WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Prophecies vs Fatalism

Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 375
Default Prophecies vs Fatalism

There is a poster, a real one, who recently joined Writersbeat and is having trouble formulating a prophecy, check it out in the Fiction section if you have any ideas.

I was going to lend the person a hand but than realised I was too sidetracked and distracted by the idea of prophecies that I started on a rant on fatalism, and subsequently deleted as it could not be used by the author to improve their prophecy, nor did it relate in any way with their story or issue.

But I have seen cases of "fatalism", for example, in kids who were so pissed with their parents that they wanted to be nothing like them, yet all the choices they made with their lives made them more and more like their parents, even to the case where their own kids hated them just as much.

I do not have any specific q's on this topic or a particular reading list, just write down anything that comes to mind. I can also go upstairs to the echelons of the writing forum to notify the poster that there will be a large, probably 3-4 post philosophical discussion on prophecies and fatalism in the dark, spider-infested basement of The 'Beat. Have at it!

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

There's a prophecy in The Omen which is particularly effective because it's a genuine quote from Revelations and the facts have been crafted to fit very neatly. The danger with just making something up is getting it to sound authentic, especially when you're not au fait with archaic language. It could be a lazy device to introduce tension where there is none.

The great thing about Nostradamus was his vagueness. It's made him a bestseller.

Last edited by flyingtart; 07-27-2017 at 11:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
There's a prophecy in The Omen which is particularly effective because it's a genuine quote from Revelations and the facts have been crafted to fit very neatly. The danger with just making something up is getting it to sound authentic, especially when you're not au fair with archaic language. It could be a lazy device to introduce tension where there is none.

The great thing about Nostradamus was his vagueness. It's made him a bestseller.
That's a good point that vagueness increases the probability that the event will occur.

I thought on this topic more today and was wondering about self-reinforcement, I become more like myself against any wishes to change because my behaviours make me who I am. Like the guy who believes they can stop smoking at any time. See, apparently, nicotine is addictive because it is self-reinforcing, just like MSG, which is chemically similar to a neurotransmitter. Now if we scale this up somewhat and we constantly get a replay of people throughout humanity, the same story retold billions of times.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

It's like that thing that happens in every single fucking movie (or at least the ones that I see), where right before the end, there has to be some tragedy to have people believe the movie is going to have a sad ending, only for everything to turn out alright. Every movie is just the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-27-2017, 10:27 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Here's another way to look at it; data science.

Yep, all data is fed into a machine that then makes predictions on the pre-existing data of what should happen in the immediate future. Business invests in the results and therefore makes a future of pre-existing data.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-29-2017, 11:49 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,024

I have a friend who consults with a psychic for predictions. She's done this for years.

I have told her gently that the predictions aren't really accurate - she allows them to influence her decisions so she directs herself towards their fulfilment.

I drop a newspaper and milk in to an elderly neighbour in the morning - and sometimes stay for a quick cuppa. She snorts and chuckles over her horoscope - a prediction of "a good night for romance" doesn't mean much when you're 85 years old.

I have recollections of my mother having solemn reverence for 'Old Moore's Almanack' years ago. Is it still in existence?

Not really the sort of prophecy you were after Pickle - but I think it's all phooey.

If you have a sound understanding of human nature you can make pretty educated guesses about what the heck happens next.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 07-29-2017 at 11:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 05:48 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 334

There was a guy here on WB for a while who claimed he was like a modern-day Nostradamus, only he didn't just predict the future, he said he was actually a time traveler and he could go into the future and see things.

There was a little stuff out there on the internet about him -- he called himself Zogar or something...
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 02:36 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I have a friend who consults with a psychic for predictions. She's done this for years.

I have told her gently that the predictions aren't really accurate - she allows them to influence her decisions so she directs herself towards their fulfilment.

I drop a newspaper and milk in to an elderly neighbour in the morning - and sometimes stay for a quick cuppa. She snorts and chuckles over her horoscope - a prediction of "a good night for romance" doesn't mean much when you're 85 years old.

I have recollections of my mother having solemn reverence for 'Old Moore's Almanack' years ago. Is it still in existence?

Not really the sort of prophecy you were after Pickle - but I think it's all phooey.

If you have a sound understanding of human nature you can make pretty educated guesses about what the heck happens next.
Yeah I think when we are discussing the prophecies of yore based on aligning crystals and sacrificing goats, then yeah it's pretty weird. But when when get into the mystic realms of acturial studies, risk and big data - at a population level as per your last sentence
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-30-2017, 02:37 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
There was a guy here on WB for a while who claimed he was like a modern-day Nostradamus, only he didn't just predict the future, he said he was actually a time traveler and he could go into the future and see things.

There was a little stuff out there on the internet about him -- he called himself Zogar or something...
Awesome, would I be still able to check out their posts?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-30-2017, 03:44 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 828

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Awesome, would I be still able to check out their posts?

Googled Zohar and got this:

Don't think that's him.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 03:45 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 828

Zogar, not Zohar
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 334

Heh. I was way off -- it's Sollog.

His user name was Adoni.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,024

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Googled Zohar and got this:

Don't think that's him.

I so want it to be him.
brianpatrick (07-30-2017), PickleBottom (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

I've never met a time traveller before, at least in the sense it is usually conveyed.

Time travelling is an interesting topic though, a person could state that time is related to entropy, that is, the increase of entropy is time, and therefore on a small time and space scale in statistical mechanics entropy can decrease and therefore the reversal of time is probable. But this knowledge does not help us much.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-30-2017, 09:46 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I so want it to be him.
Him? Surely that's Tina Turner?
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 06:09 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,024

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Him? Surely that's Tina Turner?
You're so right.

Should have known the minute I saw those legs...
flyingtart (07-31-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table