WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Just the three of us

Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 PM
LeWriter (Offline)
Living and then some

Thanks 181
Default Just the three of us

6th April 2014

‘Careful honey, don’t get any of it on the couch.’

I was watching a Nicholas Sparks film with my parents, along with the casual consumption of Pretzels. As we passed the bag of Pretzels around, I stole furtive glances at mom and dad. I could not remember when was the last time the three of us actually sat together to watch a movie. We used to do that a lot when I was younger. We’d go to the movies every other Saturday, and I’d be sitting in the middle between them, hogging the popcorns, in the blessed comfort of my parents’ arms. I’d turn to look at mom and dad when the credits rolled on the screen, and I loved my parents more than anything else in the world. And I’d wish for the credits to roll longer, just a little longer, so that I could live that moment with the two people I loved most in the world for a while more. I’d hold their hands as we sauntered to our car in the parking lot, and I’d hop around with the usual excitement of my nine year old self with either ‘Man that was so cool!’ or ‘Man did you see that?!’. And dad would go ‘Yes sweetie we did, you were holding our hands the whole time.’

‘More like clenching,’ mom would pipe up.

Dad would scoff and hold up his hand with my nail markings all over and I’d roll my eyes and they’d laugh and get into the car and they’d say ‘Put on your seatbelt baby’ together and I’d go ‘Yeah yeah’ and roll my eyes and they would laugh again.

Those were the times.

Now, as I watched their eyes reflect the images from the screen, I wondered if they were thinking what I was thinking. If they were asking themselves the same questions as I was. Whatever happened to those times? Where did that little innocent girl with that young fire go? Did we lose it all in the slammed doors, the ‘I fucking hate you’s, the unanswered phone calls, the reproachful glares, the impulsive slap? Is this what happens to everyone? That come a certain point in time, you’d go to high school and find new people, maybe even a boy, and you’d stupidly convince your sixteen old self that it’s worth making your mom cry at four in the morning over a son of a bitch who wouldn’t give two flying fucks about you. And your parents would keep trying for you, but you wouldn’t let them. And one day, everyone just stopped trying.

But tonight was different. Because tonight, we’re all trying. And I knew somewhere amongst us, it was still there. It would always be.

‘Damn girl, he ain’t even gone yet and you’re crying already,’ dad smirked and mom handed me a tissue, smiling.

‘Thanks mom’, I said. They didn’t know. They didn’t know that the ‘Thanks’ contained so much more than just gratitude for a tissue, or that the tears for that tissue was used to wipe contained more than lost love in a Nicholas Sparks film.

But they were there. And that’s all that mattered.

And when dad passed me the Pretzels, I turned to watch the embrace of two souls and I was the happiest girl in the world. Because tonight, it was just the three of us. And I was fine with that.

I was more than fine.

-KC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LeWriter; 04-07-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM
angelgirl (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 15

Touching!

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction