WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Contest Results l Fiction l Historical Fiction (Sept 2007)

Old 10-03-2007, 05:53 AM
aprilrain (Offline)
I need more minions
Loyal Member

Default Contest Results l Fiction l Historical Fiction (Sept 2007)

The judges were unanimous in their scoring for gary_wagner's brilliant take on the lives and deaths of Hitler. Well done, Gary! This contest may have been a little slow to start, but the entries were phenomenal. Thanks to all of our entrants for submitting such powerful stories.

gary_wagner 20
Queen of Wands 19.3
papertiger 17.8
Andrew 16.6

Originally Posted by aprilrain View Post
Member: Queen of Wands
Title: Not Proven

Spelling/Grammar: 4.5/5
Intangibles: 5/5
Overall: 9.5/10

Score: 19/20

Authentic details and dialogue. Excellent characterization in a short space. I would love to read an expanded version of this without the word count constraint. Well done.
__________________________________________________ _____
Member: Andrew
Title: Trajan

Spelling/Grammar: 4.5/5
Intangibles: 4/5
Overall: 8.5/10

Score: 17/20

Passionate and heartbreaking. There were times when I thought Trajan’s words were a little too poetic, and I wondered “would a guy like this say that?” Overall, though, I enjoyed the mostly-dialogue technique.
Member: gary_wagner
Title: The Death of Hitlers

Spelling/Grammar: 5/5
Overall: 10/10

Score: 20/20

Gary, where do you get all of these creative ideas? This may be your best yet. I especially like how you leave a question at the end as to which of our world leaders may be clones. Excellent.
Member: papertiger
Title: Untitled

Spelling/Grammar: 5/5
Overall: 9/10

Wow. Great entry. Horrifying detail that isn’t overwrought. I actually felt my shoulders tense up when the main character’s fingers started to burn. Sad and captivating. Great job.
Originally Posted by Mridula View Post
This month's entries were extremely good!

-----------------

Mechanics: 4.5/5
Overall Impression: 10/10
Comments: This was beautifully written. I enjoyed reading it from beginning to end. The story itself was excellently conceived. Good work!

Score: 19.5/20
-----------------

Mechanics: 4/5
Overall Impression: 8/10
Comments: This was a well-written story, but I found it lacking in places. Some of Trajan’s dialogues were so elaborate, they didn’t seem real. Other than that, I enjoyed reading this.

Score: 16/20
-----------------

Mechanics: 5/5
Comments: Brilliant plot and execution! I couldn’t have stopped reading if I tried. I’m honestly lost for words.

-----------------
Title: Untitled

Overall Impression: 9/10
Comments: I can’t believe this is your first contest entry. It was written very well. You managed to tell your story without getting too involved in the details, but yet capturing the emotions. Good entry here!

-----------------
Originally Posted by BreezyWriter View Post
Title:
Not Proven

Comments: Wonderfully written. Though I did have some trouble with certain words. The description emphasised the meaning nicely.
-------------------------------------------------------
Title:
Trajan

Mechanics: 45

Comments:Well written, giving us a good follow through in the story.
Title:
The Death of Hitlers

Comments: This piece of writing is wonderful. If it hadn’t been placed in the fiction I would have been wondering if it was true. Thats how good I found it.
Title:
Untitled

Mechanics: 3/5
Intangibles: 3.5/5
Overall Impression: 9.5/10

Comments: The feeling of horror is there. The writing particulars are great for putting us in the there and then. Unfortunately there are some flaws in certain sentence structures. You certainly have what it takes to be a good writer.
Originally Posted by Cordatus View Post

Comments: Flawless writing! A refreshing, wonderful piece. Thank you for sharing.

---

Comments: Loved it! Very emotional and filled with great imagery. The middle part (dialog) was a bit hard to read; try to remove any format from the text before pasting it here.

---

Comments: A piece of writing balanced in every aspect. The idea is brilliant and your style is fantastic as ever. Thank you for this read.

---

Title: [untitled]

Comments: Your tone is very effective and your writing style makes it easy for the reader to feel the harsh reality of your story. There are some sentences that need re-writing, but other than that, it was an engaging piece.

---
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Hmmm… I’m torn about this. It’s well written, there’s no doubting that. But I feel like you tried to cover too much ground in the 1000 words. I know it’s a tough limit! I wish I could have gotten inside Annabelle’s head more.

Score: 18/20

The dialogue was perhaps a bit lengthy and wind-blown. I think I would have found those bits more moving if you had created a few perfect, mind-blowing sentences instead. Otherwise, it’s a different take on the “historical” aspect of the contest, so that’s a plus.

What a wonderfully wicked idea! Creepy, too. Impressive, as usual, and well-written. No complaints here!

Title: none

Terrifyingly real and very moving. I was a bit put off by the switch in tense after the first paragraph, but all was well from that point on. Very good description and nice clean sentences.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Chloe (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to Chloe

Congratulations, Gary! =) A very close competition.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 AM
gary_wagner

These competitions are getting harder by the month. I think that the fact that all of the contestants scored above 16 speaks for the quality of the writing submitted.

Thank you Judges for your time and effort spent on reading and reviewing these entries. Thank you too, Chole.

Where do I get my ideas? Many of them come from the excellent challenges presented on this site such as this concept of historical fiction. The word limit really challenges me to make the story as compact as possible and that makes for some work in making sure there are enough details but yet get in as much story as possible.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a’ Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Congratulations, Gary, on an excellent story and a deserved win. I must say speculative historical fiction never occurred to me. Damn!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
papertiger (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

congrats gary. wow. this being my first contest was a great experience. i feel so honored that i got over a fifteen which is what i was expecting.

thanks everyone.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
BreezyWriter (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Congratulations Gary, it was really good. Leads one to wonder of the possibilities. Thanks for giving us such a great read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Andrew (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 3

Gary, that was a magnificently-crafted work of art. Queen of Wands and Gary...what a matchup of literary Goliaths.

Andrew Beutel
Secular Humanist
Free-lance journalist

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests