WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

I was moved by Kavanaugh's testimony....

Old 09-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 230
Default I was moved by Kavanaugh's testimony....

Am I fundamentally biased here, or is something very wrong?

Old 09-28-2018, 04:43 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

I think heís done. 3 accusers in the ďme tooĒ generation. I believe he was a typical privileged dude in the 80ís. I think he did what they say, give or take. I donít think that should keep him from the Supreme Court, but I donít really want the court to be a 6-3 lock for a generation or more. Although, Trump will get this pick and maybe another before heís done.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

He is a fucking good actor though, and , not just his testimony, there are many holes... which of course you are not allowed to say any more, but fuck off... there are many holes in the story. Yes, he is done though
Old 09-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
i think heís done. 3 accusers in the ďme tooĒ generation. I believe he was a typical privileged dude in the 80ís. I think he did what they say, give or take. I donít think that should keep him from the supreme court, but i donít really want the court to be a 6-3 lock for a generation or more. Although, trump will get this pick and maybe another before heís done.
3?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:20 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
3?

Yes, 3 different women. Only Ford is testifying before congress so far
Old 09-28-2018, 08:55 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Is this a new reality show? I don’t keep up with Merkin tv.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:55 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Oh, I take it back then, probably a piece of shit but a good actor.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 518

Someone willing to go so far as to pay a woman to perjure herself in an effort to discredit an otherwise honorable man would not stop at one.

Three women, even if individually their claims are bullshit, will have more credibility, just because there're three of them. Never mind that they could all three be lying out their asses - there're three of them, by God! They can't all three be lying!

Yes, they can.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:35 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Someone willing to go so far as to pay a woman to perjure herself in an effort to discredit an otherwise honorable man would not stop at one.

Three women, even if individually their claims are bullshit, will have more credibility, just because there're three of them. Never mind that they could all three be lying out their asses - there're three of them, by God! They can't all three be lying!

Yes, they can.

Yeah, they can all be lying, or not. I donít know. Iím not even sure being a douche-bag in high school and college, an entitled frat-boy asshole should disqualify him as a judge at 50+ years old, after a pretty clean upstanding professional career. And Iím not worried about the 6-3 overturning abortion rights. Thatís the least of what they could do.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Yeah, they can all be lying, or not. I don’t know. I’m not even sure being a douche-bag in high school and college, an entitled frat-boy asshole should disqualify him as a judge at 50+ years old, after a pretty clean upstanding professional career. And I’m not worried about the 6-3 overturning abortion rights. That’s the least of what they could do.
While I believe that effluxion of time is a valid argument, and that people must be allowed to grow and change and overcome past misdeeds; I never abused women when I was 17, my male mates never abused women when they were 17 (except one- but that's another story). It is not normal or acceptable behaviour.

But that is all theoretical, I do not know the truth of this situation.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 09-29-2018 at 08:09 AM..
Old 09-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 518

People do things when they're young that they're mortified about later on, and having done it, and felt that mortification, are highly unlikely to repeat the action, or allow anyone else to.

I nearly cut my sister's finger off with a bow-saw when I was seven, angry at having to help her get firewood in, when it was her turn.

I saw her grab the chunk of wood in a way that exposed her finger to the saw, thought Fuck it, and made the cut, slicing nearly all the way through her little finger.

Does that mean I've been impulsive in anger, and thoughtless towards other people's safety since then, to where I can't be trusted with important jobs?

Hell, no. It means I saw directly, at a young age, the effects of my thoughtlessness. As a result, I have been extremely careful to watch out for others, probably more so than had that not happened.

People do stupid things when they are young. Babies smack each other in the head. Does that disqualify them for high positions forty years later?

Using irrelevant history for character assassinations lowers the discourse all around, but since it's not going to stop, perhaps we should just learn to ignore it. When someone pops up with a dubious claim at a critical moment, it should be treated as the childish act it is, and not responded to at all.

Bring proof, or go home.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:23 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 439

lmao, you guys are so funny. talking about this shit instead of hiding on the forum. nice.

💭
Old 09-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

The political element muddies this, just as it muddied the James Gunn situation (although that prat should stop using his privileged position to promote a political party, which is far outside of his wheelhouse- use it to promote your f'ing movies- that is what you are paid for!).

Since it is a clear assassination attempt, given the timing, it raises many questions.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:34 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 422

People do things when they're young that they're mortified about later on, and having done it, and felt that mortification, are highly unlikely to repeat the action, or allow anyone else to.

I nearly cut my sister's finger off with a bow-saw when I was seven, angry at having to help her get firewood in, when it was her turn.

I saw her grab the chunk of wood in a way that exposed her finger to the saw, thought Fuck it, and made the cut, slicing nearly all the way through her little finger.

Does that mean I've been impulsive in anger, and thoughtless towards other people's safety since then, to where I can't be trusted with important jobs?

Hell, no. It means I saw directly, at a young age, the effects of my thoughtlessness. As a result, I have been extremely careful to watch out for others, probably more so than had that not happened.

People do stupid things when they are young. Babies smack each other in the head. Does that disqualify them for high positions forty years later?

Using irrelevant history for character assassinations lowers the discourse all around, but since it's not going to stop, perhaps we should just learn to ignore it. When someone pops up with a dubious claim at a critical moment, it should be treated as the childish act it is, and not responded to at all.

Bring proof, or go home.
Yay! If I raped someone when I was younger and learned my lesson then all punishment has been dealt. Whew. Bet that's a load off a bunch of chauvanistic assholes that believe in the friend zone and that women should never reveal a collar bone less they wanna get fondled. Load off a lot of our backs...

Courtesy of BP
The Following User Says Thank You to daes13 For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Well it seems like every man on the planet is under threat.
Since Harvery Weisntein every man including presidency are sex offenders. Media rejoice.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 09-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
Yay! If I raped someone when I was younger and learned my lesson then all punishment has been dealt. Whew. Bet that's a load off a bunch of chauvanistic assholes that believe in the friend zone and that women should never reveal a collar bone less they wanna get fondled. Load off a lot of our backs...
Yeah, I agree. There are degrees and there was clear false equivalence in the above above. Suggesting that a compos mentis 17 year old is incapable of knowing right from wrong is an odd stance.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 518

Rape is far from being proved here. Wasn't the original story just that he rubbed his dick on her face, while the crowd cheered him on? Apparently, nothing actually happened, but I'm saying, if he did do something childish and inappropriate (people do all kinds of weird shit in college and high school, some of it highly inappropriate, but not criminal), and has lived an exemplary life since, he doesn't deserve to subjected to the criticism Kavanaugh is.

One way of looking at it: if they had to go back thirty-six years to find something he may have done wrong, that man's a saint, and qualified for any job.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 422

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
Well it seems like every man on the planet is under threat.
Since Harvery Weisntein every man including presidency are sex offenders. Media rejoice.
Good. I hope they are fucking terrified. Hope they live in constant fear of each news article and every notification on their phone. I hope the telltale beat plagues their existence until they fucking kill themselves. And even that is too good for them. They have done far worse, plagued far more nightmares.

Ihope they are gelded and tortured and spit upon and exposed like the god damned bullies they are. Because they deserve nothing better.

Courtesy of BP
Old 09-29-2018, 03:49 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 422

Rape is far from being proved here. Wasn't the original story just that he rubbed his dick on her face, while the crowd cheered him on? Apparently, nothing actually happened, but I'm saying, if he did do something childish and inappropriate (people do all kinds of weird shit in college and high school, some of it highly inappropriate, but not criminal), and has lived an exemplary life since, he doesn't deserve to subjected to the criticism Kavanaugh is.

One way of looking at it: if they had to go back thirty-six years to find something he may have done wrong, that man's a saint, and qualified for any job.
Thank God I only rubbed my dick on her! Thank white Jesus I didn't insert myself. A mushroom stamp is just a prank...

Courtesy of BP
Old 09-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

I assume you mean the specific perpetrators, and not anyone who happens to have certain genitalia?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:50 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 422

If they had to go back 36 years hes a saint?

Nah man, the fear and shame instilled in women and the capability of money to hide such things is a joke.

Courtesy of BP
Old 09-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 518

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
Yeah, I agree. There are degrees and there was clear false equivalence in the above above. Suggesting that a compos mentis 17 year old is incapable of knowing right from wrong is an odd stance.
But isn't that what statutory rape laws are based on? And why you can't vote 'til a certain age? Why a minor cannot be sent to prison, or buy alcohol?

At seventeen, you legally don't fully appreciate the difference between right and wrong. Hell, at seventeen I married a twenty-three year old big-titted hippie chick, thinking it was the right thing to do.

Didn't take long to figure that one out.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:59 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 422

But isn't that what statutory rape laws are based on? And why you can't vote 'til a certain age? Why a minor cannot be sent to prison, or buy alcohol?

At seventeen, you legally don't fully appreciate the difference between right and wrong. Hell, at seventeen I married a twenty-three year old big-titted hippie chick, thinking it was the right thing to do.

Didn't take long to figure that one out.
Problem isn't that a 17 year old did not "know" right from wrong, but that society has driven in the stake that it is okay to pester women even if they say no.

Morality is instinctual, the golden rule applies. You know you don't want someone raping or even stamping their dick on your face. So why do it to another?

Courtesy of BP
Old 09-29-2018, 04:02 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Problem isn't that a 17 year old did not "know" right from wrong, but that society has driven in the stake that it is okay to pester women even if they say no.

Morality is instinctual, the golden rule applies. You know you don't want someone raping or even stamping their dick on your face. So why do it to another?
I must add for the sake of fairness there are many women out there who pester men and women and get away with it.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 09-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

I must add for the sake of fairness there are many women out there who pester men and women and get away with it.
Yes, I have needed some long showers in my past after said pestering, but I have yet to meet a women who could physically impose herself upon me against my will- the fundamental difference.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 518

My point in pointing that out was not to say it was OK, but to show inconsistency in her claims.

It's not alright to rub your dick on a drunk woman's face without her consent.

It's also not alright to falsely accuse someone of rape.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

My point in pointing that out was not to say it was OK, but to show inconsistency in her claims.

It's not alright to rub your dick on a drunk woman's face without her consent.

It's also not alright to falsely accuse someone of rape.
Agreed.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 422

True, but that comes down to the whole All Lives Matter issue that ignores that a majority of one populace is targeted. It desensitized people to the fact that 10 times as many women, and in underestimating here, are violated as opposed to men.

Then, theres the whole debate of how women are taught shame with sex whilst men are taught pride.

Yes, it is a necessary component, but not one that needs to be addresses ahead of the issue of thousands of years of subjugation.

Thats that whole rationale of hey Africans were slaves but Irish and other immigrants were used as well.

It does not include the degree and only makes people feel better about what they have done because they are not the only ones afflicted. Even if it is to a lesser degree

Courtesy of BP
The Following User Says Thank You to daes13 For This Useful Post:
Nacia (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 04:10 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 422

Falsely accused is one thing yes, but when a gender has been brought up to accept subjugationand then finally feel comfortable enough to speak out, ajd every one wants to jump to falsely accused, then it becomes a problem. Yeah, it took decades. But shouldnt that say more about society than the interaction if and when it took place?

Courtesy of BP
Old 09-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

True, but that comes down to the whole All Lives Matter issue that ignores that a majority of one populace is targeted. It desensitized people to the fact that 10 times as many women, and in underestimating here, are violated as opposed to men.

Then, theres the whole debate of how women are taught shame with sex whilst men are taught pride.

Yes, it is a necessary component, but not one that needs to be addresses ahead of the issue of thousands of years of subjugation.

Thats that whole rationale of hey Africans were slaves but Irish and other immigrants were used as well.

It does not include the degree and only makes people feel better about what they have done because they are not the only ones afflicted. Even if it is to a lesser degree
I broadly agree, but do take one issue (which I hope you do not take as a critique of your entire comment): "but not one that needs to be addresses ahead of the issue of thousands of years of subjugation." I am not an apologist for past misdeeds I had no control over, nor should anyone ask me to be.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table