WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Fellow writers; your attention please.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Elyzabeth (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 13
Default Good article....however

It is over three years old , any update on the situation?

Recent info would be helpful,as would information about what

effect ebooks are having on the publishing problems.

New person here, this info might be elsewhere, willl take a look.

Last edited by Elyzabeth; 09-02-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Lin

It was a lame post anyway.
My suggestion, start another one and articulate your questions and concerns carefully in the title.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
You didn't mention the wonderful smell of acid-treated wood pulp, the joy of turning pages, the thrill of having your home decorated with heavy, mildewable objects that have to be moved.
I grew up with the newspapers and was attached to the tactile experience of reading those too -- the newsprint on your fingers, weeding out all the stupid ads, trying to teach my wife how to fold up a section and frisbee it across the room -- folded edge first, for chrissakes! Then we cancelled the newspaper and by the next day, I’d forgotten all about how fantastic it was.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
CandraH

I like books ya bastards.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Heh. I'm kidding, mostly. I did feel a twinge of sadness when we cancelled the paper and some days I still miss it. We mainly cancelled it because the price kept going up and it kept getting thinner and thinner -- with very little content that you couldn't get elsewhere.

As for books -- I have an iPad, but I stare at various screens all day, so reading a book seems like more of a break or escape. I'm not ready to give them up just yet.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 09-04-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Elyzabeth (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 13
Default I love everything about books !

However, how will it be possible to get paid for them???

Say you charge 99P to read an ebook, and everyone else does the same...

What are the solutions ?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Heh. I'm kidding, mostly.
Oh, I know. Me too.

I just couldnt resist reminding certain folks (not you just so you know) that just because something's new and shiny, we don't have to jump on it's bandwagon to the detriment of everything else. Plenty of room for all out there - books, ebooks, audiobooks, video books, anything.

We never had newspapers in our family. Not sure why, but it's something I've never really bothered with so I don't miss them anyway. Definitely a case of aerodynamics when it comes to skimming them though. Folded edge first means there's less air resistance so it'll skim across the floor nicely. Do it the opposite way and the pages catch the air and flip open and the thing goes nowhere.

And yeah, I'm just as happy to read books on my computer (I don't have a kindle or ipad) as from a print version because I don't buy into the hype that it's ebooks or nothing.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Lin

I find newspapers pretty useless for news. (Living in Mexico and the closest American paper being the San Diego UT might account for that)

But I LOVE having a Sunday paper to read at the table. Go to a restaurant of cafe and sit there going through the paper.
I wish I could somehow get a Sunday LA Times every week. I'd pay big.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 AM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by Elyzabeth View Post
However, how will it be possible to get paid for them???

Say you charge 99P to read an ebook, and everyone else does the same...

What are the solutions ?
Write something people want to read.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
But I LOVE having a Sunday paper to read at the table. Go to a restaurant of cafe and sit there going through the paper.
I wish I could somehow get a Sunday LA Times every week. I'd pay big.
Something I found strange about the big broadsheet papers. When you hold them open you have to stretch your arms out and keep them like that while you read the page. Doesn't that cause some kind of arm strain or something?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:41 PM
heatherpatton (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 0

Very nice articles provided..
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM
TomBird (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3
Send a message via Yahoo to TomBird
Icon5 Alas San Francisco

Thank you for the timely reminder. We need to research the markets in order to not follow the fate of many of the paper writers. There are online markets on the I-net, the predominant one is Amazon, in my humble opinion.

Buggy whips and spats have gone the way of the dodo. Books printed on paper are next, I believe. Gas pedals gave way to accelerators and electronic publishing is in its ascendency. I guess that next will be psychic tales that are induced into the brain. Or perhaps the bards will make a comeback. Who knows.

Tom

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
I just read a one page article online from the San Francisco Chronicle.

It is titled; Book PUblishers R.I.P. (google it to read it-it's only one page long)

It was printed this month on the 24th and it gives some eye opening info on the state of publishing houses in these hard economic times. Also has a suggestion or two of what authors need to do to get in print and promo their work.

Honestly it is worth the read. Just thought someone might be interested.

Much on these while you read it. "See the following post by zizban for the click on link"
Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Heh. I'm kidding, mostly. I did feel a twinge of sadness when we cancelled the paper and some days I still miss it. We mainly cancelled it because the price kept going up and it kept getting thinner and thinner -- with very little content that you couldn't get elsewhere.

As for books -- I have an iPad, but I stare at various screens all day, so reading a book seems like more of a break or escape. I'm not ready to give them up just yet.
our local paper (no sunday paper) raised the price of the Saturday paper by a quarter - no biggie. People buy it because it is stuffed with the advertising flyers that one sees in a Sunday paper. Knowing the business, I understand that advertisers pay a lot of the freight. I think the extra twenty five cents is because they can get away with it, an people in the area want to read the sports pages.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
johnrogers (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Good read

Definitely good information. As hard as it is to get picked up by a large publishing house, things are even worse now. I have self-published my own book, and I have to say, that although it is new, the sales have started already, but an interesting thing to note, is that the digital version is selling much better than the print version.

I do enjoy reading electronically myself, but I also enjoy a print version of the book. I think that it won't be too much longer, maybe not in our lifetime, but soon, there will be nothing but electronic books and those that are in print are going to be hard to come by.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 115

Interesting article. So we must make all the shameless plugs we can to sell our novel (our baby!).

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board