WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Contest Results | Opening Lines (April 2007)

Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 AM
aprilrain (Offline)
I need more minions
Loyal Member

Default Contest Results | Opening Lines (April 2007)

Congratulations to gary_wagner for his winning entry in April's Fiction contest and for sweeping the competitions this time around. There was also a tie for third place.

It was fun for us to come up with an opening line and see where it went from there. Three of the lines were used twice, so there wasn't a clear winner for the author of the lines, but we may try again at a later date.

Final Scores:

gary_wagner: 18.4
Pro-Q: 16.9
Kravorkian: 16.8
_Zeb_: 16.8
Massoud: 16.7
Ennubi: 16.1
texmex1011: 14.9
Tau Worlock: 13.4

Originally Posted by BreezyWriter View Post
Member: texmex1011
Title: Tapping the Red
Mechanics: 4.5/5
Intangibles: 4/5
Overall Impression: 8/10
Comments: There were point where I did not understand the words. (The drubs = Beat thoroughly and conclusively in a competition or fight.) And there were other points where I was confused as to who was speaking.
Score: 16.5/20
--------------------------
Member: Kravorkian
Title: Deceit
Intangibles: 3.5/5
Overall Impression: 9/10
Comments: Black Widow comes to mind when I read this. Some of the phrasing seemed unreal in the context of the story.
Score: 17/20

Member: Ennubi
Title: Prompted
Mechanics: 3/5
Intangibles: 3/5
Overall Impression:8 /10
Comments: Good thing it was a dream. It did feel erratic and I was wondering what it was that I did not read. And yet that is often how dreams are seen. Nicely done.
Score: 14 /20
Member: _Zeb_
Title: Maxine
Mechanics: 5 /5
Comments: It felt broken up. When it was written the woman it sounded out of sorts. Almost out of context.
---------------------
Member: Massoud
Title: In Search of Bread and Water
Intangibles: 3 /5
Overall Impression:8 /10
Comments: There were someinconsistencies as to the members.
Score: 14/20
Member: Pro-Q
Title: Unfaithful
Mechanics: 4/5
Intangibles: 5/5
Comments: Nicely written. With just one small error
Score: 18/20
Member: gary_wagner
Title: Bad Date
Mechanics: 5/5
Comments: Like usual you showed us the side of you that really counts. Good writing.
Score: 19/20
Member: Tau Worlock
Title: Pink water
Mechanics: 2/5
Comments: The story showed how spoilt the girl was and how her actions got her in trouble. Most of the problems were in the fractured sentences and quite a few words were wrongly spelt.
Score: 13 /20

Originally Posted by Cordatus View Post

Overall Impression: 7/10

Comments: The general concept of the story is admirable, but the flow is hindered by unclear writing. I was particularly confused by the imprecise handling of the pronouns.

Score: 14/20

---

Member: Kravorkain

Comments: Nice idea. It felt a little rushed, but otherwise it's well written.

Score: 15/20

---

Member: ennubi

Comments: What a clever piece! I didn't identify with the story at all in the beginning, but nearing the end it made sense. The writing is amusing and the style is great.

---

Member: _zeb_

Comments: A good read. You need to fix a few grammatical errors here and there, but otherwise; the writing is wonderful.

---

Comments: Fantastic! Loved this from beginning to end. Wonderful style, flow, and content.

---

Comments: Impressive work, especially the portrayal of the main character's feelings. If I were you, I would work more on the descriptions.

Score: 16/20

---

Title: Ernie

Comments: The descriptions are very well-crafted and the progress of events is very good. But the style is different, not like your usual way of writing. However, my favourite part was the ending--great one.

---

Comments: I liked the idea, quite interesting. However, there are plenty of misused words: homophones, which the spell checker did not catch, apparently. Try to re-edit the story; it will turn out very good.

Score: 13/20

---

Originally Posted by OnceUponATime View Post
My scores for Fiction / April:

Member: TexMex1011
Total Score: 15/20
Comments: Good dialogue, nice tension here between the characters. A little POV wobble in the narrative in describing the thoughts of the secondary character, but overall a very nice use of the opening line.

Total Score: 18/20
Comments: Terrific story and a great job with the opening line. Loved this line in particular - "Julia was sitting at the kitchen table, a chrome 9mm nestled in one hand and a hot-boxed Marlboro in the other." Vivid dialogue, top-notch narrative style. The only nit I have is that the ending seems to repeat the first paragraph, I'm not sure if it was a cut-and-paste thing or if it was intentional. Other than that, what an awesome story!

Title: WC:998
Total Score: 17/20
Comments: Hilarious! Not quite sure what the actual plot was, but a ton of laugh-out-loud funny lines throughout. Creative use of the opening line - had I entered this contest, I'd have picked the very same one with Ernie wearing the unzipped cocktail dress . Nice work, loved the last line.

Comments: Very nice writing, Zeb! Loved the imagery you conjured up and you drew me into the scene nicely, both with the setting description of the beach and the suspense building in regard to the dead girl on the beach. Or was she dead? The ending needs a little stronger resolution, and there's a few teeny punctuation errors here and there, but this is a great read overall. Keep writing!

Total Score: 16/20
Comments: Excellent characterization! I found myself wanting to know more about your interesting characters and their journey, as well as the causes of their misfortune. The ending left me a little confused and it seemed to me that this story could be a lot longer. Nicely done, only a few little mechanical writing nits to be found. If you ever expand on this, I'd definitely read on.

Total Score: 16/20
Comments: Nice use of the opening line and you've done a wonderful job showing your main character's emotion throughout the piece. The ending was a little predictable, but then again, I can't really see any other way of ending it unless Max shoots himself instead of his wife and her lover. Good work, do keep writing

Member: Gary_Wagner
Title: Ernie - 998 Words
Comments: Funny story and nice use of the opening line. Ernie as a female character was unexpected and quite un-feminine to boot. Didn't quite understand why Frank took her wallet, etc., but his character is also well done. Excellent writing as always.

Title: Pink Water
Total Score: 15/20
Comments: A few spelling/usage errors here and there, but this is a very interesting story. Liked how you used the opening line to create a sense of irony with Monalisa Good's demise. Nice writing; you defined Monalisa's character very well.

Well, there they are. Terrific entries this month, everyone!

Best,
Jillian

Originally Posted by aprilrain View Post
Mechanics: 3.5/5
Overall Impression: 8.5/10
Comments: The dialogue here is your strongest asset. I sensed the desperation in both men, which made it very engaging. Watch the mechanics, though, and the punctuation inside and outside quotes, etc. This felt more like a segment of a larger story rather than a stand-alone tale.
Comments: I may be slow on the uptake today, but I was surprised by the ending. A great use of few words. I wonder if it would be even more powerful if you just end it after "You."
--------------------------------------
Comments: It began humourously, but my attention began to wane when the action and introduction of characters became too chaotic and no longer made any sense. The explanation of it being a dream (and incorporating all the prompts) brought it together in the end, but I'm afraid not many people would get there.
Score: 15.5/20
Comments: This was very well written and kept my attention, but I have so many questions that I am left feeling unsatisfied: is Maxine the girl? The lead-in sentence followed by the description of the couple led me to believe that the woman was named Maxine. Did the woman see something or why did she run off the way she did? What's the significance of the scar? I enjoyed the spooky element to the story but wanted a little more.
---------------------
Comments: The description of the characters sets this up for an interesting tale, but I wouldn't say this is a stand-alone story. Some of the phrasing really rolls off the tongue; you have a nice way with words.
Score: 16.5/20
Intangibles: 4.5/5
Comments: A familiar scene, but this was nicely developed with the right amount of suspense to really capture the reader's attention. The repetition of the one line was effective, but there may have been a couple too many.
Score: 17.5/20
Title: Bad Date
Comments: I thought at first that you had ignored the pronoun in the first line, but by the end it all became clear that you had just taken a less conventional route. Funny and a pleasure to read.
Mechanics: 2.5/5
Comments: Good development of the opening line, but this could benefit from a thorough editing.

Originally Posted by cuteangel View Post

Comments: I wasnít too impressed by this. I didnít quite understand the story at the beginning, though it cleared up later. It didnít grab my attention, though. There are a few misplaced and missing commas and other punctuation. The ending was nice, if a bit expected.

----------------------------------

Comments: I really enjoyed reading this! It got a bit dry in the middle, but the end was so shocking, it made up for everything else. This was a good story from start to finish.

Comments: I liked the way you managed to weave in every line into the story, although it called for only one. The ĎOh, it was just a dreamí tagline might have been a bit over-used, but the story made up for it.

Member: _zeb_

Comments: This was a good storyĖthe building suspense to the eventual climax had me on the edge of my seat. I didnít understand a few parts. The first line seemed to have no relevance to the rest of the story and the last part left me wanting more resolution. Other than that, it was good.

Score: 15/20

Comments: Excellent title! It was very relevant. Your style did not leave much to ask for. I especially liked the way the narrator described himself. Perfect. I just did not care for the way your piece ended on such an abrupt note. It would have been better if you had gone on and written more. Itís definitely got my attention.

Comments: Well, the ending was a bit predictable the moment Max took out the gun, but this story still had my attention. I liked your use of repetition. It built up the suspense very well. You shouldnít have put in so many, though. Over-use cut down on some of its effect.

Title: Ernie

Comments: Another impressive story. I liked the unconventional use of the first line. Very appropriate. I enjoyed reading this a lot.

Member: Tau Warlock
Title: Pink Water

Comments: This was a good story, really. The only problem was the amount of spelling mistakes. With some work on those, you will have a very interesting story on your hands.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
gary_wagner

Thanks again, judges. I appreciate the time and effort it takes to read each of these stories, evaluate, and rate them.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Congratulations gary_wagner on wining.

And yes I know I can’t spell, that was my third attempt (the first two times it fell apart on me) so I was a bit rushed to get it in on time.

Once again congratulations, and to all others better luck next time.

Sincerely Worlock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Kravorkian (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 2

Wow, I've been so busy for the past month or so, I haven't had the time to come back and check this out. First off; congratulations Gary!

Also thanks to all that read and judged them. Without you, the contests just wouldn't happen now, would they? :-)

I always like to reply to any response to my writing, whether it be in a post or a contest, so here goes.

Cordatus - I agree that it felt rushed. I have a slight problem with keeping the length of my work below that which would deter many from reading it. This is one of the shortest works I've written, and to me it seemed odd to end so soon. I thoroughly enjoyed writing it though, as it posed quite a challenge for me, having to keep it fairly short.

OnceUponATime - The last paragraph was intentionally repeated as to mimic the actions of the main character. Readers are to assume she had done this many times over, and at the time I thought this would press that on. After thinking about it, I didn't quite like it, but could never get back to changing it before the contest ended. (Though it's changed in my files here, haha) Thank you for your kind comments. :-)

Aprilrain - Most all of my stories have a sudden and "surprise" ending...even to those that are familiar with my writing. I really couldn't end it at "You." though, because it would leave out the "woah" factor that I was going for at the end.

Thanks again to everyone else who read/judged.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests