WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Humanoid species in my story

Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM
caters (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Default Humanoid species in my story

I am writing a story called Life on Kepler Bb(B flat, like in music). I have 2 adult humanoids, 1 male and 1 female and a young female humanoid. I will give you a summary of the story and character profiles.

I first describe the planet and its moons. Then I get into the real story.

The male humanoid starts building a shelter. That evening the adult female humanoid hunts down a big male deer without scaring him. The next morning she makes a fruit salad for breakfast. As they settle into a semi hunter-gatherer lifestyle(Not nomadic but do go far out to hunt and forage) they discover new superpowers. They have a baby and after 5 years they know that the child is female.

Character profiles:

Robin(currently my only male character):

Superpowers he knows he has: Ability to crunch bone like a hyena, micro vision, x ray vision, producing positively charged static electricity, knowing when rain is coming from atmospheric changes

Description: A human like creature with superhuman powers. He is able to climb through twists and turns underground like a ferret and up trees like a leopard. He knows how to make ginger ale and how to build a complex home from a basic shelter.

Lisa(my adult female character of the same species):

Superpowers she knows he has: Ability to crunch bone like a hyena, IR vision, x ray vision, knowing when rain is coming from atmospheric changes

Description: A human like creature with superhuman powers. She is able to climb through twists and turns underground like a ferret and up trees like a leopard. She knows how to hunt deer and other large animals. She also knows which fruits are poisonous and which ones are safe. She can tell if she is pregnant or just gaining weight by bending her head down and looking at her belly with X ray vision.

Alma(my young female character):

Superpowers she knows she has: None(But she probably has some that she just hasn't discovered)

Description: A human like creature with superhuman powers. She is able to climb through twists and turns underground like a ferret and up trees like a leopard but not as well as her parents.

General species description(Applies to all 3 characters):

A human like creature with superhuman powers. Excellent climbing power is a built in superpower and to the species, isn't a superpower. Others are discovered with age and learning. A baby is gender neutral until 5 years of age(so genetically gender is already determined but gender is still unknown until it is 5 years old). Then external genitalia start to develop as do gender-specific characteristics. So a pregnant woman won't know the gender of her child until she has taken care of it for 5 years. Immortality is a genetic trait and is recessive. So 2 mortal creatures can have an immortal child. Even with immortality death is guaranteed at some point due to disease or other natural and unnatural causes.

Female characteristics:

They tend to be shorter although some can grow taller than their male counterparts. They tend to be very smart in child care and housework and don't need to be taught although teaching does help considerably.

Male characteristics:

They tend to be taller but some are shorter than the females. They tend to be very smart in building and medical care and again, don't need to be taught these things although teaching does help.

So I am wondering what I should call this species since different individuals of this species have unique superpowers. Some might be able to fly for instance while others might be able to hibernate like a bear or grow fur in cold climates. Some might even be able to evolve into a reptilian morph and this reptilian morph can have different superpowers depending on the type of reptile.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Do you mean "what do humans call them" or do you mean "what is their name for themselves?" The latter can't be answered without deciding on what their language sounds like, so we need to know whether this species has human-like lips, teeth, tongue, jaws, voice boxes and lungs, whether they have human-like ears, whether their atmosphere has similar sound transmission characteristics to ours, and whether their brains have structures analogous to Broca's Area and Wernicke's Area that control language acquisition.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Binx B

Or you could just use your imagination and make something up that sounds plausible.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:13 PM
PearlA (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

The X-Men were all label "mutant" despite the myriad of abilities. a broad generalization might be best.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 AM
zenj (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

good specie
Old 06-14-2017, 07:23 AM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 217

A description of the moons and planets may be an important part of the backstory, but I would not start the story with it. Unless your readers are closet astronomers you will put them to sleep.

You must hook the reader from the get go, and them best way to do that is to put you character or characters in a situation or conflict that ordinary humans will recognize and "feel". Details about the environment and super powers should be worked into the story as needed to support it.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues