WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

A Mild Complaint

Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Swamp Thing (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default A Mild Complaint

I do have one complaint of WB. I have been a member of other forums before, writing forums that is. And all though I do not think the member quality of content was better than WB. I do note they had better activity level than WB. I feel like WB is a very inactive site. And when people have threads that have been sitting for three days unanswered I think there is a problem. By the way this is not a concern of my own threads, but threads in general. I feel like WB should have a recruitment month or recruitment drive of something to boost activity and intrigue other people into be interested into part of this community.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Well how big are these other forums? and how many active member's are there?

WB is quite small, which has its pluses and minuses. One the one hand active members know other active members and their writing better. One of the minuses is that sometimes the forum is quite slow.

How do you imagine we would carry out this recruitment drive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tau; 04-02-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...I see this forum as a showroom window for authors, where each post one does is one's ambassador by it..." mentioned the goblin aware that there were more readers across forumland than most elsewhere today, asking "...two questions here, suppose you wrote something worth reading, how are you going to show it to your potential readers now, and where again, and suppose you were that reader who wanted to find something to read, how would you go about finding it now...", at which the goblin just smiled and laughed deeply, saying "...so welcome to writersbeat human, ah no, we're not some writer's workshop for would be writers here, far from it, upon this forum you write amongst your readers and your post become you to them then, for if you want to read something, or if you want to be read too, then here is your forum/marketplace between us now...", just that here, unlike those more demeaning workshop whatevers, was a true writer's forum for both writers and readers alike to converse without elsewhere)

Last edited by fleamailman; 04-03-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Swamp Thing (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Well how big are these other forums? and how many active member's are there?

WB is quite small, which has its pluses and minuses. One the one hand active members know other active members and their writing better. One of the minuses is that sometimes the forum is quite slow.

How do you imagine we would carry out this recruitment drive?
Well on another forum we have, when I carry out drives basically the incentive is to communicate to people in other place. Say we're another forum we tell certain members who are friends about WB. But to make it worth the members time for a recruitment drive give out rewards. Something like the member who recruits the most gets a custom title, or earns a spotlight feature or something like that.

Maybe an interview in WB, exposure, etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Signature (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 32

Some forums create Twitter and Reddit accounts and maybe just retweet news ... like new writing contests or publications by forum members.
A WritersBeat anthology might be a cool thing. Has this been done before, maybe?

I agree that the amount of feedback was very disappointing ... for me personally.

Maybe a feedback exchange offensive, with the members that are already here would be cool. IMO, too many people just dump their work right now and write very little feedback.

What could such an offensive look like?
1.) Maybe there could be study groups that make sure the works of each member gets reviewed? To make sure the quality of the feedback improves there could be feedback templates ... but I think I already know that hardly any member here likes that kind of commitment.
2.) There could be a writing bootcamp with assignments like writing exercises as well as writing feedback. I think most people underestimate how much writing critiques helps with their own skills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:

Synopsis:
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Swamp Thing (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Signature View Post
What could such an offensive look like?
1.) Maybe there could be study groups that make sure the works of each member gets reviewed? To make sure the quality of the feedback improves there could be feedback templates ... but I think I already know that hardly any member here likes that kind of commitment.
2.) There could be a writing bootcamp with assignments like writing exercises as well as writing feedback. I think most people underestimate how much writing critiques helps with their own skills.
I actually like these ideas.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Thing is this forum is run by volunteers something I am very conscious of when I suggest things.

I do like the study/buddy group thing - maybe even a mentor programme idea.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:29 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

The fact that this writing forum is less busy than others obviously proves how much better it is, as it's members are obviously too busy writing short stories and novels after receiving inspiring feedback from their fellow posters.

It's kind of a catch 22 thing.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697
Default Good answer, Rincewind

Clever.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustcallmeEd For This Useful Post:
Ravensquillz (04-06-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Signature (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 32

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
The fact that this writing forum is less busy than others obviously proves how much better it is, as it's members are obviously too busy writing short stories and novels after receiving inspiring feedback from their fellow posters.

It's kind of a catch 22 thing.
That would make sense if the thread wasn't about the existence of many threads with little helpful feedback ...

Question for staff members: what would be the right place to start and manage groups (study or marketing related)?

Twitter:

Synopsis:

Last edited by Signature; 04-07-2013 at 01:19 AM..
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Mister URL

I will now throw my oar into this thread. I belong to three different writing forums and find that each has a 'personality'. Not that there's anything wrong with that. One site has so many and such prolific reviewers that you can barely find a post that hasn't been critiqued to death by the time you see it. Here there are often posts with zero responses. But almost never does the poster indicate what they are looking for. I am primarily a SPaG freak, and find it hard to objectively judge the quality of writing outside of things with rules.

So I tend to stay away unless the poster asks for SPaG advice. My experience is that most new writers do not want to hear about spelling and commas and such: they want to know will it sell, and does it have a sufficient quantity of vampires.

Perhaps a small template in the lead of posts indicating how many words and what the author is looking for would draw more reviewers.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I can point to several posts with that at the top that are completely unreviewed. We are supposed to do it and it is in the guidelines.

I don't mind SPaG critique as it is my weak area so any suggestions are useful - it can sometimes be frustrating though when the suggestions are American and they are pointing out something that in UK English is quite correct. (Single quotes for example)
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697
Default Bah!

What do Scots know about English, anyway?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

If you mean me, I am not Scots. It is merely my location.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

That's OK. I am, but I've never been there. What's it like, other than the weird English?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Highland areas speak English that is probably closer to the Queen than anywhere else in the UK .

Apart from that and crazy weather it is an OK place to live.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

I've heard that it's all wind, rain and fog, which is exactly like what we have here on the coast of Humboldt County. I've lived in balmier climes but I had to come back. I missed the snap of the cold, the ferocity of the wind and quiet mystery of the fog.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635

Over the past couple of months, the activity level on Writer's Beat has slipped from critiques/writing to posting in the Intellectual Table part of the boards. We're doing our best to figure out ways to get the focus back on writing, and we appreciate members' input when it comes to that, so this can be a useful thread in the development of our current quest!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Signature (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 32

Do groups sound like something that could be realized here?

Groups could have their own thread, not sure where, and members could link to the groups they are a member of.
People who join a group commit to something (not too much).

Such things could be:
  • Social media marketing for The Writer's Beat
  • Writing critiques (depending on group ... from oneliners to line editing)
  • Summarizing additions of a week, making it easy to see what is new and worth checking out etc.
  • Maintaining daily writing exercise challenges
  • Maybe even novel editing exchange
  • Training (Lessons & Exercises)
When I think of feedback, I don't think SPaG first.
The template I had in mind would look something like that:
Disclaimers
(Not a fan of the genre, etc.)

Positive
- Style/Emotions
- Idea/Content

Negative
- Style/Emotions
- Idea/Content

SPaG (maybe even optional)

Suggestions
Originally Posted by Mister URL
I am primarily a SPaG freak, and find it hard to objectively judge the quality of writing outside of things with rules.
I think that is problematic, because for me and probably most people it is important to know how people feel about a piece. Have I accomplished what I was going for, or not?

Twitter:

Synopsis:
Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Ally (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 4

Well, WB is kind of small.
I like it because we all we all know each other! At least the active ones do.
If you don't like it that way I encourage you to return to a larger writing community.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Snicket (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 55

Signature, that's how I do my reviews and critiques as well. Positive. Like no offense or anything, but a lot of folks pull out negative first.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM
mtochman90 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

As a new member, I am curious to see if any of the methods are implemented
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 AM
fearless_leader (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
Signature, that's how I do my reviews and critiques as well. Positive. Like no offense or anything, but a lot of folks pull out negative first.
If i am critiquing something i always try to find something positive about it even if i think the overall piece is bad,

just good form in my opinion.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

The problem that I see is most of the writing isn't worth reading or critiquing. I'm especially disappointed by the quality of the writing in the Members Only area. I thought that was where people posted work with the intention of submitting it for publication at some point. But most of the writing doesn't come close to anything near publishable.

And then there are people saying how good the writing is. I don't know what people are thinking. And most of the crits amount to, "It really grabbed my attention. I'd read more! Etc. etc.

But we're all here to learn, you're thinking. True, and that's why I came here, but so much of the writing doesn't indicate any talent, or very little if of it. My guess is people who can write come here, take a look the quality of work and then decide there's nothing here for them.

I'll pop in occasionally, but unless there is a miraculous influx of people who can write and critique, I won't be back.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Nobody starts out perfect. It is because of helpful critiques that writing improves. It's good to see the changes in writers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnyaKimlun For This Useful Post:
Ilseum (10-20-2013), risk10 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM
risk10 (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 280

Well said, Anya.

Myers, I am sorry that this forum did not workout for you, but there is a lot of enthusiasm and a willingness to share ideas and provide helpful insights or ideas that I have not been able to find in many other sites.

I hope you do come back, but if not then best of luck with your writing.
AnyaKimlun (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
The problem that I see is most of the writing isn't worth reading or critiquing. I'm especially disappointed by the quality of the writing in the Members Only area. I thought that was where people posted work with the intention of submitting it for publication at some point. But most of the writing doesn't come close to anything near publishable.

And then there are people saying how good the writing is. I don't know what people are thinking. And most of the crits amount to, "It really grabbed my attention. I'd read more! Etc. etc.

But we're all here to learn, you're thinking. True, and that's why I came here, but so much of the writing doesn't indicate any talent, or very little if of it. My guess is people who can write come here, take a look the quality of work and then decide there's nothing here for them.

I'll pop in occasionally, but unless there is a miraculous influx of people who can write and critique, I won't be back.
Good post. It really grabbed my attention. Hopefully i'll get to read more of your posts in the future.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Talkeetna (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 24

Yes, I'm new but I'm noticing that a lot of the threads are idle. I'm trying to post in a few of them to maybe spark some activity in people who are 'watching' threads.

I think we get so caught up in work that we forget to socialize. That's why I'm here!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Good post. It really grabbed my attention.
Yup, me too.

I don't write much anymore but when I did, I didn't come here for indepth crits. The members' only section seems more for cronies than people serious about subbing their work, and the general section seems mostly about simple "I love it!" or "great job!" type comments with the occasional spag nazi flexing their muscles.

Maybe I got spoiled by the workshop at the last forum I used. That place had top notch critters and top notch writers looking for serious input on work intended for proper publication, not just sending to nook, amazon etc. Mind you, I havent been there in over a year so maybe things have changed.

But yeah, this forum isnt for serious writers. Sorry if people here don't want to hear that but it's the truth. Personally, I come here to waste time and hang out with folks I like. That's about it really.

You want serious critique, try Writingforums.com's workshop or maybe AbsoluteWrite. There's also Critters.org, though they're mostly geared towards fantasy and science fiction. Very serious bunch though, from what I remember.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

The members of the forum who complain about it not being for "serious" writers:

a) How many "serious" crits a month do you do?
b) How many "serious" pieces of writing a year do you put up to be critiqued?

If people don't do "serious" crits or put up "serious" pieces of writing how do you expect the forums to be "serious" writing forums?

I'm not a "serious" writer and have no intention of ever being one the whole process is fun and I don't wish that to change. However my writing has improved because of crits, including the ones on these forums.

My critiquing has improved over time.

Very few writers start out perfect and very few writers start out knowing how to crit. It takes time to understand and to know where problems are. Just this month Mike C has given me help on my listing commas, JimmyMc has helped me with some characterisation, Risk and Gavriel (have I spelt everyone right) have pointed me in the right direction with work. Ok it hasn't been pulled apart as comprehensively as on my fantasy forum but that will take time.

Maybe if those whingeing about the state of the forums bothered to do "serious" crits, just one a week on a short piece then it would improve.

It has improved considerably over the past few months because of the people who bother to get off their arses.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnyaKimlun For This Useful Post:
amberzak (10-29-2013), Gimple (10-22-2013), risk10 (10-22-2013)

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback