WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What are you writing

Old 09-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13
Icon10 What are you writing

You can tell a lot about a person based on the genre and themes of their novels. Just curious to see what kind of writers are here.

Smile people, it's Friday.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:45 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,726

("...me first, I'm another one of those livewriters you might come across from time to time..." mentioned the goblin much like any other goblin might or would mention he imagined, but what was there to say about goblins that everyone didn't know already, they were small green creatures descended from trolls, yet more adapt in the presence of humans, then adding "...simply I'm someone who writes in their posts for that direct forum readership, and great fun it is too, where you might then state "but that's not writing really, surely anyone can just post whereas the real writing is in books isn't it", which should be true indeed, save that alas most normal folks can't write in their posts, or at least can't be bothered to write in their posts I mean, whereas most writers, set apart from the normal posters the goblin imagined by their uncanny resemblance to a potted plant, probably have that ability to write in their posts to the level of the books even but simply don't because they don't see their posts as any natural extension to their writings per se, big pity since more readers read posts than most anything else today...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-11-2017 at 12:44 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

So you write for the forum genre, that's cool. You have a unique way of writing, it's very avant garde but in serious need of editing. I don't think writing is only limited to novels, that would make me one shallow ass writer.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,726

("...you learn fast then, and yes anyone can come along and edit me as they see fit here, but in doing so I'd only blend into the background amongst those others here who merely want to write in their books alone, I mean where I do ask myself would that benefit writersbeat to have just so many "writerclones of correctness" all tying to be bookwriters now, that is when and where the readership is a moving target today, one increasingly online wanting "short interactive content" instead, which is what most of these posts are I presume..." replied the goblin over a long coffee this early evening with its blue sky slowly ebbing away into darkness now, whereupon the goblin turned back to his own thoughts anew, restarting "...so think of livewriting, or writing in posts then, as something more akin to painting perhaps, where of course those painters whom you remember mostly today are not those who painted solely by the rules per se, no aren't they the ones who first started out with those very same rules, but then adapted them to their own painting style, where at this point you're in my shoes seeing things from my prospective now, but I'm not the only livewriter you'll come across on forumland so they'll probably see it differently, btw is this really a genre then, naah, perhaps for me it's more like an adaptation to an online readership that increasingly wants to become an online replyship too...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-14-2017 at 06:41 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

What is live writing?
Old 09-10-2017, 01:06 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,726

("...well that's an awfully wide question open to the interpretation of the individual, but for me it's the idea of simply "writing with one's readers at the other end of one posts ready with that reply button" much like now where we're conversing in this "live" setting, which is "live" for you when you read it and which was "live" for me when I wrote it..." replied the goblin thanking L&L for asking and liking his company too, then adding "...perhaps it's simply the difference between the cinema where the film is shot elsewhere but projected upon the screen in front of one without the actors being physically there, being that bookwriting with authors elsewhere I mean, and that theatre on the other hand where the actors perform in front of their audience like this, all being livewriting to me...", in fact, the goblin understood that any livewriter became known by their posts or they simply weren't one, and that the hitcount to their threads cut through that conjecture towards their readership, simply they had that readership there and that was an end it, yet readership probably wasn't their goal as it didn't feed them new thoughts like these replies did, so instead it was the replyship rather that the readership that mattered to them, smiling "...there's much more though, yet that calls for another post as readers tend to skip long posts with too many points in them, perhaps someone else's turn now...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-11-2017 at 12:36 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Lockette (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 23

Oh, Whatever strikes me as interesting, I guess.

Most of my stuff that's any good is crime fiction or fantasy. Fantasy especially because I seem to have a knack for worldbuilding.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Originally Posted by Lockette View Post
Oh, Whatever strikes me as interesting, I guess.

Most of my stuff that's any good is crime fiction or fantasy. Fantasy especially because I seem to have a knack for worldbuilding.
I am writing a high-fantasy series now, perhaps I can get some world building advice from you. It is one thing to create a world and another to bring it to life through a story.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Lockette (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 23

Originally Posted by Loser&Loner View Post
I am writing a high-fantasy series now, perhaps I can get some world building advice from you. It is one thing to create a world and another to bring it to life through a story.
what'd you like to know?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Using existing syllabics from a real language on our world to create one for a fictional world is that okay?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Lockette (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 23

Yeah, Sure. Most languages you see are either based off a common language, or just a bunch of nonsense. Certain exceptions would be J.R.R. Tolkien and Maybe Christopher Paolini, but even then they took inspiration from a written language of some form. Take Christopher Paolini's Dwarven runes. Notice how some of the letters are common letters we use in the English alphabet. For Tolkien, The elven rune for 'e' is M as we use it. Anything goes, really. It's your world, literally!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Thanks, that really helps.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Lock, are you writing a fantasy story as well?
Old 09-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Theresajcbs (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

HI, I'm new here and trying to sort out the forums. I don't even have my profile set up well yet. This is so weird...lol

Anyway, I write mostly Horror. But I am currently working on a SCi-Fi and a Biography. I've done kids picture books and poetry. I hope to meet some nice people in here
Old 09-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Hello Theresa, welcome, I am new as well. Thanks for sharing, I love horror and I listen to the Nosleep Podcast all the time. Are you willing to share your work, I love a good scare.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

Originally Posted by Theresajcbs View Post
HI, I'm new here and trying to sort out the forums. I don't even have my profile set up well yet. This is so weird...lol

Anyway, I write mostly Horror. But I am currently working on a SCi-Fi and a Biography. I've done kids picture books and poetry. I hope to meet some nice people in here

Just keep bumbling around and eventually you'll find us nice people. Or, we'll find you. Welcome. No need to be formal, we're in an informal stage at this point.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Lockette (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 23

Lock, are you writing a fantasy story as well?
I tried, several times. I believe I'm going to end up writing a collection of short stories perhaps revolving around one character. I don't know. I've never had the battery power it takes to write a series or even a book.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Originally Posted by Lockette View Post
I tried, several times. I believe I'm going to end up writing a collection of short stories perhaps revolving around one character. I don't know. I've never had the battery power it takes to write a series or even a book.
You do, you are just using all that precious brain power on a forum instead.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Lockette (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 23

You do, you are just using all that precious brain power on a forum instead.
Touche.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe