WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Where am I?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:31 PM
lessthanlindsey (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 20
Default Where am I?

I don't even know where to begin. I haven't written in what feels like years. I have had the literal WORST writers block in the history of all time. I can barely write this, that's how badly my brain refuses to use words.

How do y'all get out of writers block? Because it's honestly killing me and I've never had anything this bad. A few days, yeah, but this has been MONTHS.

(In the mean time, though, I did start and Etsy, so my time hasn't been all wasted.)

And I do come back to read some of everyone's work every now and again; I'm just too lazy to log in and comment on it. So if you've posted anything in the past month, good work!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 401

Just don't write. Sometimes it's nice to be entertained. Don't ever force writing or it will be bad. Just relax, watch some TV and it will come to you.
Mike C (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Mad Dog Smith (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 28

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
Just don't write. Sometimes it's nice to be entertained. Don't ever force writing or it will be bad. Just relax, watch some TV and it will come to you.
I would have said to write anyway.

Not sure if writer's block is real or not. Could be all in his head.

I'd advise him to just write something short. One of this here site's prompts maybe.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:24 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

When I have writer's block, I go to writing forums and steal good ideas. Of course that means going to other writing forums -- so don't worry.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:39 AM
LeWriter (Offline)
Living and then some

Thanks 181

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
I would have said to write anyway.

Not sure if writer's block is real or not. Could be all in his head.

From my own experience I would say it actually has a substantial effect on writers instead of being some indolent justification of not being able to write. The thing here is writing is an art, and feeling forms the base of all expression. We can't control how we feel at different times, so consistency would be tricky in certain aspects. But then again, it all depends, because emotions do not necessarily prevail all, as long as there is a story to tell, then it's down to the mechanics along with the right touch of alchemy to make a good read.

Speaking of getting into the right mood, it brings to mind 'method acting', which could also be quite applicable to writing as well. It's all about the ability to induce yourself into the right state for good writing, which mostly entails honesty and earnestness.

I haven't written anything solid for months save a few poems I managed to churn out during my worst. The interminable blinking text of a blank white screen drives me insane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LeWriter; 06-18-2015 at 04:42 AM..
Old 06-18-2015, 10:52 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,898

("...tell me more human, I mean you've started so you might as well continue here with the whys and the wherefores..." smiled the goblin only to happy to offer his company now, then adding "...sometimes it's hard to write because one won't break one's own silence by talking, but talking and writing are more or less the same thing really, where first you do one little post, then another, and then you reply back to someone because you feel that they're expecting that reply like now, so the trick against writer's block is simply involving yourself in your future readers, where those posts are the stepping stones to your books perhaps...",ah but didn't everyone know that goblins were not to be trusted)
Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 AM
lessthanlindsey (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 20

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I listened to a TON of spike work poetry and I just wrote my first piece in months. I might post it later!
The Following User Says Thank You to lessthanlindsey For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,898

("...tell me more like whether it's good to be alive, and why Maryland had been like "the home of writer's block" to you..." smiled the goblin, adding "...oh, and don't skimp on those adjectives now, just take make where you wilst who cares as long as I'm pulled along by you...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 06-20-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Old 06-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Stop stressing and just don't write. It really wont as the end of the world.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe