WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

The Novel Exchange - Beta Readers connect here!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481
Icon3 The Novel Exchange - Beta Readers connect here!

So, you've finished your novel, and you're looking for more comprehensive feedback than you can get by posting excerpts here. What to do? Maybe your friends and family are willing to read--and that's great--but you're also looking for another writer's feedback.

Then this is the thread for you! If you are looking for a beta reader for your novel, and if you're willing to be a beta reader as well (fair is fair!), post here giving the details. Tell us your...

book title,

length,
genre (can be a blurb),
what kind of feedback you'd like, and
what you're willing to do/read.

The object of this thread is to connect beta readers with writers and facilitate exchanges of whole books. The details of each exchange can be worked out in PMs, since they will vary depending on the people.

Note: This is not a place for posting whole novels or chapters. Once you connect with someone else, the two of you can swap books and give feedback privately. As always, be safe and smart when making contacts over the internet.

If you have a good experience, feel free to tell us how it worked out!

Last edited by HoiLei; 08-16-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: RaineDrop makes a good point; I added it in. :)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HoiLei For This Useful Post:
Escriber* (07-19-2014), LadyDomino (01-16-2011), Smithy (12-28-2010), urntme (08-14-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 PM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

Can I add that it should go without saying that everyone must be safe and smart about who they send their work to. Make sure it's a reputable member and not just anyone. But I think this is a great idea =)
<<
The Following User Says Thank You to RaineDrop For This Useful Post:
ceilidh (11-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 PM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

My sincerest of thanks for the Mods who made this happen. Thank you. This will help a lot of people, I think.

Also, as a side note, could I also add that people could talk about the reviews they received from their reviewers? That way, we'll have an idea of who's doing what, how well.

Anyway, I'm up for it, and I'll be the first one to have a go.

I have an action adventure novel, entitled Karma & Regret. The following is a synopsis of it:

Karma & Regret is a 63,000 word Young Adult / Mult-cultural / Action - Adventure novel. It is a dark themed, boy's novel, and is targeted at teens to twenty year olds.

Karma & Regret is what one gets when they mix 1970's style martial arts action, gritty gun fighting, dark themes, a handful of quirky situations, and India. It is a tapestry novel that tells the tale of six separate lives which eventually merge together for the finale. The world of Karma and Regret revolves around prostitutes, slave traders, kidnappers and all the other shady business providers who work for Mumbai's underworld. For the most part the varied protagonists - whose ages range from 15 to 60 - are simply running for their lives - whilst in search of love, revenge, glory, happiness and family - until fate eventually brings them together for an explosive finale.

I also have a humor fantasy novel, entitled: The Lost stories chronicles, Fantasy World. The blurb of that, is below:

A group of twelve strange men kidnap Sarah's fiance on their wedding day, right before her eyes. As if the decision of the elder of the village to forget the whole thing wasn't bad enough, Sarah also suddenly discovers that she once had an older brother.

Out of desperation, she steps out of the village with the aid of Sasame, a paladin, in search of her fiance. But her journey leads her right into the middle of a a magical world war that will change the fate of humanity forever.

Will she be able to save her family, and friends, and furthermore, will she be able to survive the dreaded ants?

Fantasy World is essentially a Pratchett-esque story, written in the style of Douglas Adam's Hitchikers Guide to the galaxy. It has a heavy emphasis on humor and a non-existent emphasis on reality. It is a given that the good will defeat the bad in the end, but the real question is: Will any of the main characters survive the story with their sanity still intact.

Fantasy World is a 93,000 word YA humor / fantasy novel.

--------------

On what I'm willing to review: Anything that doesn't try to take itself faar too seriously like historical fiction, apocalyptic future fiction or other serious stuff like that, nor do I like chick lit. I have a strong aversion to romance stories, unless they have dollops of humor in them.

Anything else in between, I'm cool with.

So let me know.

Last edited by urntme; 08-14-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 155

Great to see this section appear.

I have written a psychological thriller entitled The Wolf - 159,000 words. Very happy to critique your novel(s) in exchange for your critique of mine. Send me a PM if interested. I'm looking for honest feedback on the story as a whole, as well as pinpointing any problems in the narrative.

The Wolf is an adult-oriented mystery story with plenty of drama, but a lot of thinking, too. The story is also a bit unusual.

I'm willing to read practically anything, but no vampires or dragons please, and I prefer adult-oriented fiction.

Thanks,
Owen

Last edited by Owen; 08-18-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Old 08-16-2010, 01:27 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon6

Originally Posted by Owen View Post
Great to see this section appear.

I have written a psychological thriller entitled The Wolf - approx 200k words (maybe shorter once I finish my current edit). Very happy to critique your novel(s) in exchange for your critique of mine. Send me a PM if interested. I'm looking for honest feedback on the story as a whole, as well as pinpointing any problems in the narrative.

The Wolf is an adult-oriented mystery story with plenty of drama, but a lot of thinking, too. The story is also a bit unusual.

I'm willing to read practically anything, but no vampires or dragons please, and I prefer adult-oriented to young-adult fiction.

Thanks,
Owen
If that's what you were going to send me, where is it?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 155

Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
If that's what you were going to send me, where is it?
It's 85% through its edit. It's undergoing major surgery, but is through the worst of it.
I'm going as fast as I can, I promise!

Update: It's on it's way to you right now! :-)

Last edited by Owen; 08-18-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Old 09-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 155

Well, thank you to IvCabbie for the exchange, which was very productive.

Anyone else want to exchange a novel with me? I'll read yours if you read mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Owen For This Useful Post:
longknife (09-05-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by Owen View Post
Well, thank you to IvCabbie for the exchange, which was very productive.

Anyone else want to exchange a novel with me? I'll read yours if you read mine.
And, if you like thumb-biting suspense, you'll love this.
I swear that I felt dumb to learn the final outcome. How didn't I see it earlier?

Last edited by longknife; 09-05-2010 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: can't spell
The Following User Says Thank You to longknife For This Useful Post:
Owen (09-06-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Ooo, I'm so tempted to try this. . . .

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

I'm actually a little tempted, too, to be honest.

if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 09-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Does it have to be complete novels, or could it be a good-sized chunk of one? Say . . . thirteen chapters of a projected seventeen-eighteen chapter novel? With one novel in particular, I'm pretty darned happy with how the chapters themselves came out. I'd want to know how well the storyline is forming (i.e. stupidly or pretty good). Anyone up for a partial, if we can do that?

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 09-05-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Old 09-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

How long is your story, Devon? What's it about?

if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Might as well put it up. I shouldn't be doing this, since I'm always so busy, but I have to try this at least once. Here it is:

Title: It Happened on Tarantula Island

Length: Unfinished - Currently 30,000 words (thirteen complete chapters)

Genre: Humorous middle grade novel - A loopy scientist, five bungling pirates, an ornery chicken, two wooly-mammoth size tarantulas, and a boy all converge on a small island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Feedback: Basically I want to know how the storyline is developing, if it's developing at all. If connections are made. If the humor is . . . well, funny.

What I'm willing to do/read: Full or partial mss of the same length or so (novella size up to around 45,000 words). Will give whatever type of feedback is needed; detailed or general. I'll be a bit slow in giving feedback (like I said, I'm always so busy), but if anyone's willing to wait. . . . I'll also read whatever genre is tossed my way.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 155

Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
And, if you like thumb-biting suspense, you'll love this.
I swear that I felt dumb to learn the final outcome. How didn't I see it earlier?

Cheers ivcabbie. I'm glad it wasn't too predictable.

If anyone likes historical fiction they should get in touch with ivcabbie, a master of the genre....
longknife (09-08-2010)
Old 09-08-2010, 01:14 AM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

Oooh, ooh, me too. Me too. Don't leave me out of this. I'm really looking for a fellow YA author to exchange novels with. Hopefully someone's out there. (Keeping my fingers crossed.)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 155

May I just say that I enjoyed recently critiquing two of urntme's novels, and I think anyone interested in young-adult fiction and/or fantasy comedy, should consider asking him for an exchange. (He also gave an extremely useful critique for my novel).
urntme (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

Thanks for that Owen, and can I just add that Owen's novel's awesome and anyone who reads it will find it really fascinating. He takes great care in writing and editing his novel over and over again. I personally think that he's sure to get his novel published soon enough when he starts querying again.

He also takes equally great care in reading and critiquing another's novel as well.

Cheers.
longknife (09-14-2010), Owen (09-17-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon6

Well, I just finished the second novel in my trilogy about Father Junipero Serra. Owen did a fantastic job of reviewing and critiquing my first but it was not his genre.
So, I'd be glad to review someone's novel if they care to do the same with THE MISSION TRAIL. It is the story of Father Serra's effort to construct missions in California in spite of some hostile natives and even more hostile Spanish officials. It spans the time from 1769 to his death in 1784.

[The third will cover the time from Serra's death until the arrival of the Americans]

PM me if you're interested,
The Following User Says Thank You to longknife For This Useful Post:
Owen (09-17-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM
rosiewriter (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 11

I'm only about a third of the way through my novel, but I'd like to offer my services to be a beta reader for someone in the hopes that further down the track when my novel is done someone will do the same for me.

I do not like sci-fi or fantasy, but will happily read anything else.

PM me if you want me to read your book!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 155

Hi rosie, post on here when you've finished your novel, I'm sure there'll be volunteers for a swap...
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 AM
! Andy

I've ran out of books to read & Amazon is taking its time. If anyone wants another reader, I'll bite. Don't have a novel to trade, if anyone is worrying about me stealing their little baby and eating it, but I guess I could swap for some shorts.

--Andy
Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Casper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 98

I'm not going to make you read it, but the thought of your name on the front of my novel does make me smile!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

I have a fantasy novella I'm working on, though it's still a WIP. I'm looking for someone to swap with me. I'll read any genre (except erotica or gushy romance, just not my thing). Here's the information:

book title - Snowmen
length - WIP
genre - Fantasy
what kind of feedback you'd like - Any and all
what you're willing to do/read - Anything except erotica and gushy romance

I'm not going to say yes to the first person that volunteers. If you'd like to swap with me, please have a passion for both writing and reading. I want a partner serious about helping. I'll probably ask for an excerpt of your work, or you can point me to a story you've posted here on WB. And I'll do the same.

Thanks. Any takers?

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 155

Reddy - you say its WIP but does that mean its been completed but not as final draft, or does it mean you still have some chapters left to write? Can you describe more fully how complete it is? I wouldn't want to read a story which stops before the end.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

Right, my story isn't finished. I've written the Prologue and Chapter One is a few paragraphs from being finished. But no, it's not entirely finished. I have an outline and I know what I want done, though.

EDIT: And my plan was to swap chapters with whoever wanted to be my partner, and that process would continue until the story was finished. I'm also a fast writer, so keep that in mind. It doesn't take me long to write chapters, so it's not as if you'd been waiting weeks for something.

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Titania (Offline)
Faerie Queen
Loyal Member

Thanks 38

I think it's time to resurrect this...

A confession: my novel is not complete. However, I'd really love to have someone give what I have so far a read-through and comment on how the plot is developing.

book title - The Aether Princess

length - what I would send would be about 37,000 words

genre - young adult steampunk fantasy. The teaser I usually give is "A peppy young mechanic with a mysterious family secret, a forgetful magus with a thirst for knowledge, and an exiled ex-soldier walk onto an airship..." It has some girly / PG-type romance, and a mystery-based storyline (intrigue, sabotage, gun chases and poison). An excerpt from the first chapter is available here at my blog.

what kind of feedback you'd like - anything, but especially plotline and pacing. I want complete honesty and ruthlessness if need be.

what you're willing to do/read - I would probably be able to give better feedback to another speculative fiction book, especially fantasy. It would be nice if the person also had a WIP, or something relatively short, and I'd love for it to be the start of an ongoing relationship, where I could continue trading with the person as I went on with the novel (assuming things went well).

- my new writing blog! Updated every morning. P.S. I have cookies.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM
sheloveswords (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

book title, Son of Adam
length, 70,000
genre (can be a blurb), Literary/Com Fiction. Muslim convert deals with gay dad issues, moves to morocco and has more issues. Son of Muslim convert (no relation to previously mentioned Muslim convert) loves islam and is the perfect muslim until he figures out he is gay. Tragedy strikes. People die. People get beat up. People marry people they don't want to marry. People eat strange things. Oh yeah and of course there's a neighborhood witch.
what kind of feedback you'd like, and Am I boring you? Do ya undastand what I'm talkin about?
what you're willing to do/read. I'm willing to read anything. For my own fiction choices I go for lit fic, historical stuff, epic romance, thriller, or crime novels. Also love to read narrative non fiction.

Last edited by sheloveswords; 12-10-2010 at 12:47 AM..
Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 217

I'm too lazy - I just want to read people's without critiquing
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Titania (Offline)
Faerie Queen
Loyal Member

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by Dragon King View Post
I'm too lazy - I just want to read people's without critiquing
Define "without critiquing". I'm not necessarily looking for in-depth / line-by-line grammar or style stuff, but if you want to read mine and then write me up a few paragraphs (or however much you want) of "I liked this scene, this character was boring / not developed enough, you should expand this part because it goes too fast, this is all terrible and uninteresting and I want my time back, etc." I'd totally be okay with that. Especially if I don't have to do anything in return.

- my new writing blog! Updated every morning. P.S. I have cookies.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 217

That... sounds like a plan actually. I'd be more than happy to give general impressions about characters, plots etc. And don't worry, I don't have anything to give in return

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues