WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Wonder Woman movie

Old 07-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 179
Default Wonder Woman movie

Wonder Woman was created by William Moulton Marston and first appeared in 1942. Marston used the pseudonym, Charles Moulton. He was a psychologist and also invented the lie detector. Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman, and her movie is set during World War I. Gadot is skinny as a rail, although she does have a look. Lynda Carter is not easy to top, and I suppose Warner Brothers decided to take a different approach. Wonder Woman (Diana Prince) is from the island of Themyscira. Some say Paradise Island. I compiled a list of 25 Wonder Woman candidates and wanted Bridget Regan to get the part. Warner Brothers owns DC Comics. DC originally stood for Detective Comics. Disney owns Marvel.

In an era when movies are loud and violent, Wonder Woman has a humanness about it. And unlike other superhero films, there is some genuine humor.

Zack Snyder came up with the story, and Allan Heinberg did the screenplay. Patty Jenkins directed.

Gal Gadot is actually a great Wonder Woman. She has that look! Gal is Jewish, from Israel, and served in the Israeli army. She has a sweet smile.

Wonder Woman was sculpted out of clay by her mother, Hippolyta, and brought to life by Zeus. We are shown her origin.

Connie Nielsen is Hippolyta. Robin Wright is Antiope. Robin was Jenny in Forrest Gump. Antiope trains Diana to fight.

Chris Pine is Steve Trevor. When Trevor's plane goes down off the coast of Themyscira, Diana dives in the water and pulls him to safety. Trevor tells Diana about the war and takes her to London, then to the front. There are the images associated with the war: no man's land and poison gas. We see Kaiser Wilhelm II.

The film utilizes the Lasso of Truth and Bullets and Bracelets. Lynda Carter's invisible plane was scrapped. Diana uses her lasso to make Trevor confess that he is a spy. Germans are the perennial bad guys, Warner Brothers being Jewish.

Diana and Steve Trevor dance in the snow and spend the night together. I assume they have sex.

Mythology and history mix. Of course, all movies are confusing to a degree. Wonder Woman was a little girl, then became a woman in her mid-20s. Will she continue to age? Hippolyta did! Are not the Amazons immortal?

We must realize this is fantasy. Wonder Woman is a fictional character. All stories have inconsistencies.

We think Ludendorff is Ares, the god of war, only to learn that Sir Patrick is Ares. Wonder Woman finally kills Ares, but war does not end war because the desire for war exists in the hearts and minds of men (and women). War gives us purpose.

When Steve Trevor sacrifices his life, it gives Wonder Woman the strength to defeat Ares.

Wonder Woman is the ultimate movie. I thought it would be made in the 90s. It took another generation.

I got the impression that the movie began as World War II was starting. Diana looks at her picture and recalls her experiences in World War I. I believe Warner Brothers planned a sequel from the get-go. Gal Gadot makes a fine Wonder Woman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Agreed.
Gal brought an integral component to the part without getting mired in the (potential) kitsch of the role.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:14 PM
iDrew (Offline)
Official Member

Location: Throwing wishes off the end of world's longest pier
Thanks 441

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post

Gal Gadot is actually a great Wonder Woman. She has that look! Gal is Jewish, from Israel, and served in the Israeli army. She has a sweet smile.
Fail to see what her religion has anything to do with the price of bagels.

xDrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the CLUELESS COLLECTIVE’S
ALL NEW 19 OUT NOW
(min. system requirement: 1 working brain cell)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 333

He should have just said she was from Israel and served in the Israeli army -- her religion would have remained a mystery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Dungeon Master (07-13-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by iDrew View Post
Fail to see what her religion has anything to do with the price of bagels.

xDrew

Yeah, Qatar, what's up wit' dat, yo?
Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM
iDrew (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 441

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Yeah, Qatar, what's up wit' dat, yo?
Way too hot and you can't have a bevvy - so that sucks big time.

xDrew

ALL NEW 19 OUT NOW
Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by iDrew View Post
Way too hot and you can't have a bevvy - so that sucks big time.

xDrew

You mean that Qatar is way too hot and you can't have alcohol there, right?

I was referring to how Wonder Woman is banned there because Gal Godot is ... hey, wait a sec ... is this some of that Brit dry humor we hear of in the States?
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 PM
iDrew (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 441

You mean that Qatar is way too hot and you can't have alcohol there, right?
Yeah. Imagine when all the England fans go over there for the World Cup. That should be entertaining.

I was referring to how Wonder Woman is banned there because Gal Godot is ... hey, wait a sec ... is this some of that Brit dry humor we hear of in the States?
Didn't know about that. Isn't half of Hollywood Jewish or is it just Israelis? What if Isreal qualifies for the World Cup?

The world is mental. Fucking Looney Tunes.

xDrew

ALL NEW 19 OUT NOW

Last edited by iDrew; 07-05-2017 at 03:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to iDrew For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (07-05-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:57 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 684

I'd like to see a film where a community of men frolic half naked in paradise, in a perpetual state of bliss, harmony and peace.

And for some hero from this perfect male community to be transferred to a dystopian world of greed, war and destruction, controlled by the ultimate expression of evil... a female goddess.

Y'know... just for kicks.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
I'd like to see a film where a community of men frolic half naked in paradise, in a perpetual state of bliss, harmony and peace.

And for some hero from this perfect male community to be transferred to a dystopian world of greed, war and destruction, controlled by the ultimate expression of evil... a female goddess.

Y'know... just for kicks.

Isn't England under female rule?

I mean ... it's a start.

Going back to watching Vampire Warriors now.
Chick vamps offing guy vamps, other chick vamps - everybody is Asian - man, is this a great world or what!?

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 07-07-2017 at 11:03 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe