WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Authors diagnosed with schizophrenia?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Lewdog (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 68

I'm Bi-polar with treatment resistant depression. I was told it is genetic and it is magnified based on a person's IQ.

What sucks is when something bad happens. What sucks worse is when you have an IQ that you analyze the hell out of what happened, what could have been done, what is going to happen, what you are going to wear tomorrow, what's the next M&M's color, and who is plotting to steal your tennis shoes, all while dropping a deuce. Since I'm depressed I'm left standing in my bathroom for 30 minutes morning my loss as the tank of the toilet bowl fills back up with water.

It sucks, especially when you are out of medicine, it's the weekend, and I'm on a 36 hour bender so far. Cheerio chaps!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67
Icon4 Creativity and Mental Health

Here is an excerpt from an article published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research:

http://depressiontribe.e-healthsourc...news&id=669740

Specifically related to writers:
They also found that schizophrenia, in particular, as well as depression, anxiety disorders and substance abuse were more common among writers. Authors were also 50 percent more likely to commit suicide than people in the general population.
I myself have Major Depressive Disorder (known also as Clinical Depression ... the kind of depression that will have me on SSRI's for the rest of my life). I also might have Schizoid Antisocial Disorder.

Stephen King had substance abuse, most likely some other issues as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Lewdog (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 68

Originally Posted by Webgoji View Post
Here is an excerpt from an article published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research:

http://depressiontribe.e-healthsourc...news&id=669740

Specifically related to writers:
I myself have Major Depressive Disorder (known also as Clinical Depression ... the kind of depression that will have me on SSRI's for the rest of my life). I also might have Schizoid Antisocial Disorder.

Stephen King had substance abuse, most likely some other issues as well.
Whatever you do...don't let them put you in Lithium. Lithium will ruin your ability to have free thinking and be creative. Not only did it do that to me, it was also what made me shake like I had Parkinson's disease. In fact they put me on Parkinson's disease medication just to help the side effects. Kind of messed up isn't it? I'm also om Neurotin, Lowpressor, for tachocardia, blood pressure, and it is supposed to help with some of the side effects of medicines I take. I take Cymbalta which helps with depression and muscle skeletal pain and Fibromyalgia. For sleep I take Elavil. That doesn't even take into account my back medicine and vitamins. I'm like a junkie. It's sad and I am only 36. That would be a lot of pills for a 76 year old.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67
Icon14 Hang in there Lewdog!

Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
Lithium will ruin your ability to have free thinking and be creative. Not only did it do that to me, it was also what made me shake like I had Parkinson's disease.
Unfortunately, any SSRI I take stifles my ability to write, but I need them to stay functional in society. I have to write in tiny chunks because I can't focus on anything for very long. I used to be able to burn up 3,000+ words per day and work 10+ hours per day. The creativity is there, but now I can barely write a paragraph without losing track of what I'm doing. I also was at the 4th Mental Abiding (a meditation term) and could meditate for hours on end. Now I'm back down to the 2nd Mental Abiding because I can't stay focused on my object for even 5 minutes.

And I hear you about the shakes. The doctors say its just a symptom of my depression. Personally I'm hoping the depression isn't a symptom of something worse ... like Parkinson's ...
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Lewdog (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 68

Originally Posted by Webgoji View Post
Unfortunately, any SSRI I take stifles my ability to write, but I need them to stay functional in society. I have to write in tiny chunks because I can't focus on anything for very long. I used to be able to burn up 3,000+ words per day and work 10+ hours per day. The creativity is there, but now I can barely write a paragraph without losing track of what I'm doing. I also was at the 4th Mental Abiding (a meditation term) and could meditate for hours on end. Now I'm back down to the 2nd Mental Abiding because I can't stay focused on my object for even 5 minutes.

And I hear you about the shakes. The doctors say its just a symptom of my depression. Personally I'm hoping the depression isn't a symptom of something worse ... like Parkinson's ...
Well my tremors were REALLY bad. My regular doctor had me get up on the examination table my last visit so she could look at my back, when I went to step down she had me hold on to her arm and I still almost fell down and took her with me. She did a reflex test on my knees and said I had hyperreflexia. It means I have some kind of damage to my central nervous system. I about kicked her in the face, no kidding. Originally they put me on Cogentin for my tremors and that caused me to have drug induced Lupus. I have had a lot of bad luck lately. Eventually after working with my doctor (Actually me studying on the internet and telling her what to give me) I found a generic form of a drug called Artane. Artane is no longer produced in the U.S. but the generic form is. The best thing to do is try different drugs to find what works best for you.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,726

("...Lewdog, each post you do is an ace to read, where it seems that you have a writing style and flare that many of us would envy now, moreover, if you would just write something in your posts for your readers to see on this forum, your affliction would be quite irrelevant because these posts are better short and sweet, rather like some snapshot then, or like a still life painting perhaps, just a studied post by someone who writes as well as you do, now that would be something..." smiled the goblin knowing how the average person too had less and less time to read at length anyway, so forum readership was up and coming, and not something to be scoffed at now, and certainly one could become well known by one's posts much like they famous posters the goblin remembers from the bbs age)

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-13-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Edward G (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11
Default Don't Romanticize the Mentally Ill

I would like to address this, because I have a great deal of experience working professionally with schizophrenic patients. I know there is this conception that psychotic individuals are more creative, but I don’t think that’s true. Psychosis over time is degenerative until an individual can no longer even take care of themselves. With each psychotic break, there is usually hospitalization and diminishment.

One shouldn’t confuse being creative with simply being different. Schizophrenics can certainly be bizarre in their thinking and actions, but that’s not the same thing as being creative which requires clear thinking and a gifted intelligence. I have seen many pictures drawn by patients and read many letters and poems, and they typically are nothing more than confused ramblings or disjointed (usually horrific) images. Some schizophrenic people can draw and write, but then a whole lot more mentally healthy people can draw and write, too.

Of course, when a person is in the throes of psychosis, they will believe everything they do is of great significance and super-important, but to a rational person, it’s usually just manifested in rambling flights of ideas or word salads, and usually pressured and manic.

Real creativity is the peak of mental health, not the trough. It’s manifested most in clear-thinking, highly intelligent people, not in psychotic people with diminished mental capacity who require large doses of anti-psychotics to control their behavior, their delusions, paranoia, mania, and hallucinations.

Most chronic schizophrenic persons will end their life in jail, an institution, a nursing home, or by suicide. They aren’t going to be hailed as great except in their own delusions. Some schizophrenic persons do better than others. They take their medications, they don’t want to be psychotic, and they have somewhat more social personalities to begin with. These people, when they are lucid, may find they can tap into the bizarre world of delusion and derangement and find something that can be transformed into a new way of looking at things. But remember, a whole lot more mentally healthy people do that, too.

Wish for mental health and intelligence—work at both through honest self-reflection and education. Don’t romanticize the mentally ill.

That’s my opinion on the matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward G For This Useful Post:
eripiomundus (08-23-2016)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Lewdog (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 68

Let me say, that I had a friend that I took in because he had no place to go for awhile. He had never worked a day in his life because he was diagnosed as a schizophrenic at a very early age. One day he would seem like a good guy like any other guy you would meet on the street, then the very next second he would be telling a story about how an archangel showed up at the end of his bed and told him it was his duty to go to as many churches as he could and tell his story of 'loving' animals. He once told a story about he was so mad he went out into the woods and dog a hole in the ground and proceed to pull down his pants and have sex with that hole so he could say he "f**ked the Earth," seriously. I got write a book about the things I witnessed but I continued to try to help the guy because I knew he was in a bad situation and I tried as hard as I could to understand what he was going through. I had my own problems and I wanted to try to be sympathetic to what he was dealing with. Eventually he moved on, and what I gained out of was an experience I will have for a lifetime.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Lewdog (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 68

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...Lewdog, each post you do is an ace to read, where it seems that you have a writing style and flare that many of us would envy now, moreover, if you would just write something in your posts for your readers to see on this forum, your affliction would be quite irrelevant because these posts are better short and sweet, rather like some snapshot then, or like a still life painting perhaps, just a studied post by someone who writes as well as you do, now that would be something..." smiled the goblin knowing how the average person too had less and less time to read at length anyway, so forum readership was up and coming, and not something to be scoffed at now, and certainly one could become well known by one's posts much like they famous posters the goblin remembers from the bbs age)
Thank you so much. I don't know what to say, I feel like a brand new proud pappa. If I would equate my style to anyone, it would be Kurt Vonnegutt. I loved reading his books because he could talk about something as boring as paint dry, but somehow with his satirical style and ability to take such a mundane thing and pull you into it, so that by the time it's over he is laughing at you for how much attention you have given to the subject. One thing I do like to do, is to put some kind of "easter egg" into the things I say. I think it helps to keep the reader interested, I mean how many people like to leave loose ends?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Essam Eldin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

Well, I've got to say that people has to change their ways and view points about mental illnesses. it's a method to escape reality in the first place and we have to think a little... is reality that kind of enemy that has to be escaped, so far society has norms and plans for conformity and obedience as politicians try to make us break away from reality or living the worst of it, and think yourself, is questions of Time and Space and being of existence that bad? Well, take a look at the world we live in, they want us to live inside for walls either this walls is that of the prison and you have to lose your sanity and commit a crime, or really lose your sanity and become institutionalized, and that's the four walls of the asylum, or psychiatric hospital or mental institution or mad house see... I can't put the right word because it has so many categories. nonetheless I have to say that mental illness is a rational and sentimental reaction to the world of decay that we live in which has politics that is more sick than any mental illness and the concept of time which stands in your way no matter what you do, and the absurd state of existence, Well... I have researched so far about mental illnesses or psychological disorders, see! I'm lost within the several categories which we deal with every second that we live. specifically Schizophrenia, which in simple words a new meaning of life in this absurd state of existence, they say that schizophrenics are smarter than ordinary people, others say that they're naive, while there are researches that indicates that schizophrenics have the same factors of creativity like the creative ones unlike the usual people, while other researches say that they're simply stupid, and some other researches say that they might be creative but not smart, really? how could creativity not indicates a genius? anyways those people have their own norms which feeds society with lies and we are born in this mad society. I say that some people with schizophrenia are geniuses others are not. same goes for ordinary people. but schizophrenia is more of an experience than any thing else, and it's a profound experience. and diseases like schizophrenia, epilepsy, multiple personality disorder, manic depression, autism, and social isolation in general all of them has artistic and inspirational values and that gives a space to existential suffering and the seeking for a meaning of life, and the quest for salvation and the meaning of all this, and I believe that you can never see heaven before you see hell first and life is a living hell you know... in the end I have to say that we writers have passions, fears, goals, sickness, suffering, melancholy, overreacting imagination, and a little bit of love and so much hate, schizophrenia and epilepsy are strongly related. they both hold a condition called "Hypergraphia" the obsessive and unavoidable need to write, some kind of a writing mania, which opposite to the writer's block which is the inability to write which happens for writers from time to time, and I have to say that "Hypergraphia" is not a piece of cake. it's all your passions and fears and madness as a writer which overflows, specially when you lose everything, then you'll come to figure out everything, but hey! I'm just overreacting. Oh! by the way I'm writing a short story may be a novel but still writing it still I don't what would fit it the most. Well, it's about a musician with schizophrenia, a writer with epilepsy and a painter with multiple personality disorder. Thanks.

In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia. "George Orwell", If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. "Thomas Szas". check some quotes about schizophrenia. google it!

I don't know what you people think but I have started writing when reality became deliberately unbearable, and as a writer, I wonder what's going on?

more than anything, the true writer has to be driven by the power of nonsense, I mean... haven't you heard of Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Kafka, Kirkegaard, Sartre, Camus, Orwell, Lewis Carroll. they adore the nonsense, which has some sense in it, right? or wrong? take your time thinking.

Sickness is the pure manifestation of reality, also there is some pleasure in pain, now pain... and live a harsh life, only then you would know the truth.

My fellow writers... respect your suffering! schizophrenic or not, we all suffer.

getting all maniac about writing would make you write some misspelled or inappropriate words, so... forget yourself a little. AND WRITE THE WORST THAT YOU'VE GOT!

Our world is sick in a way that doesn't accept a sick man. The world is a strange and scary place. Let the horrors of infernal reality flow through your soul!

Last edited by Loz; 05-27-2013 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: To merge a series of posts
Old 05-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Essam Eldin View Post
Let the horrors of infernal reality flow through your soul!

Or, maybe, just grow up and get on with it.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM
macraven (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I have published two books of short stories and a book of poetry. "Tales from the mind of a schizophrenic" and "A Diverse Gathering" and "A Calling of Verse".I dont know if its what you are looking for but by all means explore. My name is Vincent Macraven, Paranoid Schizphrenic for over twenty years and counting.It's been a hell of a ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to macraven For This Useful Post:
WCSowder (10-10-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM
harvestxthexglo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 7

very pleased to see this thread. I agree completely about creativity with mental illness. Where I work I come across many mentally ill people and I have noticed that where the average person would recognize their babble as simple 'crazy nonsense' many of these people talk about the same things and if you actually listen to what they are saying they talk about some very interesting things. I have a personal theory on mental illness being associated with a higher plane of consciousness on this dimension.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Jehovah Pom (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default schizophrenic author

I am a schizophrenic author. I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. I wrote a book called, "How One Gains a Mental illness". It is my real experience, where I thought I was God.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:32 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default Insanity is valuable for writers, artists... all creative people.

Howdy everyone.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to be a serious writer make a copy of the following and put it on the wall behind your computer.

"Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently.
They're not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them,
disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
Because they change things.
They invent. They imagine.
They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire.
They push the human race forward.
Maybe they have to be crazy.

How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art?
Or sit in silence and hear a song thatís never been written?
Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?
While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do..."

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:26 AM
madisheridan (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Apart from Jack Kerouac, were there any authors from the Beat Generation that were diagnosed?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Dosto7 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

This was interesting.
I've looked before for authors with schizophrenia but wasn't able to find any.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 105

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, but I'm not schizophrenic. It was just a conspiracy by the government meant to discredit all the amazing magical abilities I possess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eripiomundus For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (08-11-2017), Myers (08-11-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe