WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

is "me too" becoming trendy?

Old 12-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25
Default is "me too" becoming trendy?

so all of a sudden we are swamped with reports of sexual harassment by prominent men in sports, entertainment, the media, government and even academia. Whats different now? Men haven't overnight turned into grasping monsters. Has this always been the case or are women suddenly feel free to report such actions. I do notice that very little evidence is provided by those making the accusations. Thoughts anyone?

Old 12-02-2017, 02:38 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,846

("...it's back to your other post Connie, in that if there are dire consequences to relating to someone in real life, be that at work, or elsewhere, and absolutely none relating to them anonymously online like this, then that spells an end to real life relationships for these online ones instead..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...thus consequences make cowards of us all, where when I was young it was all about her and tonight, whereas at my age its all about the morrow and is it really worth it to me anymore...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-03-2017 at 01:56 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 916

Originally Posted by Connie View Post
so all of a sudden we are swamped with reports of sexual harassment by prominent men in sports, entertainment, the media, government and even academia. Whats different now? Men haven't overnight turned into grasping monsters. Has this always been the case or are women suddenly feel free to report such actions. I do notice that very little evidence is provided by those making the accusations. Thoughts anyone?

Some percentage of men have always been sexually aggressive. Powerful men have had more opportunity and leverage than men without power, and because we are now living in the world community rather than trapped in our own little local communities (or the perception of a world community), women are feeling more empowered to speak out.

I have no doubt that there will be some false allegations leveled here and there, for a bunch of reasons, but Iíd be inclined to believe the majority of these accusations.

Itís amazing what you canít get away with when everybody is watching everything.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

I guess there will be no mistletoe hanging in the office this year.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 658

I guess there will be no mistletoe hanging in the office this year.
I can't remember mistletoe in the office, ever. Is that a Brit thing?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:49 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,846

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I can't remember mistletoe in the office, ever. Is that a Brit thing?
("...well actually that mistletoe thingy all dates back to a slight misunderstanding..." replied the goblin hoping to shed light on it here, continuing "...you see there was once this secretary who wanted to poison her boss in the office over christmas time, where what better way she thought than to defuse a sprig of mistletoe in his tea, only that very moment she was preparing it he came in, and thus in order to hide her guilt she then placed the mistletoe above his head while inviting him to kiss her not so much under mistletoe that per se, no under the company's security camera...", which was the moment that the goblin suspected that his mind was turning all chrismushy, and of course he had tried hard not the vision up brights lights with snow flakes, tried hard to blot out of his mind that melodic "I'm dreaming of a white chritmas" too", but try as he may everywhere he looked it was just santa now, "...ho ho ho my little goblin, and a merry christmas to you too, in fact a merry christmas to one and all, just time to be jolly now isn't it my little friend, so come now, surrender your brain to me and I will happily exact it turning you into a christmas shopping zombie..." went the jovial voice from within, the goblin resisted it, yet he wondered if it wasn't already too late for some)

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-04-2017 at 10:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:21 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 710

The issue isn't black and white.

Here's a question.

Say I'm an actress looking for a part, and some male director says I'll get it in exchange for some sexual favour. I'm outraged and walk out. But my ethically challenged peer takes up his offer quite happily and gets the part. Who is more responsible for the perpetuation of this behaviour, the director or my peer?

We could argue about degrees but there's little doubt that there's a two way street at play here. To wit, as the ethical person trying to get by on my talents I am at once pressured by less ethical employers as well as less ethical peers.

And let's say you're a happily married director, and some young hopeful straddles you in some office because she's conditioned to think that that's how to get ahead in the industry. If you came out about the incident -- would it be met with the same level of sympathy or, would people secretly think that you're pretty lucky and don't have anything to complain about?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:53 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

Ans now this morning, my favorite conductor, James Levine.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,079

Ans now this morning, my favorite conductor, James Levine.

No doubt he's about to book himself into the same rehab clinic as Spacey and Weinstein...
Old 12-04-2017, 10:54 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 236

maybe they don't happen to turn into monsters. maybe they are just monsters.

(i always think it's jealousy. big cock, small deals, etc. beautiful women in the world are all thinking twice before blooming in the workplace.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
The Following User Says Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-11-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Luciaphile (Online)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 41

I'm thinking of self publishing a book called Me, Too: It Happened. Telling of my uncle's pedophilia and how it has affected me throughout my life. Would it sell, I wonder?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

Well its not a book you should tell, it was your mother, father, priest, somebody in authority. I hope little kids feel more free to do that today than in past generations.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,286

[QUOTE=fleamailman

"...thus consequences make cowards of us all, where when I was young it was all about her and tonight, whereas at my age its all about the morrow and is it really worth it to me anymore...")

[/QUOTE]

Nice one.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 379

Originally Posted by Luciaphile View Post
I'm thinking of self publishing a book called Me, Too: It Happened. Telling of my uncle's pedophilia and how it has affected me throughout my life. Would it sell, I wonder?
I don't know. Can you tell a good story?

Otherwise, it's a story that's been told many times.

You'll have to put you're own twist on it -- a unique perspective.

"Me too" alone won't to be enough.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:42 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 153

It's indicative of what women have felt they had to put up with. And that attitude still persists, gender equality notwithstanding. Women are still blamed for being raped, as if men were just being men and it's a woman's job to keep herself safe.

Of course some unscrupulous types will use the current situation to get some free publicity. Women (some, not all) have always exploited men to further their careers, just as men (some, not all) have always abused the power they have over women.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:59 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 710

Here's one.

Why is Corey Feldman sidelined and marginalised in the whole affair?
Mohican (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 362

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
... have always abused the power they have over women.
Heh,heh. As if women have no power over men.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table