WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Would a publisher touch a novel like this?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Wonka (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 16
Default Would a publisher touch a novel like this?

Okay, I've decided that my next project is going to be based on a highly educated soldier based in Afghanistan, who eventually comes back to the US and starts exposing to the people of the world, what he thinks is the truth behind Islam's connection with terrorism and why there is so much violence committed in the name of Allah.

To put it simply, he writes a book about Islam and the prophet Mohammed and how he used violence to spread his religion, and how the teachings of Mohammed inspired 9/11, and the tens of thousands of deaths and terrorist atrocities each year. He goes on live talk shows to reveal the lies of the politicians who have informed the world that Islam is a religion of peace, and he tries to prove that what the world is really facing, is a wicked, expansionary idelogy whose ultimate goal is to destroy all opposite philosophy around the world both politically and literally.

Now, let's keep the subject of Islam out of this thread please. I just want to know if you think a publisher would touch a story like this (if it was good of course), you know, with everyone being afraid to say anything about this religion and all the violence and everything. I'm certainly willing to put my neck on the line and write it (I'm super confident I can do a great job), but most publishers would be too afraid to take it on, wouldn't they?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 870

There's only one way to find out. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I think if it has a point, and a story, you have a chance of publication. If it's just a diatribe, or an anti-Islamic manifesto, you'll be as welcome in publishing cirlcles as Gert Wilders would be in a mosque. Not because you're right, or wrong, but because pushing an agenda makes for poor storytelling.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
zomagic (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to zomagic

Perhaps if you really wanted to write a book like this you could make a fictional culture of the same thing. I'm not saying science fiction- just set it in the future, and call the existing religions something different. Have the characters do the same thing. I think it'd go over just fine in a fictional context, and that PLENTY of people would get at what you're getting at without you being about it, if that makes any sense. But otherwise-- what Mike C said.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Echo75 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 38

Hi Wonka,

I think this really depends on how you write the story. It's fiction, so if it's credible for the character to have such thoughts that could work, but there would still have to be a plot so to speak or it might appear to be proselytizing or bigotry. Not saying it is, mind you, just that, as for any contentious topic, it's easy for debate to descend into name calling. Unless you're islamic (and even if you are in some cases, such as Ali Hirshi) it can be difficult to raise criticism, however rational or polite.

Bear in mind also that it didn't work particularly well for Salmon Rushdie or Theo van Gough. If handled insensitively you could expect a fatwa. The free speech thread is all well and good, but few people are able to criticize Mohammed without some consequences (either from their own countrymen putting a label of intolerance on them or from fundamentalists). Publishers may be cautious in some regards, but others recognise that controversy sells. It really depends on the story and how you handle it.

Cheers
Karin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues