WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Referring to Publishing History in Query Letter

Old 01-01-2018, 06:12 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 34
Default Referring to Publishing History in Query Letter

I have been advised that when one submits a letter to a prospective agent
one should provide information regarding one’s publishing history.

I wonder if I should omit a certain piece because it was written a long time ago.

The piece in question appeared in a magazine/newspaper entitled “The New York Native.” (I believe it is now defunct) . It was published on or around October 7, 1985. It was seen in many newsstands in New York and I think it was commonly seen on newsstands, in gay areas, in other parts of the nation. It is to my knowledge NOT ON THE INTERNET. It was an unsolicited piece and I was paid for it (A mere fifty dollars). Among other things, I noted that AIDS cases in the country totaled 1000 at the end of 1982, totaled 10,000 at the end of 84 and I said that at this rate we would soon have millions of cases. I argued for intense political activity to obtain more research dollars for AIDS. The essay was entitled “Towards a New Political Offensive on AID.”

Since then I had nothing published until 2012 to 2013 when I wrote a few pieces for the Daily Dissident. Some of these pieces can be seen on line. I was not paid anything by the Daily Dissident.

In any event, my oldest published piece was, I think, more significant because it was in a more widely read periodical and yielded some dough. (I don’t mean that it was better because I got 50 bucks for it; I mean that in the publishing world that might make you seem less insignificant.) However, because it was done so long ago (As I said above, it was published in 1985) perhaps I should not discuss it. I guess I am attracted to that essay because in 1985 most of Amerika (I sometimes spell it Jerry Rubin style) was blithely, merrily oblivious to the epidemic.

So should I include that ancient publication or omit it in a query letter.

I welcome all intelligent advice. Please don’t sarcastically tell me that I am too old to even think about getting anything published. I am well aware of my age (60) and I know that as time goes by one’s opportunities wither and wane.

I thank all informed responses.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:01 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 942

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post
I have been advised that when one submits a letter to a prospective agent

one should provide information regarding one’s publishing history.

I wonder if I should omit a certain piece because it was written a long time ago.

The piece in question appeared in a magazine/newspaper entitled “The New York Native.” (I believe it is now defunct) . It was published on or around October 7, 1985. It was seen in many newsstands in New York and I think it was commonly seen on newsstands, in gay areas, in other parts of the nation. It is to my knowledge NOT ON THE INTERNET. It was an unsolicited piece and I was paid for it (A mere fifty dollars). Among other things, I noted that AIDS cases in the country totaled 1000 at the end of 1982, totaled 10,000 at the end of 84 and I said that at this rate we would soon have millions of cases. I argued for intense political activity to obtain more research dollars for AIDS. The essay was entitled “Towards a New Political Offensive on AID.”

Since then I had nothing published until 2012 to 2013 when I wrote a few pieces for the Daily Dissident. Some of these pieces can be seen on line. I was not paid anything by the Daily Dissident.

In any event, my oldest published piece was, I think, more significant because it was in a more widely read periodical and yielded some dough. (I don’t mean that it was better because I got 50 bucks for it; I mean that in the publishing world that might make you seem less insignificant.) However, because it was done so long ago (As I said above, it was published in 1985) perhaps I should not discuss it. I guess I am attracted to that essay because in 1985 most of Amerika (I sometimes spell it Jerry Rubin style) was blithely, merrily oblivious to the epidemic.

So should I include that ancient publication or omit it in a query letter.

I welcome all intelligent advice. Please don’t sarcastically tell me that I am too old to even think about getting anything published. I am well aware of my age (60) and I know that as time goes by one’s opportunities wither and wane.

I thank all informed responses.

I think you should include it. Why not? It’s a publishing cred.

And... I don’t think your age matters much in the writing world, especially these days. I mean, if you were young and good looking it might be a bonus on a book tour, but Stephen King has never won any beauty contests😀

Writers seem to be more like radio DJ’s. As long as you can lay down the word, man...
Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 164

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post
Look, if you're going to rule out sarcasm you're seriously reducing the prospect of any response at all. However I will say 60 is far too young to be published. You should be out having fun at your age, and developing a better sense of humour. It might endear you to all those prospective publishers.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing