WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Nationality of characters

Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 PM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46
Default Nationality of characters

I have no idea if this is the correct thread to ask this but here it comes. I am currently working on a novel whose main character was supposed to be Polish, action takes places in Poland and in France. I haven't actually started writing the prose, I have just several pages of outlines, characters, etc. I originally thought about writing it in English because there would be a larger audience for it but now i hear that there is less chance for people from USA, UK, Austrialia, or any other English speaking people for that matter, to be interested in it because of the origin of the characters. I am very curious as to what you think about this issue. Would you be more willing to read something just because the characters come from the same background as you?

Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,116

The short answer for me is no.

I donít care where the characters come from, their ethnicity, their heritage, their culture, or how they look.

If you can make good characters, I also donít care where you, the author, comes from, or your affiliations. I also donít care about your political associations.

For me itís about the writing. I can usually tell in the first few pages but sometimes it takes longer. And if someone I trust says: ďdude, I know the beginning is a little slow (or whatever), but once it gets going itís awesome,Ē Iíll read it.

Although... I might be looking for something different from the general public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
pralina (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,374

Originally Posted by pralina View Post
I have no idea if this is the correct thread to ask this but here it comes. I am currently working on a novel whose main character was supposed to be Polish, action takes places in Poland and in France. I haven't actually started writing the prose, I have just several pages of outlines, characters, etc. I originally thought about writing it in English because there would be a larger audience for it but now i hear that there is less chance for people from USA, UK, Austrialia, or any other English speaking people for that matter, to be interested in it because of the origin of the characters. I am very curious as to what you think about this issue. Would you be more willing to read something just because the characters come from the same background as you?

I prefer reading about people in places other than the US when they are being written about by people who are not from the US.
pralina (01-05-2018)

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing