WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

What Are You Reading?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

I'm sorry but I think Perdido Street Station is incredibly boring. Call me unintelligent or whatever you want, I just don't like it. It doesn't help that Mieville wants to use so many difficult words, too. Some of them aren't enormously difficult, but it's like... I don't like it when authors use big words seemingly just for the sake of using them. It's unnecessary to me. *shrug*

Anyway... today I'm going to pick up Alice Walker's The Color Purple (as well as Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law if they have it available).

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM
A.r.p. (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 67

The Remains of The Day was an immense novel. To craft such beauty and meaning out of events so mundane . . . Ishiguro is a master IMO.

Now I'm reading Falconer by John Cheever. It's interesting so far. Very strange and non-linear. Lots of weird little tidbits I don't-quite-but-almost-grasp-the-meaning-of. And it's funny in a very dark, way over the top but also dulled by opiates kind of way.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Antonym (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 16

The French Lieutenant's Woman. It's goood. I've only read it once before and I had glandular fever then, so I'm hoping it sticks a bit more in my head this time.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Redlorry

A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French... It just jumped of the supermarket shelf and into my basket.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
It just jumped of the supermarket shelf and into my basket.

Haha, that's why I love you!

Cancer mom blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Writer blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gwyndolin For This Useful Post:
Reddy Dean (09-29-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 AM
jimr (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

I have read these in the past month or so. On a 1-10 scale: PARADISE LOST 3, A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND by O'Conner 4, A MOVABLE FEAST 6, EPIC OF GILGAMESH 7, NEIGHBORS by Carver 5, and THE HOLLOW by N. Roberts 7.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Rick Deckard (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via Skype™ to Rick Deckard

Just read I, Robot by Asimov. Awesome stuff. Can't believe it took me this long.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

Sorry you don't like Perdido Street, Reddy. I liked it - not my favourite, but I liked it. If words are too long for me, I just kind of skim them, they seem to sink into my subconcious and I get the general intent. Sometimes, if they bug me, I look them up. The only book whose language really annoyed me was Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco - that really was hard work. But then I read it at a good time when I could be bothered nutting it all out, having been book starved for some time.

Right now I'm reading Zero History by William Gibson, and enjoying it. He has a very diverse vocab also - words I've never heard before. Yet the sentences are short, the structure simple. He uses heaps of adverbs, even three or four to a sentence. Somehow, it all works regardless. He breaks 'rules' really well. I like how one of his characters is an incredibly hairy guy with a monobrow.

Another of Gibson's characters refers to reading as being his first drug. That concept works for me. I can relate.

Last edited by fihr; 09-27-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Gwyndolin View Post
Haha, that's why I love you!
Because I am a compulsive, impulsive shopper...? At least someone appreciates that about me. Would you please talk to my husband?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Reddy Dean View Post
I'm sorry but I think Perdido Street Station is incredibly boring. ....

I'm a bit of the same opinion, I've tried starting several of his novels but none have held my interest past the first chapter...

same with Neal Stephenson (though I'm still looking to try some of his older works).

-
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 60

I circled every word that I didn't know (whether I had no idea or was only 50/50 sure) for every page regarding Perdido Street Station. It got pretty ridiculous. If people want to use such flowery language, fine. It's just not for me. *shrug*

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Sel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

I just finished The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky for my second time, and still I'm left in wonderment. I understood it a lot more this time around, and I was really able to analyze the main character's disorder more than what I first read it, but still something is left to be questioned. The overall stream of events, the actuality of the plot, leaves me in somewhat of a curious air.

Anybody else read this and want to discuss?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
A.r.p. (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 67

I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It's great to the point of frustration. Some of the characters are so despicable I almost can't keep reading.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Jinjonator (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 45
Send a message via MSN to Jinjonator

Right now I'm reading A Clash of Kings. Next I'll probably read either The Stranger or The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I really want to read War and Peace at some point... but damn, dat page count. Has anyone else here read it?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Reddy Dean View Post
I'm sorry but I think Perdido Street Station is incredibly boring. Call me unintelligent or whatever you want, I just don't like it. It doesn't help that Mieville wants to use so many difficult words, too.
Originally Posted by A.r.p. View Post
The Remains of The Day was an immense novel. To craft such beauty and meaning out of events so mundane . . . Ishiguro is a master IMO.
Just goes to show; there's no such thing as the perfect novel.

I loved Perdido Street Station for the richness of language as much as anything.

Remains of the Day... meh. I found the stiff-upper-lipped restraint just a tad wearing, and the message spelled out by semaphore.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 60

Reading Misery, by Stephen King. Next up is some Dickens or Twain, possibly King's The Shining.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Rick Deckard (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via Skype™ to Rick Deckard

Originally Posted by Jinjonator View Post
Right now I'm reading A Clash of Kings. Next I'll probably read either The Stranger or The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I really want to read War and Peace at some point... but damn, dat page count. Has anyone else here read it?
Totally reading A Clash of Kings as well. Tried The Unbearable Lightness like three times, but I just can't get through it.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Loved Unbearable Lightness, beautifully written.

Currently reading Girl, 20, by Kingsley Amis
Old 10-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Loved Unbearable Lightness, beautifully written.
Mike, I read this after you mentioned it elsewhere on the forum. I agree it is a totally wonderfully written book, but it had such momments of surrealness that I honestly can't recall exactly what it was about.

Currently reading: Dear Fatty (autobiography) by Dawn French
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
Mike, I read this after you mentioned it elsewhere on the forum. I agree it is a totally wonderfully written book, but it had such momments of surrealness that I honestly can't recall exactly what it was about.
It's about:

A guy who gets laid a lot.
The two women who complicate his life, and the lover of one of them.
The Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia.
Censorship, art and betrayal.
A dog.
A philosophical musing on love and sex - the 'lightness' of being, and an exploration of the concept that we only have one fleeting life live (more 'lightness'), counterpointing the Nietzschian theory that history repeats itself and events recur over and over, giving existence 'weight'.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
It's about:

A guy who gets laid a lot.
The two women who complicate his life, and the lover of one of them.
The Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia.
Censorship, art and betrayal.
A dog.
A philosophical musing on love and sex - the 'lightness' of being, and an exploration of the concept that we only have one fleeting life live (more 'lightness'), counterpointing the Nietzschian theory that history repeats itself and events recur over and over, giving existence 'weight'.
See I remember all that, and I took away a message about not getting bogged down by life. But the one bit that stumped me was when he took his wife to the park and told her to walk over the hill (won't say anymore because of spoiling it for others) but that one single part really threw me.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

That was a dream, I think.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
CandraH

Now I'm curious. Just wish I had more time and better eyes. Oh well.

I'm having a problem with a book I'm reading. Cant remember the title (which isnt a good thing) but it was written by Michael Sarabande I think, and is about the first Americans crossing into America from Asia.

My problem is these stalking cloaks the hunters wear adorned with antlers on top of their heads, and they wear these to stalk Caribou. Now, fair enough, I think I heard something about that a while ago - that they found these head dresses (for want of a better description) and cloaks and thought they were used in hunting. But I'm sure more recently they figured out that the weight of the antlers and the fur cloak would get in the way of the hunter's movements and that these things were only used in ritual or celebration situations.

Anyone know the right way of that? I could probably google but I'm too tired right now so I'm bugging you guys and hoping a big brain or two will weigh in and help me out. I cant go back to the book until I know either way. Though, I'm thinking if I'm right, I probably wont bother going back...

Still reading Lin's Calendar Girls too by the way. Just in case he's watching.

End ramble
Old 10-05-2011, 04:54 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

Just finished Beyond Fear, by Jaye Ford, a thriller. Different genre for me. Now reading The First Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach, by Steven Erikson - and loving the beginning. Nice to read something short by him.

I've also been reading a literary magazine of short stories. Having just read a magazine of sci fi/fantasy. Trying to broaden my horizons, but only succeeding in confirming that in general, speculative fiction hooks me in way more than most other kinds. Which means its probably what I'll end up writing mostly.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Kazeshini (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 19

The Waste Lands, Altered Carbon and various assorted manga.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Nadja

Finally got around to reading the Jeeves and Wooster books.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:40 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Nadja View Post
Finally got around to reading the Jeeves and Wooster books.
I loved the series when it was on TV. One of my favourites, and for a long time I couldn't take Hugh Laurie seriously in anything he did. Until House that is.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Morechoiriel (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 29
Send a message via AIM to Morechoiriel

If any of you like fantasy, you should check out 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm on the second book now, called 'The Wise Man's Fear'. The first book was excellent, and the second one so far has not been a disappointment.
Gwyndolin (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 02:48 PM
auburnivory (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Reading 'Wildlife' by Richard Ford. It's very spare - I like that kind of thing, it's clean and simple, but it's not standing out for me very much.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Nadja

Re-reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I'd forgotten just how humorous it is at times.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library