WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Are your ideas Endless? Who has 'Writers Block'?

Old 05-03-2007, 06:46 AM
EndlessPoss. (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Icon3 Are your ideas Endless? Who has 'Writers Block'?

Hello,

I do not know about you however, my ideas for writing seem to be Endless right now. I know that other people get Writers Block. Nevertheless,for me I can't stop thinking about new ideas.

A good idea may be coming from old ideas but just recycled. I love to write down my ideas. Especially the stories that I put together. The best way to do get those stories out of my head is to write them down. As well as soon as possible while I still remember them. Then I do my research to know how to put them down in a good format that I like.

I think these are good ideas not to get 'stuck in a rut' in other words 'Writers Block'.

Life if full of Endless Possibilities!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:08 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 4

In answer to your question...ME!

I've had major writers block since the beginning of December. It's never happened to me before, not in the severity it has.

I have to point out though it is not with new ideas, i've had plenty of ideas for new writing projects, but the novel is stuck and won't shift.

Luckily my peers in the VIP lounge are going to take a look for me...and as they are a wonderful and talented bunch, I'm pretty sure they'll help me.

Originally Posted by EndlessPoss. View Post
Hello,

I do not know about you however, my ideas for writing seem to be Endless right now. I know that other people get Writers Block. Nevertheless,for me I can't stop thinking about new ideas.

A good idea may be coming from old ideas but just recycled. I love to write down my ideas. Especially the stories that I put together. The best way to do get those stories out of my head is to write them down. As well as soon as possible while I still remember them. Then I do my research to know how to put them down in a good format that I like.

I think these are good ideas not to get 'stuck in a rut' in other words 'Writers Block'.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 3

I often find that I have a bad case of writer's diarrhoea – this happens more often than writer’s block, but they are both troublesome. When it’s coupled with adjectivitis it’s positively malodorous!
She carefully placed her beautiful china teacup next to the delinquent keyboard as she studied her distinctively untidy desk…
…and so on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Drowqueen (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Location: Susteren, Limburg, which is in the narrowest part of the Netherlands
Thanks 0

Is it possible to have a writing anlogy of anorexia/bulemia ?

Until recent, every other sentence I wrote brought up a new plot, idea, you name it. All of a sudden that was gone, no more writing, idea etc.
At least, it gave me time to read my older stuff and edit it. Or just bin it, some of it dates back to my first efforts...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
poemgirl (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

My ideas seem endless, for the first time ever.
One depressing story after annother, OK, not all are depressing but, I do love a good bit of sorrow in a book.
Happy-go-lucky is only my personality, not my writing style.
However I only seem to get a few chapters into my stories then they become trash.
Guess I just need experiance.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Drowqueen (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Location: Susteren, Limburg, which is in the narrowest part of the Netherlands
Thanks 0

One depressing story after annother, OK, not all are depressing but, I do love a good bit of sorrow in a book.

With all the sorrow in the world and what I experienced working in the hospital, I like happy stories better. Or at least a happy ending, after I did unspeakably horrible things to my MC ;-).

However I only seem to get a few chapters into my stories then they become trash. Guess I just need experience.

Got the same problem. I stop writing chapters in sequence when that happens. Just write it down as the idea pops up and worry about placing the loose parts in order later. (You need to review the finished work anyhow...)

Edward.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 PM
poemgirl (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I like sweet and sour endings, you know that it could not have ended 'right' any other way, but the world is full of sorrow so sorrow seems real.
However.
This may have to do with my sheltered life, here is a good illistraition of what I'm trying to say.
Children who live dark, oppressive lives love to dream of happy lives, like Cosette in Les Miserables, and kids who have happy lives play games of horror.
But I believe in balance, and happiness, so only the beginnings of my stories are sad and/or depressing.
sorry for talking your ears off, I do that a lot.
~Ab
Old 05-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Timelord (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Ideas rush through my head so fast I can't hang on to them. Once I start writing, the story begins and then - Bam!- here comes the block. Maybe that would be a good project for a book called: "Can someone finish this?"
Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 AM
OnceUponATime (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: State of Insanity - I must be in order to start my own paper...
Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
Ideas rush through my head so fast I can't hang on to them. Once I start writing, the story begins and then - Bam!- here comes the block. Maybe that would be a good project for a book called: "Can someone finish this?"
Sounds like my problem in a nutshell.

Ideas occur to me all the time (amazing, eh?) and I try to write them down in a notebook I keep handy, then later I type them into my 'Idea Files' folder that I keep on my laptop. The other day at work, I had an idea for a story that would be great for Alfred Hitchcock magazine (still trying to crack that particular walnut) and I wrote the entire outline for it on a Post-It notepad I had in my purse. I'm working on fleshing it out today, but I know that if I hadn't wrote it down on something, the idea would have been lost forever. Because of my problem with A.D.D., ideas come to me all the time, but if I don't write them down within a few minutes, they're quickly forgotten because I'm too easily distracted.

Other things I've scrawled ideas & outlines on over the years:

- Napkins
- A brown paper bag
- A matchbook
- The backside of my telephone bill
- My Palm Pilot (typed a whole short story using the stylus on the microscopic keyboard display)
- Text-messaged myself a few story ideas on my cell phone
- Recorded audio notes on my digital sound recorder
- On various envelopes and whatever scrap of paper I could find

The funny thing about these momentary flashes of insight is that while 75% of them may be pure crap, there's usually a good one here and there that actually turns into something worth reading later on.

-Jillian

Last edited by OnceUponATime; 05-20-2007 at 07:47 AM..
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Duckie (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I won't call it writer's block. But, there are times when ideas just won't come in to your head just because you don't have the inspiration to.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:17 AM
thickwig (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 8

ah, I have been very lazy to think up new ideas. Writing always came naturally, and when I'm forced to actually look upon it as a job or something that has to be done with a schedule, I dont like it.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:51 PM
xiaocaca (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I get writer's block when I'm actually writing a piece that I have been working on. I always have new ideas for stories, but it's hard for my to continue them; it's an occasionally laborious process.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:01 AM
sarcazmo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hi there...
You may want to try getting a notebook and writing freehand. Sometimes the screen is not what you need to start.

Try carryng a regular notebook and hold your words close to your stomach -- like a schoolgirl carrying her books...when.

You may not use all the words from your notes, but you might take away a few good words that you can use.

You should see my notebooks, all mine, the scribbling, the doodling, the process I went through. Go 'round, but you will get there.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 AM
JC Paloma (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I dictate into my cell phone. I seem to always get the best Ideas while I am driving, and trying to write and drive with two kids and a dog in the car is NOT fun. So I dictate into my message box on my phone. When I am ready, I call myself and get my ideas, plus they are stored untill I need them. Corny, but it's an effective way to get thosse long drive ramblings out. And safer.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 AM
gary_wagner

I've heard of this thing labeled, "writer's block" but can't say I've ever found that I am unable to write. I have had "writer's apathy" a lot and I think that is often mistaken for writer's block. I can go for weeks when I don't write, not because I can't, but because I don't feel like it.

We can always write something, not always what we want, but we can still write.

If you find yourself at a dead-end on a story you are working on, try ending it. Or give it a really bizarre plot twist - no matter how stupid it seems. It is easier to fix bad writing than to not write at all because you're not sure where to go with it. At least if you put something down that you don't like, you have eliminated one possiblity. Keep writing until you find the one that works.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Celtic_Rose (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Sigh

Sigh. Woo oh woo to us writers. I think the most common problem for me isn't coming up with the ideas/characters/story lines but following them through to the end. Writer's ADD for sure, can't stick with one story long enough to write those two magical worlds The End. Though I've been workin on that lately (pats self on back for reaching 340 pgs)

Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 PM
JadedAlex (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

Here we all are...WRITING about writer's block.... Is it just me or did my brain just fall out of my head?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57

...most of the time story ideas, really good ones, come to me when taking a shower. maybe its something about the running water. you really have to count on your memory here because there's nothing to write with.

I can't stand it... but I love it, lol

on writers block the way to beat it is just to start free writing. don't stop to edit just start writing (helps if its about the characters or scenes in your story).
Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

My writer's block comes when I have too many ideas and don't know where to focus.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Bellumview (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 9

I use to have insomnia when I was younger waiting for creative writing class the next day. Ha. Now I can't get the fuck out of bed.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Jay Lash (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

My output is low.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 PM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57

don't forget the ideas that pop into your head when you rest to go to sleep. Those are pretty strong stragglers and call for a pen + notepad neatly tucked underneath your pillow. A lot of novel ideas have come to fruition in this setting.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Alligrace797 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 6

I don't get writer's block as much as I once did.

I usually have tons of endless ideas and that usually leads to massive rewrites which are definitely not good at the moment.

I get ready to post something and then I have to go back and change it!

Uggh....absolutely annoying.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Seedy M. (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 74

Writer's block isn't usually about new ideas. I've published 259 books and only came upon it once. It is when you are writing something and you suddenly can't go on. I've almost had it a few times, but realized that I had painted myself into a corner in some way, so went with another idea in another book.
The time I allowed it I decided to write through it. What I wrote made it the first thing in 30 years I totally erased. It only got worse.
When you hit that kind of block it's possibly because you've put up a roadblock in the story and there's no detour that will get you to where you were going. Drop it and start something else. It's not a block if you simply change the route. I've had a few writer's detours. Just one writer's block.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe