WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Oh, waiter!?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:38 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Some of us live in the outside world.
Coincidentally, that's what I write about. Although I have an idea...

Some rogue scientist develops an new technology that we aren't supposed have, because it goes against our natural state of being. Of course, it all goes horribly wrong and everybody learns a big lesson. And I'm not sure how, but probably aliens will be involved.

What do you think?

Old 08-12-2015, 05:27 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I reckon you could get a trilogy and a movie out of that.

Brilliant!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:35 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 407

I was trying to find a movie to watch last night and one of the movie descriptions was:

"A rogue government agency in a secret underground lab tests a new alien technology..."

And that's when I quit reading.

I think they stole your idea Joe.

Oh yeah, I did decide on 'Anamorph' with Willem Dafoe. It was good but unfortunately no close ups on his "confusingly large" genitalia. Had a good bit of Francis Bacon references so that's probably why I liked it.

Courtesy of BP
Old 08-12-2015, 06:20 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
I was trying to find a movie to watch last night and one of the movie descriptions was:

"A rogue government agency in a secret underground lab tests a new alien technology..."

And that's when I quit reading.

I think they stole your idea Joe.
Damn.

Oh yeah, I did decide on 'Anamorph' with Willem Dafoe. It was good but unfortunately no close ups on his "confusingly large" genitalia. Had a good bit of Francis Bacon references so that's probably why I liked it.
I can't look at Willem Dafoe without thinking of him in those little shorts in the The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. So funny.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:50 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 407

Yeah I watched him in 'Route 66' I think it was called. He wears really tight pants. At the beginning there's a scene where he straddles a chair, and you can just see IT. Did some research apparently in a movie where he appeared naked, full frontal, the director called in a stunt cock because he was "confusingly large"... Best Hollywood shit I've ever read.

Courtesy of BP
Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

I was trying to find a movie to watch last night...
Going off on a tangent, I was looking for something to watch on Netflix the other night and was struck by how many movies are summarised by "A bunch of kids go off for a weekend in a cabin in the woods..."

A) Do there have to be that many films with the same plot, and

B) Will kids never learn that you can't go off for a weekend in a cabin in the woods without it ending really badly for most of them?
daes13 (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

The news is just so fucking depressing all the time. The only good news goes like this; Homer Gladnot of DeMoines Iowa is 114 today. Happy Birthday Homer!

Really? How fucking happy do you think he is? He sits around the house all day in a robe and an adult diaper. He's been eating baby food from a jar for the last twenty years and his eyesight and hearing are all but gone. If Homer had the strength to pull a trigger he'd blow his fucking brains out!

We can't afford the oil we drill here on earth so what makes anyone think oil from outer space will be affordable? No fucking way! Flying cars? Yeah, right. Let's crank up the death toll with air crashes dropping drivers and passengers from the friendly skies.

"Honey go outside and see what just hit the roof"

"Sweetie, it's a dead baby in a car seat."

"Again? Call the insurance adjuster in the morning."

Fuck health care lets spend our money on putting a Wal Mart on Uranus. Screw cancer research lets spend grant money to study the mating habits of the titmouse or why we always end up with a sock missing from the dryer?

Let's just legalize weed. We can all buy stock in Nabisco and become instant millionaires. Guaranteed.

And where the hell is that super train we were promised? Run out of tracks or Oriental coolies?

Half the world is at war and the other half is just waiting to join in once they have nukes in their backyards. Comforting, isn't it.

It's all a mess, a big fucking mess and watching it on tv only makes it worse.

The truth is life is a sci-fi story. Look around and ask yourself if some of the folks wandering around the malls and parking lots are real people. I don't think so.

They stand in a busy line at the grocery store waiting until their overflowing cart is rung up before they take out their checkbook. Real people have better fucking sense than that. Aliens don't.

Somewhere out there in the cosmos there's a real story to be had. A real planet inhabited by beings that don't consider themselves alien. We may never find it but you can bet your ass they know about us.

For all we know good old Homer Gladnot is one of them. He's been reporting back to his home planet for 114 years telling them all about us. Taking into consideration of his accounts of life here on earth they have decided not to visit until it's time to take out the trash. Shouldn't be much longer. In fact it will probably sooner than we can drill oil on Neptune or wherever.

"It is in mans nature to push the boundaries of reason. Someday we will go to far."

Commander Limoven Pryshil of the planet Zurisk.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:45 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
The truth is life is a sci-fi story.
Nothing more needs to be said.

Didn't stop Mr G saying it...
Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Some of us live in the outside world.
That doesn't change the fact thrt in order to write intelligently about the outside world it requires thinking about the next step in world politics. I find that talking about controversal issiues helps me find inspiration for stories. Also I never sully my works of sci-fi with ignorance! There's an invention called Google and I know how to use it!

Khantrai Trenton.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Motley Crew View Post
Also I never sully my works of sci-fi with ignorance! There's an invention called Google and I know how to use it!
How the hell did any sf ever get written before google? Are you trying to tell me that Asimov, Heinlein etc had to rely on their imaginations?
Old 08-17-2015, 06:08 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Google is pretty great. Just yesterday, my wife said, you're the one who messes up the microwave -- you clean it!

So I looked up "best way to clean a microwave."

Well, you put a microwave safe (duh) bowl in there with a cup or two of water and a little vinegar for 5 minutes. The steam softens up all the gunk -- then everything just wipes off with ease!

You can thank me after you try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
daes13 (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,118

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Google is pretty great. Just yesterday, my wife said, you're the one who messes up the microwave -- you clean it!

So I looked up "best way to clean a microwave."

Well, you put a microwave safe (duh) bowl in there with a cup or two of water and a little vinegar for 5 minutes. The steam softens up all the gunk -- then everything just wipes off with ease!

You can thank me after you try it.

I told my wife that and she said: duh!!! She even stuck her tongue out at me and made the cross-eyed dummy face.

My air conditioner went out the other day. I googled how to fix it and spent $239 on parts. I installed everything and it didn't work.

I called a buddy who's an AC guy. He laughed and came out after work. He went into the attic and replaced a little purple fuse. SHABLAM!! up it came!

Well, at least I also have a new blower motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
JoeMatt (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

How the hell did any sf ever get written before google? Are you trying to tell me that Asimov, Heinlein etc had to rely on their imaginations?
Being clueless about current advances makes one look foolish. I mean who would believe an invasion from Mars today? That's an extreme example, but putting something that is only a decade away as a new advancement a century from now is also a bad idea. Maybe that's the point being made.

For example, Baby Robots had a lot of good elements as a story, but was rejected. I suspect it was because there was little sci-fi to it. Mood programming and flying cars aren't all that futuristic.

So if you want to simply write for your own enjoyment, fine. If you want to sell it, know what's going on.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

I have sold plenty of SF over the years. I had a story nominated for an Omni award many years ago. Please don't try to tell me how to write.

SF comes in many flavours. If you write 'hard' SF then you need to know your science, or readers will shoot you down in flames. If you like to extrapolate current events, then yes you have to watch the news.

Good SF isn't about invasions from other worlds, or science, or technology. It can include any or all of those elements, if required, but - like any other story - a good SF tale is about people. Everything else is background.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Hi Gaines. Reading this was a wild ride. It was sort of surreal and I love that. Thought association.

I had the thought, at the end: "Yep. Things are as fucked up as the writer thinks."

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

I have sold plenty of SF over the years. I had a story nominated for an Omni award many years ago. Please don't try to tell me how to write.

SF comes in many flavours. If you write 'hard' SF then you need to know your science, or readers will shoot you down in flames. If you like to extrapolate current events, then yes you have to watch the news.

Good SF isn't about invasions from other worlds, or science, or technology. It can include any or all of those elements, if required, but - like any other story - a good SF tale is about people. Everything else is background.
I couldn't agree, more. Why I spend so much time practicing how to act as every character I've created. Incorporating the best traits of each into my own personality. And the fact of the matter is. My point is thus.

When Around The World in 80 Days was written virtually ZERO research was done into America, a sprawling land mass that was undergoing territorial disputes with Native American tribes and was well populated by gun-fighters, like Jessie James as was portrayed in the Pierce Brosnan movie version.

So the author came off looking ignorant to any American. Nowadays. Saying that the first man on Mars isn't for another century is as laughable as the idea that hot-air balloons would be used in the nineteen hundreds as a means of crossing the country in a matter of days as was believed in the eighteen hundreds.

However Jewels Verne's not sure if I spelled that right, From the Earth to the Moon. Portrayed accurately the American space program. In that he knew we would be launched with explosives in capsules. Not carried gently, as sci-fi fantasy tends to portray. Google is the modern tool of research. Every generation's had a different one. And I do write sci-fi with an eye to if and when it is most likely to occur

Imagination I feel is vital, as it enables the writer to be every character in their story. Seeing how each idea is great and how each idea is lousy. As well as being able to create societies that find much of the Terran lifestyle irrational. So that this explains everything. Now if only anyone can get me a groctagino, that would be excellent. Hopefully that will be easier to acquire than Professor Haiglen's African lunch. He never did get it!

Commander Shilok Tolkath.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 AM
jimr (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 43

Thanks for the invite Motley Crew, but it's not my thing (amusing interpersonal dialogue). You have one guy claiming that facts get in the way of his fiction, so to speak, and you have a whole Crew (pun intended) debating the syntax of 'sully'. I would like links or literary references to the science thingees you mentioned like: I just read May issue of Science yesterday and there is a debate you may be aware of over their human embryo experiments (true). I'll probably look in on this thread, but I doubt if I can add much (I just don't do people stuff well). Great concept though.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Thanks for the invite Motley Crew, but it's not my thing (amusing interpersonal dialogue). You have one guy claiming that facts get in the way of his fiction, so to speak, and you have a whole Crew (pun intended) debating the syntax of 'sully'. I would like links or literary references to the science thingees you mentioned like: I just read May issue of Science yesterday and there is a debate you may be aware of over their human embryo experiments (true). I'll probably look in on this thread, but I doubt if I can add much (I just don't do people stuff well). Great concept though.
Thanks for the interest. I think that it will be nice if you drop in posting those links you mentioned. I still can't figure out how! Glad you seemed to like it, though.

Professor Ensign Luon Carlson.

PM me when dawn breaks.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe