I want to write this story because I have an interest in realistic stories about prison life.

Okay, pal, I read all the stuff after your response and I don't see me as a guy that can help ya with this project,

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:31 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Thanks for the advice, but I have already done that. In fact, if you REALLY want to get into the backstory of the story, I read a news report a few years ago about an inmate I had a lot of empathy for. I wrote to her as a pen pal, and had a nice friendship for a while. Then I said something horrible to her and she understandably never wrote back. I tried to befriend other inmates via letters, but they all got sick of me, probably more in a general sense than any specific thing I did. Regardless, all my days of having prison pen pals are over with.

That's part of the reason I want to do this story. To hopefully somewhat make up for the horrible way I treated them.
The trouble is, a story about life inside a prison is their story, not yours. Write about what you have personally experienced. That's the only authority you have as a writer.

Of course you could find a way to get sent to jail and find out for yourself, but that's a bit extreme.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:39 PM
blipsycat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
The trouble is, a story about life inside a prison is their story, not yours. Write about what you have personally experienced. That's the only authority you have as a writer.

Of course you could find a way to get sent to jail and find out for yourself, but that's a bit extreme.
I disagree. Lots of people write about things they have not personally experiences. Like Stephen King wrote the story that became "The Shawshank Redemption", and I'm pretty sure he never went to prison himself.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:31 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Yeah, the difference is Stephen King didn't ask strangers on a forum to help him write it.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I also disagree - because I write as a teen female and i'm a male sexagenarian

but you seem to be having trouble putting yourself in prison, may I suggest that you just create a character, and develop a back story about his or her life, that creates a personality that will cause trouble with the law. so when they were caught you will know just how they would behave,

you could start with them going to prison --- but you are going to have to have their background down-pat so you will know how they are going to respond. thus the back story - maybe just for your benefit.

also give them some faults, I e - I spent some time with the DEA after I got out of the military and there was this one guy that didn't blink to kill a person but you better not hurt an dog around him or he would be in you face right now.

so build your character and set him on a life of crime.

post us a story about him or her. let's see what happens.

max
Old 12-14-2016, 02:57 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

There is no way any of us could teach you to be a writer if you're not one. And if you're not one, don't do it.

If you are, then use your own life experience and place it in a character with a story. There is nothing unique about being in prison.

Loss, redemption, challenge, decisions (good and bad), conflict, character, love, hope, and desire are all common to all of us, if you're of any age in life. Write those things and change the circumstances. That's what's meant by write what you know.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=flyingtart

Yeah, the difference is Stephen King didn't ask strangers on a forum to help him write it.

[/QUOTE]

Aw, tart, yer killin' me here.

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 12-14-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Old 12-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

Loss, redemption, challenge, decisions (good and bad), conflict, character, love, hope, and desire are all common to all of us, if you're of any age in life. Write those things and change the circumstances. That's what's meant by write what you know.

[/QUOTE]

Now that sparkles.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

https://youtu.be/eGwmcmg-ahg
Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 PM
blipsycat (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Forget about it, I guess.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:26 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Forget about it, I guess.

We can if you do.
flyingtart (12-17-2016), max crash (12-17-2016)

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions