WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Multiverse

Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 181
Default Multiverse

http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=463;fa=4

The theory that our universe may be one of an infinite number of universes has gained popularity. The idea was put forth by Alan Guth (gooth) at Sanford University in 1979. Two Russian cosmologists, Andrei Linde and Alexander Vilenkin, also take the theory seriously. According to multiverse theory, there are countless Big Bangs before and after ours. New universes are always coming into existence. Big Bangs are caused by "repulsive gravity" as energy and space-time move outward. Expansion begins with inflation, a period during which universes expand faster than light. If we could turn off all stars and galaxies, we would see a sea of radiation left over from our own Big Bang. In fact, the COBE and WMAP spacecrafts have detected and mapped this cosmic background radiation.

Alan Guth put the multiverse idea on the shelf for a while. Linde continued to publish. Multiverse proponents contend that "eternal inflation" and dark energy point to a multiverse. Each universe has a different value of dark energy. String theory, too, lends credence to a multiverse. String theory suggests that there may be more dimensions than height, width and depth. At least that is what Guth and Linde think. There may be exact duplicates of ourselves in parallel universes. Naturally, there are scoffers, scientists who believe the multiverse is science fiction. Still, there are those who think the multiverse may be the next Copernican Revolution.

Max Tegmark is a Swedish cosmologist at MIT. He thinks there are at least 4 different kinds of parallel universes and has published articles about them. High-level physics can be pretty speculative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Colyer For This Useful Post:
Pandora (02-25-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 AM
qwertyportne (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

This is an interesting topic. Not sure why you received no replies yet. Of course, this is a writing forum, so I suppose we are expected to comment on the writing, not the content. My feedback is that I would encourage you to revise the article so it comes off the page (screen) more like a story than technical essay; that is, get our attention right off the bat (title and first line), hold our attention in the mi9ddle, then release us by giving us something we can take home for our own lives. Can't say you haven't done this, but at the very least I think your article could have lots more punch than it does now. I'll get over to your website when I have more time and perhaps explore the topic itself in more depth? Thanks for posting it. You are certainly invited to visit my website.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Rocko (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=463;fa=4

There may be exact duplicates of ourselves in parallel universes.
Infinate duplicates of Jesus Christ as well?

Originally Posted by qwertyportne View Post
This is an interesting topic. Not sure why you received no replies yet. .
Quality might be one reason a post is intentionally snubbed but unfortunately, there are other non-writing, mundane reasons involved which very often take precedence over quality.
So profound silence and seemingly inexplicabe lack of response from readers who read and prefer to say nothing directly should not be seen as significant feedback about quality.

Last edited by Elisa/win; 03-01-2014 at 01:00 AM..
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Whew. You've presented quite a number of potential threads to follow here, Jim.

Let's start with countless Big Bangs. What evidence is there? What are the hypothetical mechanics? Do they create universes like ours (there's a concept for you - that in any way, shape or form we can claim any kind of ownership of something we are such an inconsequential speck of), but in another space? Or do they share our space, fitting in, as it were, by not having any like dimensions?

If this is so, this means that we exist within a billowing, blustering cloud of other-dimensional energy, which we cannot see. Or can we? How much of what we see as the natural order of things in our dimension is actually influenced or controlled by events in, or the laws of other dimensions?

And if all this is so, why can't we see it? Are the old legends true, of mankind being punished for some transgression by being blinded to all but four dimensions? Or were these things never meant to be seen and understood by us? We may not be happy with what we find out about ourselves, should we ever find the answer.

Last edited by JustcallmeEd; 02-23-2014 at 08:44 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM
risk10 (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 280

Multiverse theory is so much fun. I have been dabbling in it for about three years now (it forms a part of my fantasy series, and I am also starting a Sci-fi with this theme).

Brane Theory, Hubble Spheres, Chaos Theory and Many World Interpretations are great fun. As was this little gem, Jim.

Cheers,
Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 181

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post
Whew. You've presented quite a number of potential threads to follow here, Jim.

Let's start with countless Big Bangs. What evidence is there? What are the hypothetical mechanics? Do they create universes like ours (there's a concept for you - that in any way, shape or form we can claim any kind of ownership of something we are such an inconsequential speck of), but in another space? Or do they share our space, fitting in, as it were, by not having any like dimensions?

If this is so, this means that we exist within a billowing, blustering cloud of other-dimensional energy, which we cannot see. Or can we? How much of what we see as the natural order of things in our dimension is actually influenced or controlled by events in, or the laws of other dimensions?

And if all this is so, why can't we see it? Are the old legends true, of mankind being punished for some transgression by being blinded to all but four dimensions? Or were these things never meant to be seen and understood by us? We may not be happy with what we find out about ourselves, should we ever find the answer.
Yeah, multiverse theory poses more questions than it provides answers. It may or may not be all science fiction. You say we may not be happy with what we find out. That made me think of Stephen Hawking, who says we should not seach for alien life because of what we might find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

I enjoyed the read, found it well written, interesting and took hold of my thoughts and fantasies. I certainly know we little brains haven't gotten nearly what we will when we leave this world. That excites me, what is yet to come. I always feel there is more than a grain of truth in science fiction.

Thanks Jim Coyler very much enjoyed.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

And then there might be nothing other than what we can see, right here, right now.

There may not be an afterlife. Believing that we continue on after death may be the ultimate in egotistical fantasies.

The idea that there are other planes, other dimensions suggested by mathematical calculations may be pure craziness.

Maybe we should make the most of what we have here, during this lifetime, instead of day-dreaming about inconsequential nether worlds of our imagination.

Right?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post
And then there might be nothing other than what we can see, right here, right now.

There may not be an afterlife. Believing that we continue on after death may be the ultimate in egotistical fantasies.

The idea that there are other planes, other dimensions suggested by mathematical calculations may be pure craziness.

Maybe we should make the most of what we have here, during this lifetime, instead of day-dreaming about inconsequential nether worlds of our imagination.

Right?
That might be like seeing one show only on a concert tour than doing three four whatever fancies. I'm living to the fullest of my fantasies.

I hear that thought from many and I wonder why it would be assumed because someone more than believes in an afterlife that they somehow are not living the fullest life they can everyday. That just doesn't compute for me.

Side note . . . I believe in dreams both day and night, they do come true.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Rocko (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

The Hadron collider is being used to determine whether other dimensions exist or not based on the observed dissapearence of a subatomic particle.

Large Hadron Collider May Help Us Glimpse Into another Dimension

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/12693/large-hadron-collider-may-help-us-glimpse-into-another-dimension/#ixzz2uXnFe1Wp

Last edited by Rocko; 02-27-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 181

Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
The Hadron collider is being used to determine whether other dimensions exist or not based on the observed dissapearence of a subatomic particle.

Large Hadron Collider May Help Us Glimpse Into another Dimension

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/12693/large-hadron-collider-may-help-us-glimpse-into-another-dimension/#ixzz2uXnFe1Wp
How the Large Hadron Collider Works
http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...n-collider.htm

Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Rocko (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
How the Large Hadron Collider Works
http://science.howstuffworks.com/sci...n-collider.htm

I already know how it works but thanks anyway.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Moved to Intellectual Table.

Last edited by JustcallmeEd; 03-25-2014 at 03:26 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction