WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

The Coffee Shop

Old 05-08-2007, 11:19 AM
kittie067 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thanks Josie.. my mom was telling me what they were as i was typing the post, but I decided to ask anyways.

oh another question... where does the word "Cripe" come from. Im reading this book thats published in the u.s and it had that in there, and i got a little confused as i know its not american.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
josiehenley (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 3

I’m guessing you mean cripes which is a substitute swearword. A bit like golly and gosh as a substitute for ‘god’ when people don’t want to blaspheme. Cripes, crikey, crumbs and all of those ‘cr’ words are a substitute for saying ‘Christ’. Then there’s shoot, sugar and shine on for you-know-what, and all sorts of words beginning with ‘f’ like flipping, freaking, for goodness’ sakes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:21 PM
kittie067 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hmm.. that's interesting, in the book I read they just said "Cripe."

Oh well.. but isnt it a british swear word?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:41 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

I think that some people say cripe rather than cripes, but I’ve never seen it written down. I’m not sure it could be classed as an actual swearword, as it’s something that children say, and is acceptable in children’s novels. It could be seen on the same level as blimey and golly gosh, but not as bad as crap or bloody hell. So it’s a ‘cuss’ but not ‘swearing’. Difficult to tell the distinction in actual fact. I suppose it’s how people react to it that matters. My gran wouldn’t have batted an eye if I’d said cripes, but I’d have had a smack for bloody crap!

*sips latte*

I’d just like to share with ya’ll something that happened to me in the carpark this morning. We have a bit of a parking issue here at the hospital, with far too many staff and not enough spaces. Plenty of times I sit in my car reading, while waiting for someone coming off a nightshift to go home so I can take their space. I was doing that this morning, spotted a doctor in scrubs carrying an empty Tupperware box (always a dead giveaway, that and the bags under the eyes).

I started up my car and began manoeuvring over to that side of the carpark. As expected she got in a car and pulled out. Then lo and behold from round the corner came another car to take the space before I’d got to it. I was gobsmacked! I’d been there for 15 minutes already. Now normally I’m a non-confrontational kind of person but I couldn’t contain myself. Road rage has nothing on carpark rage.

I got out and very politely said excuse me I was waiting for that space. This woman shrugged and said no you weren’t you were the other side of the carpark! She’d come from outside of the carpark to take this space, but would not have it that I should have priority as I’d been waiting. I asked her if she’d like someone to take a space she’d been waiting for. Lucky for her another night shift worker came out and I had that space.

I couldn’t believe how *angry* I was. I contemplated scratching the car with my keys. I managed to contain myself and laughed it off, thinking she’ll get her karma at some point I’m sure. But this has made me wonder about what we put ourselves through in modern society.

I have one thing to thank this woman for – inspiration for a short story about carpark rage.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:46 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Location: Deep within the darkest recesses of the Paris Metro
Send a message via AIM to tarakan

sliding Doors...Changing Lanes...

Go for it!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Mridula (Offline)
Following Time
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by HarryHoudini
can some one grab me a green tea please i feel like crap that or get me a chai tea
It's so funny to see people saying chai tea. In Hindi, it's the equivalent of saying tea tea. What exactly is this chai tea? Indian tea?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 4

hahaha! can't speak hahaha! mores to the point can't type! hahaha!

to avoid further cultural confusion...this is a pastie in britain. They are best straight out of the oven, so i wouldn't want them on my nipples!

Chai tea...tea tea...oh yeah, never thought of that
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

Those pasties look good Panda, yum yum! I've got pork pie for lunch again. That is best served cold. I’ve heard of people warming up a pork pie and making the jelly go all dribbly. The thought is disgusting! Once I gave an extra special pork pie to my girlfriend’s mother and she served it with carrots and gravy. I actually cried. She was Northern but that’s no excuse.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4

She was Northern but that’s no excuse.
Yeah we do things a bit strange up here!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4

I know I'm double posting here...but has anyone noticed that it lokks like I'm trying to get my username on all the area's on the forums page...LOL Somebody post something!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:17 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

At the opening of Harry Ramsden's in Hong Kong the Chinese also did some things differently.

Filled the yorkshire puddings with ice cream (yuck!)

Pointed the fishes head away from them

Had to have an even number of chips on the plate

Tarakan
Old 05-09-2007, 06:15 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

yorkshire puds with ice-cream eeewwww!! Mind you, I've heard of people thinking it's not savoury because it's called 'pudding'. What about black pudding with custard! lol.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:37 AM
kittie067 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

I haven't had yorkshire pudding. Although I had this one cake pudding chocolate thing, in wymbolden (sorry if its spelled wrong!) it was soooooo goood!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

Okay, but Yorkshire pudding is a savoury thing that you eat with beef and gravy on your roast dinner plate. Mind you, I'm sure my son would be happy to pour honey over them. Then again, when we were in America he ate sausages and pancakes with maple syrup on both sausage and pancake, and I don't think this is too rare in the States, so maybe I'm flogging a dead horse here with this cultural thing!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

One moment please, did you say Wimbledon?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
alia43 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to alia43 Send a message via MSN to alia43

hello everyone, all this talk of pastries and puddings is making me one.
*browses coffee counter and settles down for a strawberry filled pastry*
Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

mmm strawberries and Wimbledon mentioned on the same page! Where's Martina?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Wimbledon? *settles down with morning paper and capo and looks out the window* must be raining...
Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 AM
kittie067 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

Yes, wimbolden was lovely.... I want to go back to England, we also had fish and "chips." And went on the tube... I loved the accents.
*sighs*

I went 3 summers ago, to visit some uncles (oddly enough on my father's side, who is Arab) Go figure!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

full of wombles milling around and clogging up the buses....
Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4

Ah London! I'm going to London for the weekend in OctOber with the girls. A little culture and sophistication...Who am I trying to kid here...I'm going with the girls! What did it say on our t-shirts last time, oh yeah 'Northern Tottie Tour - on the Lash in London'. Classy eh?

I honestly thought we were going to get booted off the train for our rowdiness (first class you know!). I was kind of embarrassed by the hotel...which was a bit more like camping with electrical sockets...I'd have hated to be a 'real' tourist that ended up there. Apart from the fact that we were singing our heads off at four in the morning with several Irish farmers, it was minging! But then again, when we googled it, we did ask for a 'cheap' hotel. You get what you pay for in this world.

EDIT: I still have my Orinoco and a very small Madame Cholette and as far as I am aware they have never travelled on a bus. And i was once nicknamed 'the womble', it went hand in hand with 'the borrower' and 'the scrounger'...its what you get fopr running a department with no budget!

Last edited by starpanda; 05-10-2007 at 07:41 AM..
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM
kittie067 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

Ummm... what is a womble?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 PM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

A Womble is a furry teddy bear type of thing that lives on Wimbledon Common and recycles rubbish. The song goes:

Underground, overground, Wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folks leave behind.
Uncle Bulgaria (something something) with his map of the world!
Pick up the papers, bring them to Tobomooooory.

Lalalala lots of other words that I haven’t sung since I was six years old.
Thankyou TK and Panda for the good memories.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
kittie067 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0

Interesting....is it sort of like a borrower? As in Mary Norton's Borrowers?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

Similar idea, but they're furry and they have funny noses, more like bears than little people. They were animated models. Not on TV any more unfortunately. The other song, that went into the UK charts, was:

Remember you're a womble
Remember you're a womble
Remember member member what a womble womble womble you are

Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4

Wombles were the first eco-warriors...they recycled our trash. They have their own website...let the world be educated! Tee hee

Josie I'm really impressed that you remembered all the words to the songs!

EDIT:...I'd post a picture but they are all copyrighted.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:03 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Er hmmm!

Wombles can also be pensioners who clog up the buses...
Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3

Ah, now I’m with you! Yes, pensioners who clog up buses are given a nickname ‘womble’ which was based on the original Wombles. If you see a picture of the wombles that the Panda and me are talking about then you’ll understand why. lol - excellent link, Panda. I'd forgotten about Stepney!

PS I’ve just started a new boardgame, check it out. http://www.writersbeat.com/clich-hell-t9909.html

Old 05-11-2007, 04:38 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4

Ah...must be a south of Birmingham thing! White chocolate and lemon chesecake anyone?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:20 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

*Takes a slice of Panda's cheese cake and sits down opening the paper*

Panda Software: Made-to-Measure Security Solutions

Online and network protection requirements will vary according to your organisational structure. The scalable and modular architecture of Panda security software allows you to create made-to-measure solutions with maximum reactive and proactive protection against all Internet borne threats.

Protect your company FREE for one year with Panda Software – call 0870 2430690 for details.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;101199.../solutions.asp

Are you moonlighting Panda?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe