WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry

Poetry Sit down or take a stand in this poetry section.

Recently

Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,369
Default Recently

I've been reading opinions regarding
armed conflict

Along with the Molon labe position
there is the "Let's disarm ourselves to
make the world safe" viewpoint

And, of course, if everyone did that ...

Well, we know that ain't gonna happen

So how about the United States (self
proclaimed Leader of the Free World that it is)
drops their shit

After some time to get over "it's a trick"
the probes (ouch!) would begin

But hold up a second - let's look at history
(no - not disputable ancient - something out
of the 50's - something with film footage)

Tibet
Never had an "army"
Never attacked
anyone

So who would bother them?

Well, you see, China says Tibet ain't
a sovereign nation
Says it is part of
China

And to prove their point they military
marched in and murdered unresisting
citizens

Course I ain't suggesting anyone attack
China in retribution

However, we could refuse to enrich
their war making machine by not
buying anything that gets them
more money

Yeah
That might work

Old 01-06-2018, 03:22 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

Stopping all trade instantly (or even slowly over timeówhich would give them time to re-ally financially) would effectively crash the world economy.

That crash would inevitably lead to upheaval of all kinds everywhere in the world, and ultimately violence.

The world is already globalist in so many ways. Even the 50ís are ancient now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Stopping all trade instantly (or even slowly over timeówhich would give them time to re-ally financially) would effectively crash the world economy.

That crash would inevitably lead to upheaval of all kinds everywhere in the world, and ultimately violence.

Then shikata ga nai, eh?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Then shikata ga nai, eh?

I donít know. The eternal optimist in me says there is always something that can be done to fix a problem, while the realist says what you said. It always feels to the participants that it itís probably hopeless, and then some flower springs from the weeds and solves a portion, or redirects our efforts.

Life pushes toward more life, and so far this has worked out for us. Although, itís been partial and flawed always.

My wife says this is evidence that God is working in us... Iím not so sure.

Iím still waiting for some ďtruthĒ that I expect will arrive.

The optimist.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:31 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

I donít know. The eternal optimist in me says there is always something that can be done to fix a problem, while the realist says what you said. It always feels to the participants that it itís probably hopeless, and then some flower springs from the weeds and solves a portion, or redirects our efforts.

Life pushes toward more life, and so far this has worked out for us. Although, itís been partial and flawed always.

My wife says this is evidence that God is working in us... Iím not so sure.

Iím still waiting for some ďtruthĒ that I expect will arrive.

The optimist.

Seems like a lot of baggage to be haulin' around.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:36 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

Probably, but I donít really notice.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 433

When all the things which used to be produced domestically began to be produced overseas, the world economy didn't crash, and I hardly think it would crash just from production returning to here.

If it did, I'm sure we would weather it. After all, the "economy" is a result of business, not the creator of it.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:43 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

[QUOTE=Prodigalson

I hardly think it would crash just from production returning to here.

[/QUOTE]

I, for one, am hankerin' to buy a book made in America, written by an American about livin' in America.

Know where I can purchase such a tome?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 67

I've been reading opinions regarding
armed conflict

Along with the Molon labe position
there is the "Let's disarm ourselves to
make the world safe" viewpoint

And, of course, if everyone did that ...

Well, we know that ain't gonna happen

So how about the United States (self
proclaimed Leader of the Free World that it is)
drops their shit

After some time to get over "it's a trick"
the probes (ouch!) would begin

But hold up a second - let's look at history
(no - not disputable ancient - something out
of the 50's - something with film footage)

Tibet
Never had an "army"
Never attacked
anyone

So who would bother them?

Well, you see, China says Tibet ain't
a sovereign nation
Says it is part of
China

And to prove their point they military
marched in and murdered unresisting
citizens

Course I ain't suggesting anyone attack
China in retribution

more money

Yeah
That might work

I think this poem would do with a format condensing. The stanzas are somewhat haphazard and the subject matter could have more in depth philosophical imagery. This is more like a diatribe and could use more blathering, as the subject matter is poignant enough that it doesn't need spacers --

yep thanks for sharing poems .kay;pewpew
The Following User Says Thank You to Beesauce For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (01-16-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Prodigalson (Online)

Thanks 433

I, for one, am hankerin' to buy a book made in America, written by an American about livin' in America.

Know where I can purchase such a tome?
Good to see you back, Mr. Pierce. I had just dug up that envelope from so long ago and was fixing to write and see what had happened to you.

The last year and a half have been some of the busiest months of my life, what with the mother-in-law dying, the months-long battle with the sisters-in-law over the house (besides the sister who finagled power of attorney from her mother who was catatonic and unable to walk because of the liquid morphine being liberally supplied by said sister, and the other sister who showed up after a fourteen year absence, only to abscond with the $53,000 the first sister left in the bank -- oh, yeah, I have some doozies for sisters-in-law.)

I also ran into a friend from twenty-five years ago who has since become one of the major property owners in town, and was looking for some help renovating a number of historic old buildings in Old Town. I brought my crew over and we've been busy six and seven days a week since.

But enough of the excuses. Things are settling out a little bit, I promised I'd have this book out two years ago, and it's time to shit or get off the pot. I will focus my energy on publication, and keep you posted.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:15 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Good to see you back, Mr. Pierce. I had just dug up that envelope from so long ago and was fixing to write and see what had happened to you.

The last year and a half have been some of the busiest months of my life, what with the mother-in-law dying, the months-long battle with the sisters-in-law over the house (besides the sister who finagled power of attorney from her mother who was catatonic and unable to walk because of the liquid morphine being liberally supplied by said sister, and the other sister who showed up after a fourteen year absence, only to abscond with the $53,000 the first sister left in the bank -- oh, yeah, I have some doozies for sisters-in-law.)

I also ran into a friend from twenty-five years ago who has since become one of the major property owners in town, and was looking for some help renovating a number of historic old buildings in Old Town. I brought my crew over and we've been busy six and seven days a week since.

But enough of the excuses. Things are settling out a little bit, I promised I'd have this book out two years ago, and it's time to shit or get off the pot. I will focus my energy on publication, and keep you posted.

Post us up a chunk in the members only so we can remember. Maybe a revised section from the original.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Prodigalson (Online)

Thanks 433

post us up a chunk in the members only so we can remember. Maybe a revised section from the original.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
ok.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46 AM
sdenyer (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 91

I was thinking there should be nothing if this is how the game of living is going to be played and then the thought came to me that it would be religion that would protest life just "awaying" it self, unprovoked, vanishing. How ironic to proclaim the end of suffering but then opposing the end of it.

It is an option that there should be absolutely nothing.

Last edited by sdenyer; 01-09-2018 at 12:50 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to sdenyer For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

more money

Yeah
That might work
Has there ever been a successful boycotting of another country's products, or products produced in another country on account of cheap labour, which wasn't an enforced government trade embargo?

And I hear tell that trade embargos kill kids... we might be back to the drawing board
Nick Pierce (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:17 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 41

I find this piece interesting and provocative but I don't know if it is poetry. Of course defining poetry can be a very, very difficult task.

This piece is political, but I have so many political ideas, regarding stuff this piece mentions, that I wouldn't know where to begin.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post
I find this piece interesting and provocative but I don't know if it is poetry. Of course defining poetry can be a very, very difficult task.

This piece is political, but I have so many political ideas, regarding stuff this piece mentions, that I wouldn't know where to begin.

Yeah, I no longer look to define Poetry.
That goal has proved as elusive as quantifying Love.

Neither non resolution keeps me from scribblin' or ... I think you get the drift.

Oh, and the politicalness - this kind of thing happens to some of us who lived through the Sixties and most of the Seventies.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Prodigalson (Online)

Thanks 433

At what point in the seventies did you die, Mr. Pierce? I was under the impression you made it all the way through.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

At what point in the seventies did you die, Mr. Pierce? I was under the impression you made it all the way through.

The peaceful happy hippie that I was was no more when I joined the USN because, I thought, they would send me to a place where I could get involved with the warring aspect of humanity's nature.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Prodigalson (Online)

Thanks 433

Ah... so we're speaking about parts of us.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

Ah... so we're speaking about parts of us.
Suppose you have a VCR tape and over the original film on it you tape something else. Then you tape another sequence of images (yeah, sound too).

Now we know the original is still there so you could call it part of the second and third recordings.

But if the first recording is Bambi and the second one is Rambo and the third one is Circle of Iron most folks of conventional mind would declare these to be unrelated.

And every once in awhile I attempt to think conventionally. It sure makes for some unique syntax, huh?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Prodigalson (Online)

Thanks 433

Funny how our lives can relate unrelated events by stringing them together on the same tape.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,369

Funny how our lives can relate unrelated events by stringing them together on the same tape.
Or on the same website.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 AM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 233

Not buy Chinese you say? Hmmm...I have some pants that are made in Africa. ( Well made too. ) Now I've just finished inventorying my shirts. There could be trouble there. I have one old holy one that was made in Turkey, so I guess I'll wear that for now. Coats, jackets and sweaters? Nope all Chinese. Hmmm...It was seventeen degrees out this morning as I departed for work.

I suppose when folks ask why I'm so under dressed I will say I am making a political economic statement. Since I'll be wearing pants they may even take me seriously.
Nick Pierce (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:03 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,066

When all the things which used to be produced domestically began to be produced overseas, the world economy didn't crash, and I hardly think it would crash just from production returning to here.

If it did, I'm sure we would weather it. After all, the "economy" is a result of business, not the creator of it.

America has always depended on slaves to produce profits. When things moved from manufacturing here to manufacturing with slaves who made $10 per week it was a boom. If they moved things back here it would be a doubling-down. They would invest in robots instead of people. After the initial investment, robots work for free. 24 hours a day, and donít complain.

Yeah, I know they have maint. costs, and energy costs, but thatís nothing in comparison to real humans.

Good manufacturing jobs are never coming back here. Itís just not as profitable.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Prodigalson (Online)

Thanks 433

I read something somewhere that said the number of manufacturing jobs lost to China is a fraction of those lost to automation.

My main problem with Chinese goods is the incredible shoddiness of them. The "affordability" of their goods is constantly touted, but when an "affordable" can opener only opens three cans before ceasing to function, or the "affordable" angle-head grinder from Harbor Freight wears out after four uses, "affordability" becomes meaningless.

It costs me a lot more initially, but I find in the long run it pays to track down American made goods and pay more for them, because I don't have to replace them as often. The problem anymore, of course, is finding them in the first place.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry