WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Ideas For My Protagonist

Old 06-08-2017, 12:24 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Ideas For My Protagonist

I've finished writing the story for part 2 in the trilogy I am planning for a game. I'll soon be starting the third and final part. In the future, I'll be writing a trilogy of books based on the mod.

Part 3 will feature a completely different protagonist, he will be the great grandson of the protagonist from part 2 seeing as how part 3 will be set many years after part 2.

Here are some traits I have planned for him:

-He is a young man in his early twenties, and yet he is still afraid of the dark. Because of this, he is openly mocked and ridiculed by many.
-His fear of the dark is a result of an incident on Halloween night when he was three years old. He was out trick or treating with his mother, and when they were confronted by a thug who attempted to rob them. His mother ultimately gave her life to save him and he watched from his hiding place while the man murdered her after having his way with her. That was not only the first time he went out trick or treating, it was also his last.
-He had never known his father. His father was locked away in a mental institution for the criminally insane after his father killed a man in a bar room brawl and for telling stories claiming that his grandfather was a great hero in an alternate world.
-He likes to read mystery novels and dreams of becoming a detective.
-Wanting to gain the respect of the community, he becomes a police officer, but his fear of the dark gets the best of him during his first assignment, resulting in several officers being killed in a shootout with the thieves he failed to chase because of said fear. As a result, he is thrown off the force in disgrace.

Here are some ideas for some of his struggles during the story:

-As a result of the scandal surrounding his name, his reputation is destroyed. He loses his few friends and girlfriend who abandon him for the purpose of saving face. A few of his relatives make it clear to him that they no longer want anything to do with him. They include his paternal uncle, one of his cousins who practically encourages him to do the world a favor and end it all, and his maternal aunt who at one point during the story bitterly considers him a disgrace to her sister's memory and claims she should have just let him die.
-He comes into contact with an organization whose members are all people who have hit rock bottom and feel like there is no hope for a better life with them.
-Much of his extended family is slaughtered at a family reunion by a group of people from that organization, led by a vengeful former world war II comrade of his grandfather's. He ends up being suspected for multiple murder.
-He finally gets to meet his father, but at this point his father is dying.
-With nothing to lose, he embarks on a mission of vengeance, which ultimately results in him being transported to another world where he learns that the stories that got his father locked away were true all along. He learns that the organization he came into contact with has invaded this world and that their founder is a powerful wizard who intends to destroy the human race.
-He makes friends with several people including a wizard who is the brother of the organization's founder, a rebellious freespirited princess with whom he falls in love with, and a member of the rebellion against the organization.
-He gets a chance to fulfill his dream of becoming a detective when he uncovers a conspiracy surrounding the royal family.
-He discovers that one of his cousins is actually a member of the organization.
-He unwittingly restores to power a dark wizard who plunges both the alternate world and Earth into eternal darkness who then unleashes nightmarish creatures who thrive on darkness upon humanity. To save both worlds and be a hero, he must somehow overcome his fear of the dark, otherwise humanity is doomed, spending whatever time it has left cursing his name.

These are just ideas of course. What I'm still trying to determine is:

-What exactly happened that fateful Halloween night?
-What was his first assignment as a police officer?
-How does the public treat him as a result of the scandal?
-How does much of his family treat him as a result?
-How will he overcome his fear?

How does these ideas sound for my protagonist so far? If anyone has any suggestions, let me know?

Old 06-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Sounds great.
Keep going.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:22 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

Oh right, I almost forgot. He starts off feeling that he has no purpose with nothing left to live for. But as the story progresses, he slowly through the friendships he develops, the role he plays in the rebellion, and how his actions affect the people around him, gains a renewed purpose and a new reason to live.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by DwayneA View Post
Oh right, I almost forgot. He starts off feeling that he has no purpose with nothing left to live for. But as the story progresses, he slowly through the friendships he develops, the role he plays in the rebellion, and how his actions affect the people around him, gains a renewed purpose and a new reason to live.
And then?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

that's just part of his ultimate character growth. In the end, with help from his friends, lover, and mentor, he saves both worlds and the human race, confronting his greatest fear in the process and defeating the dark wizard himself.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

that's just part of his ultimate character growth. In the end, with help from his friends, lover, and mentor, he saves both worlds and the human race, confronting his greatest fear in the process and defeating the dark wizard himself.

Is this
Tada?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:08 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

so far, it's what I've got planned. I'm asking for your opinion how it all looks so far.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Can we get a sample of the writing?

For me, descriptions of the writing and story are useless. I need the sentences.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

I haven't even started the writing yet. First I need to put together ideas for the characters and the plot to develop them before I can start writing.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

I haven't even started the writing yet. First I need to put together ideas for the characters and the plot to develop them before I can start writing.

Ah... I see. I'm only interested in the actual sentences. Sorry I can't help with the rest.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:57 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Ah... I see. I'm only interested in the actual sentences. Sorry I can't help with the rest.

Screw actual story writing.
I wanna be able to write about writing one like this guy does.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 AM
zenj (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Nice idea
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 AM
Rob56 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Try to make it simple. In this story there are too many things happen. Maybe you could just develop one story (show different aspects, more deeply) without mentioning the other. You can check my sources which helped me a lot with writing. Anyway, there is much going on and it's confusing.

Last edited by Rob56; 07-11-2017 at 04:32 AM..
Old 07-30-2017, 11:07 AM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

I've been thinking of ideas of how his nyctophobia could have gotten the best of him, destroying both his career and his reputation. So far the only idea I've gotten is that the moment occurs during a solar eclipse that hides the sun enough to darken the sky.

If anybody has any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate them because this all I have so far.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues