WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Contest Results l Poetry l Ode (July 2007)

Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 AM
aprilrain (Offline)
I need more minions
Loyal Member

Default Contest Results l Poetry l Ode (July 2007)

First of all, I would like to give a BIG thank you to kal for agreeing to be a guest judge this month and help us out with all of these fantastic entries in the poetry section. If you would like to be a guest judge for a future poetry contest, please send me a PM. You won't be able to enter that particular contest, but you will receive our undying gratitude.

We have a tie for first place! Congratulations to both winterstorm and gary_wagner, and thanks to everyone for entering and either inspiring us or making us hungry.

winterstorm / gary_wagner 17.83
Hekate 17.5
Tau Worlock 17
jbcyrus 16.83
skhull 16.67
Brittany / celador 15.17
_zeb_ 15

Originally Posted by BreezyWriter View Post
Member: Skhull
Title:
Ode to a Diet
Mechanics: 4/5
Intangibles: 4/5
Overall Impression: 10/10
Comments: Nice representation of an ode. Though it is more then three quarters correct but not completely correct. . An ode is not as easy as it seams. Nice work.
Score: 18/20
-------------------------------------------------------
Member: gary_wagner
Title: Ode to a hot dog

Mechanics: 5/5
Overall Impression: 9/10
Comments: That’s not fair now I’m hungry. Even though the beginning was rather none enticing the end part won me over. Nicely done though not quite a complete ode.
Member: _zeb_
Title: Ode to Day Lilies

Comments: The ode started out perfect in the first two phrases. Then some how went off track in the last two parts. In the third part if the first two sentences would have been reversed it would have been perfect. Even though it was nicely depicted it was not a complete ode. Good work though.
Score: 17/20
Member: Brittany
Title: An Ode to Twinkies
Overall Impression: 7/10
Comments: You nicely depicted the feeling of the twinkies. Unfortunatly there is a lack of structure in the poem that prevents one from seeing it as being an ode.
Score: 15 /20
Member: Hekate
Title: To Night

Comments: Different; I couldn’t decide if the poem was either fractured or something that could have been written sometime in the late 17th or some time in the 18th century. I’ve decide on the later even though the ending didn’t feel complete.
Member: celador
Title: An Ode To Everything, aka: Ginger Wiggles

Overall Impression: 8/10
Comments: Nice try though it feels more like a song then an ode.
Score: 16/20
Member: jbcyrus
Title:
“Ode to Words Worth Forgetting”
Comments: Nicely put, making one reflect on the reality of such thoughts.
Member: Tau Worlock
Title: Silent Ode.

Intangibles: 5/5
Comments: Wow, this is really well done.
Score: 20/20
Member: Winterstorm
Title:
Ode to Sunlight
Comments: Nice poetry though it doesn’t resemble an ode.
Score: 19/20
Originally Posted by aprilrain View Post
Wow!! These were all so excellent in quality that it was difficult to find fault or differentiate too much. Very well done, everyone!

Member: Skhull
Title: Ode to a Diet
Comments: Wonderful! Very humorous but smart in its rhythm. A pleasure to read.
Score: 19/20
Member: gary_wagner
Title: Ode to a hot dog
Intangibles: 4.5/5
Comments: This definitely makes me want one now. I love some of the words and phrases of homage. Very clever.
Score: 18.5/20
Title: Ode to Day Lilies
Comments: I like how you relate flowers to nostalgic and hopeful thoughts. Well done.
Title: An Ode to Twinkies
Mechanics: 4.5/5
Overall Impression: 7.5/10
Comments: Very cute. I enjoyed how you used old-fashioned words (ye, forsake) with a modern day treat. Makes me want one!
Score: 16.5/20
Overall Impression: 8.5/10
Comments: Beautiful. The personification details a lovely, glamorous social event.
Score: 17.5/20
Title: An Ode To Everything, aka: Ginger Wiggles
Comments: Very "feel good" and a rhythmic feel. Less of what I would consider and ode and more of a children's song, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Title: “Ode to Words Worth Forgetting”
Comments: Luckily, this isn't worth forgetting. Nice job.
Title: Silent Ode.
Overall Impression: 8.5/10
Comments: The lack of capitals is clever in this instance, and I like the repetition of "stillness" and "essence."
Member: Winterstorm
Title: Ode to Sunlight
Comments: The rhythm isn't as structured as most of the others but the content is amazing. The sunlight is like a third entity in the room. Love it.
Score: 18.5/20
Originally Posted by kal
Sorry If you guys think I'm harsh, but that's just how I am.

Member: skhull
Title: Ode to a diet
Mechanics: 3/5
Intangibles: 3/5
Comments: You put yourself in a box with the form you chose, unfortunately it was a cardbord box and didn't do you any favours. In places you ignored the rhyme scheme completely and to me that seems lazy, that you didn't check or spend long enough on the poem to find the right words. Sentences are not limited to stanzaz, they can flow from verse to verse just as easily as from line to line. However I did love the last stanza, that attitude, that essence should have rushed through the entire poem instead of just at the end.
Score: 13/20

--------------------------

Member: gary wagner
Title: ode to a hot dog
Comments: Haha, great stuff. Surprised I didn't see your waffle poem here. The sexy angle you've taken here really works to your advantage. Soft rhymes, and rhythm really pushed the piece along though in places it wasn't perfect. The first line I think was just too long, too much to begin with. Similarly with the first line of the thrid stanza, overall good work just a few little niggles.

Title: ode to day lilies
Overall Impression: 5/10
Comments: At first glance, it is obvious that the poem is, despite the four line stanzas, not following a strict stucture. The lines change length dramatically, not really a major issue, but visibly it can be off putting. No punctuation, seemingly random capitalisation, grammar can help clarify matters even in poetry. I think a great deal of passion was missing from this piece, I couldn't picture the lilies, I couldn't feel why you needed to write about them. It didn't move me in any way.
Score: 11/20

Title: ode to twinkies
Comments: So light and refreshing, even if not technically accurate (some might say). There is no need for a line to begin with a capital and end with a comma, not unless the words require it, they couldn't be standard. First I thought the "ye" was out of place but as it's carried on it adds to the playful tone.
Score: 14/20

Comments: wow. I loved it, some lines were a little off in beat but that may have just been my ear. Really mesmerised, you have the tone, style and feel of the poem down perfectly.

Title: ode to everything
Comments: Well that was certainly different. I liked the sing song rhyme, though in places it was definitely forced and the poem would have benefited from a steady rhythm but over all I liked it. Very bold, just written a little too quickly I fear.

Title: ode to words worth forgetting
Comments: I really liked this, though after awhile, without punctuation it seems a little rambling. Excellent theme, some lines were a little wordy but this would soon be a much smaller problem if the poem was broken up slightly. good work.

Title: Silent ode
Comments: ouch, that old cliché “silence consumes” really put me off. no punctuation or capitals?? though the line breaks served well for pauses. din and sin are not a good rhyme, its very obvious and that’s not what you want, same with stillness and goodness. for that matter what is goodness, you ended a decent poem on a very vague note. now I’m thinking about what you could have possibly meant not the rest of the poem. a strong ending is crucial to a strong poem.

Member: winterstorm
Title: ode to sunlight
Comments: I really like how you went about this poem, it’s a love poem masquerading as an ode to sunlight. a few niggles here and there, such as the first sentence implies that sunlight is nestling under the sheets and in the beginning that was confusing. slimming the poem down would strengthen it I believe. I have to say I adored the line, “I kiss the sunlight on his lips”

Well done to everyone that took part, I’ve been kal.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
gary_wagner

Thank you judges for the time and consideration. Congratulations, Winterstorm. I have really enjoyed these contests. They provide some great ideas and the competition is good for all of us.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 PM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62

Holy Mack
Congratulations Gary. Thanks judges, I liked everyones odes. Great job you all.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests