WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Western Culture, and specifically "American" Culture

Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 354

Oh -- and Mo, remember that thread of yours about how all the inventions and worthwhile things came from European culture?

Well, I came across something very similar on Stormfront or one of the white nationalist sites that have since been taken down. I was going to post a link -- but you're just going to have to take my word for it.

Maybe you need to think a bit more about the ideological company you keep -- and not blame the people who bring it to your attention.

Last edited by Myers; 09-04-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Old 09-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Two cities where I've spent a good deal of time that are multi-cultural -- Toronto and Vancouver.

How does that happen?

Well, for the most part, the economies are good, people have jobs and the people are mostly well educated.

That tells me where the problems lie here -- aside from the people who say it can't work...

Last edited by Myers; 09-04-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Old 09-04-2017, 06:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Two cities where I've spent a good deal of time that are multi-cultural -- Toronto and Vancouver.

How does that happen?

Well, for the most part, the economies are good, people have jobs and the people are mostly well educated.

That tells me where the problems lie here -- aside from the people who say it can't work...

This will be a moderated thread. Discussion will be kept on topic, snark and sarcasm will be verboten. Staff gets to decide what is snark, sarcasm, etc. and reserves the right to cleanse threads of any such pollutants. Name calling will be discouraged.

Last edited by Mohican; 09-08-2017 at 12:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

This will be a moderated thread. Discussion will be kept on topic, snark and sarcasm will be verboten. Staff gets to decide what is snark, sarcasm, etc. and reserves the right to cleanse threads of any such pollutants. Name calling will be discouraged.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:28 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847
Default Western Culture, and specifically "American" Culture

Myers (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:51 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Last edited by Mohican; 09-08-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I don't think you're a racist Mo. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're not. But what you espouse is a longing for the past that is not at all going to happen. You tie the good old days to 'culture' and seem to believe that a strong 'culture' will fix a country or state or whatever. Or maybe that it was great culture back when blah, blah, blah.

Since the modern proliferation of the internet, people have been finding out that almost all modern cultures are comprised of essentially the same people. People who want the same things from life that we do here in the states. People with different religions and traditions, but that who, nonetheless, just want a safe place to raise their families, some kind of way to make a living, and security that someone won't come bomb them.

At the grass-roots level, there is no big culture war. Governments and religions may coerce enough extremists or irrational people to do their bidding but the vast majority of humans are the same. And as connectivity rises, this becomes more and more evident.
Do I long for a past that won't happen? Perhaps.

What I do see is a monstrosity that will be hard to change, especially in the direction I thing change should go, by voting in the right people.

So then you think of other ways to change what's around me. I could take a Benedict Option, which I wont, or I can strive for what I think is best.

Discussion of national level politics for me is reflexive.

So then I ask myself - how do I improve what's around me. The answer is to me is a drift away from politics.....And asking what I can do to improve the culture around me.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Ha ha ha.
Staff gets to decide what is snark, sarcasm, etc. and reserves the right to cleanse threads of any such pollutants.

Last edited by Mohican; 09-09-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Last edited by Mohican; 09-09-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Last edited by Mohican; 09-09-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 07:00 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Have you noticed Mo, that nobody has responded to any of your political posts with anything close to agreement? What keeps you going with this?
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Last edited by Mohican; 09-09-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847
Default Western Culture, and specifically "American" Culture

Until Mo can spell American culture without the derogatory, 'Murrican', I'll keep subverting his efforts.

I can appreciate a good conversation, but when it starts with subvertive slights in the OP, how can a reasonable person take it seriously?
Myers (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Plenty of snark and derision in Mo's posts.

You could wear your fingers to the bone deleting them all.

Must be nice to designate YOUR OWN thread "snark and sarcasm" free -- and have the advantage of deleting anything you don't like.

And none of it is mean spirited that I can see -- just some mild busting of chops.

LAME.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

And Mo, if you're going to be this sensitive -- I won't bother commenting on your threads.

And you need all the participants you can get...

Last edited by Myers; 09-08-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Old 09-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
How much LGBTQEIEIO would I include? It is nothing I would portray in a positive light, so it would be a question of how depraved, silly, or silly and depraved I wanted to portray a bad guy/gal as.
Do you really think you could get away with a comment like this as a MODERATOR on any other writing site with more than a handful of members and more than one active person on staff?

Gosh -- NO snark or derision here...

What a joke.

Last edited by Myers; 09-08-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Old 09-08-2017, 08:21 PM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 110

The Culture became more of a mono culture after the Civil War. I'd say that from WWI to say the 1990s we were mainly a monoculture.

At the time of settling? No. The New England Puritans, the Quakers, and the Southern "Cavalier" class were the "Scots Irish" all had different cultures. The two that were closest in culture and often geography were the Cavaliers and the Scots-Irish .
I understand what you're getting at when you say monoculture, but technically any culture is a monoculture. As soon as you deploy the word culture you're automatically including everything within the specified region as a culture, making the term "monoculture" pretty much redundant. If you speak about American culture you are including all the multicultural facets within the one culture - you choose the level at which you apply the term culture, and everything included within that level is part of that culture.

I think there would be very few nation's, perhaps with the exception of tiny one-city nation's like Vatican City, that have a homogenous culture. Even a one-city country like Singapore has a heterogenous culture. It is the sum of Singapore's different people's attitudes, customs and traditions that we call its culture. If you want to discuss a distinct culture within Singapore you have to specify it - the culture that persists within the Indian enclave, for instance.

But either way - whether you specify Singapore's culture as a whole, or the Indian facet of Singapore's culture, both are monocultures because in each case you've chosen to group people together under a single term - "culture".
Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Have you noticed Mo, that nobody has responded to any of your political posts with anything close to agreement? What keeps you going with this?
My expectation for people in this forum to agree with me is pretty low.

You continue to have this expectation to change me? Why do you continue?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by myers View Post
and mo, if you're going to be this sensitive -- i won't bother commenting on your threads.

And you need all the participants you can get...
ok

Just curious - when I posted that, did you expect differently? Or if I post future threads with that disclaimer will you still feel the need to validate yourself by posting snark, insults, inferences, etc?

Last edited by Mohican; 09-09-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
I understand what you're getting at when you say monoculture, but technically any culture is a monoculture. As soon as you deploy the word culture you're automatically including everything within the specified region as a culture, making the term "monoculture" pretty much redundant. If you speak about American culture you are including all the multicultural facets within the one culture - you choose the level at which you apply the term culture, and everything included within that level is part of that culture.

I think there would be very few nation's, perhaps with the exception of tiny one-city nation's like Vatican City, that have a homogenous culture. Even a one-city country like Singapore has a heterogenous culture. It is the sum of Singapore's different people's attitudes, customs and traditions that we call its culture. If you want to discuss a distinct culture within Singapore you have to specify it - the culture that persists within the Indian enclave, for instance.

But either way - whether you specify Singapore's culture as a whole, or the Indian facet of Singapore's culture, both are monocultures because in each case you've chosen to group people together under a single term - "culture".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoculture

The term monoculture is frequently applied for other uses to describe any group dominated by a single variety, e.g. social monoculturalism, or in the field of musicology to describe the dominance of the American and British music-industries in Western pop music, or in the field of computer science to describe a group of computers all running identical software.
Eh, we will have to view monocultures differently. Especially then, and to a degree now the New England States and the southeastern states had differing cultures.

Until the run up to WWII Ohio had some very insular communities, particularly German communities that stayed unique. My wife was in the first generation to marry outside the Germanic community.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Do you really think you could get away with a comment like this as a MODERATOR on any other writing site with more than a handful of members and more than one active person on staff?

Gosh -- NO snark or derision here...

What a joke.
Yes. But I'm interested in hearing about what other writing sites permit and what it takes to get booted from them.

that comment wasn't snark.
Snark - an attitude or expression of mocking irreverence and sarcasm
The way you keep dragging it back and forth, and picking at it like some secular pharisee then it must have really rustled your jimmies.

It would probably have been best to not reply to that, and it might not have been the most appropriate response to that question. Perhaps that day I was struggling with impulse control....

Last edited by Mohican; 09-09-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Until Mo can spell American culture without the derogatory, 'Murrican', I'll keep subverting his efforts.

I can appreciate a good conversation, but when it starts with subvertive slights in the OP, how can a reasonable person take it seriously?
Do you think your half witty responses are subverting my efforts?

It's amazing that the use of 'Murrican instead of American results in a deluge of antipathy, usually from the extreme ends of each Left and Right spectrum.

To put a fine point on it, American should be a catch all for people from the nations of the North, Central, and South Americas. To me, everyone who uses American as a catch all for citizens of the US, like defending or deriding AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM is, uhm, intellectually lazy and wanting.

Last edited by Mohican; 09-09-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 354

Yes. But I'm interested in hearing about what other writing sites permit and what it takes to get booted from them.
I'm talking about moderation. I'll go out on a limb and say insulting the intelligence of the membership and how some percentage of them live their lives wouldn't be up there on the list of how to best to do it.

that comment wasn't snark.
You're probably right. More like prejudice and ignorance based on superstition.

The way you keep dragging it back and forth, and picking at it like some secular pharisee then it must have really rustled your jimmies.
Only in the way that knee-jerk bigotry rustles my jimmies.

It would probably have been best to not reply to that, and it might not have been the most appropriate response to that question. Perhaps that day I was struggling with impulse control....
This is a good way to end this.

Of course, I'll be happy to read and critique your writing.

Later.

Last edited by Myers; 09-09-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

You're probably right. More like prejudice and ignorance based on superstition.
Bless your heart, Myers.
If I hold a view based on my faith that such behavior is bad, and express it publicly it is (to you) prejudice and ignorance based on superstition. Some would be as offended by that as you are by my "prejudice and ignorance".

BTW, in a lot of writing forums, public call outs and rebukes to other members or staff instead of addressing it with PM would get a ban, too.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:19 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 110

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoculture

Eh, we will have to view monocultures differently. Especially then, and to a degree now the New England States and the southeastern states had differing cultures.

Until the run up to WWII Ohio had some very insular communities, particularly German communities that stayed unique. My wife was in the first generation to marry outside the Germanic community.
The Wikipedia link to monoculture you posted refers to agricultural culturing techniques, as in a particular way to cultivate Flora. Even the link at the top of that page to monoculturalism takes you to a page that describes something distinct from the way you're employing the term.

I'm not trying to bait you with this, but I find that you rely too heavily on the thoughts of others to do your arguing for you. Instead of explaining your position with a cogent argument you seek some authority figure who's said it already and just quote them. I don't doubt you have a decent brain, so I have to wonder why you'd rather let others do your thinking for you. Just because someone famous said something doesn't make it right or reasonable or even relevant. There's even a name for arguments that try to use authoritative quotes: appeal to authority fallacies.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
The Wikipedia link to monoculture you posted refers to agricultural culturing techniques, as in a particular way to cultivate Flora. Even the link at the top of that page to monoculturalism takes you to a page that describes something distinct from the way you're employing the term.

I'm not trying to bait you with this, but I find that you rely too heavily on the thoughts of others to do your arguing for you. Instead of explaining your position with a cogent argument you seek some authority figure who's said it already and just quote them. I don't doubt you have a decent brain, so I have to wonder why you'd rather let others do your thinking for you. Just because someone famous said something doesn't make it right or reasonable or even relevant. There's even a name for arguments that try to use authoritative quotes: appeal to authority fallacies.

That also has some allusion to social monoculture, too. So hopefully without being too repetitive, I don't "buy" your version or definition of a social monoculture. To me, calling a nation that has many cultures a monoculture because by being a nation it contains or absorbs all the cultures a monoculture is an intellectually lazy exercise.

One of the things different about people that populate the 'Beat, and perhaps other writing sites that I don't see on other discussion forums is a reluctance for attribution of ideas in discussion. On other sites I've been on (non writing sites) regardless of believe system you are expected to be able to source a definition.

Not pointed at you, but on other place I've visited other than writing forums, rebutting someone with "experts say", without being able to source experts will get a poster laughed out of the place or labeled as a blowhard.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:49 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 110

That also has some allusion to social monoculture, too. So hopefully without being too repetitive, I don't "buy" your version or definition of a social monoculture. To me, calling a nation that has many cultures a monoculture because by being a nation it contains or absorbs all the cultures a monoculture is an intellectually lazy exercise.
What you've said here is a misunderstanding of my point. The point was that the term monoculture is redundant. As soon as you refer to a group of people as a culture the "mono" part is implied. Think about it.

One of the things different about people that populate the 'Beat, and perhaps other writing sites that I don't see on other discussion forums is a reluctance for attribution of ideas in discussion. On other sites I've been on (non writing sites) regardless of believe system you are expected to be able to source a definition.

Not pointed at you, but on other place I've visited other than writing forums, rebutting someone with "experts say", without being able to source experts will get a poster laughed out of the place or labeled as a blowhard.
I'm all for attributing a thought to someone else if you've borrowed it from them. That's just good manners. I'm saying that you borrow too often.

Think your own thoughts. Just because some famous person said/thought something doesn't automatically make it gospel.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:05 PM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 110

Tell you what. Pick the topic from your original post you most want to discuss and I'll oblige to the best of my abilities (I'm pretty ignorant with regard to American history, so I'll probably fuck up here and there). I promise to thoroughly consider your statements/position if you do likewise. We might not end up convincing each other, but we may learn something.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Do you think your half witty responses are subverting my efforts?

It's amazing that the use of 'Murrican instead of American results in a deluge of antipathy, usually from the extreme ends of each Left and Right spectrum.

To put a fine point on it, American should be a catch all for people from the nations of the North, Central, and South Americas. To me, everyone who uses American as a catch all for citizens of the US, like defending or deriding AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM is, uhm, intellectually lazy and wanting.

Thats not why you use the term 'Murrican'. Just like it's not why you use the terms lipstick Lindsey Graham, and tRump.

You slant your posts and subvert their seriousness, keeping people from taking you seriously, with this stuff.

Bless your heart, and half clever are other signposts. Everyone knows I'm wholly clever, and I don't need anyone to bless my heart.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table