Descriptionary

Old 06-24-2006, 02:32 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone
Descriptionary

This is an old writing exercise turned into a game. Each person suggests an action. The next person has to turn that action into a phrase or several sentences that take it from the mundane and plain to descriptive or entertaining. Then, suggest another action for the next person. The actions can be those of humans such as, "he walked", or those of inanimate objects such as, "the plane flew."

I'll start it off with:

He shrugged.

God, he was frustrating. He didn’t say, “Yes. I’d like that.” Or, “No. Don’t do it.” He didn’t voice any opinion at all. He just shrugged his shoulders, mumbling, “Whatever you want,” and went back to playing the game.

She winced.

If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:56 PM
the_stand (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

Her Christian beliefs did not sit comfortably with the man's views. Poker was the name of the game, and he refused to play a hand with a anyone other than middle-class white american.

She winced as he passed comment at the chinese family that considered playing a hand.

Next: "He scowled"
Old 06-24-2006, 05:35 PM
gary_wagner

He scowled and thought, "She's doing this punish me for some wrong I committed raising her". He knew that had to be the reason she hadn't dropped that twit of a boyfriend yet. Seventeen years old and he was an expert. It wouldn't be so bad if he was an expert in something. He was an all-encompassing, omnipotent expert of little things, big things, everything. At least that was her boyfriend's and her opinion.

They stood
Old 06-24-2006, 09:33 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

I want to read the whole story, each one! Hope you are writing them!
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Mean (Offline)
The thing under your bed
Official Member

Thanks 0

They stood in the foyer, awaiting their cue to enter. The pianist, after a brief pause, began pounding out "Here Comes the Bride" on the Baby Grand toward the front of the church.

"It's not too late to back out of this, pumpkin," her father whispered in her ear.

He raged...

Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

He raged - forgot to mention that you can use the words given or not in your description

He skimmed through the letter, unbelieving. "You are disinherited," it said. ""Do not attempt to contact your father or me ever again." He could feel his blood pressure peaking. The kitchen tablecloth in front of him blurred into smears of red and white . Heat began to radiate off his skin in waves. He grabbed the phone, punched the speed dial, and the moment he heard his father's voice, he screamed, "Did you know about this?"

the fan spun

Old 06-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Mean (Offline)
The thing under your bed
Official Member

Thanks 0

OT: So all you need to do is portray the action posted by the previous user?

Old 06-29-2006, 10:50 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

You got it, Mean. I wish I could eat that doughnut - allergic to it, unfortunately - guess I'll get some more coffee and a ginger snap (organic, so it's safe, how dull!).

Old 06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Mean (Offline)
The thing under your bed
Official Member

Thanks 0

Allergic to donuts? Somewhere, God is laughing at you.

Dan crushed out his cigarette. The dimly lit bar drank in the sunlight that seeped through the window, bouncing eerie shadows off the blades of the slow-turning ceiling fan.

"Careful how you talk to your old man," he spoke calmly into the phone. "Did you not read the part of that note where it says 'never'?"

"I'm your son dammit! Your only son at that!" He simply could not wrap his mind around the events that were unfolding. His rage was mixed with a sort of sadness. A feeling of rejection and guilt all balled into a fist in his gut. "What could possibly drive you to disinherit your only son!?"

thunder boomed

Old 06-29-2006, 01:24 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0

Long and hard she laughs, then she turns to him and they both roll through the clouds holding their godly bellies, chortling with glee. (God must be a couple to understand the human condition!) This is the true cause of thunder booming. Lightning is just target practice,

Oops! Didn't mean to write on the phrase - guess we need another one -

embers glow

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe > Board Games