WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Writing/Arts Magazine

Old 04-03-2016, 12:12 AM
dipandfordy (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Writing/Arts Magazine

So, I'm working on creating an online magazine focused on writers and artists. The idea of it is to help get young and emerging writers/artists some credibility in the community. The articles would include writing tips, information of new opportunities, etc.

Anyways, I'm interested in the opinions of actual writers. Does this sound like a good idea, like something you would pay to subscribe to or even want to write for?

Thanks for your attention.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:43 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

I'm afraid I would not pay for a subscription to a writing/art e-zine. I can read infinite amounts of fiction from young hopefuls for free, either by joining forums like this one, or by joining online critique groups and circles, or by reading one of the many free fiction/art e-zines around. However, there are people who do pay for subscriptions to fiction zines.

I might write for one if the pay was good enough. The only e-zine I know of that pays the kinds of rates I find attractive as a writer is Clarkesworld.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Sounds like a doomed crock of shit. If you want to make money out of writers, sell them something useful.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:12 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Sounds like a doomed crock of shit. If you want to make money out of writers, sell them something useful.

You need to stop sugar-coating your responses. This emotional fragility you've got going won't make you any friends in internetland.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 AM
Binx B

I've stumbled across a few e-zines that were worth a read. There are some that are quite professional, and I can see how they might build a readership. But I don't go looking for them. When I want to read good fiction or poetry, I still go through the more traditional channels. (And I avoid writing forums. ) I know the content has been vetted to a degree, but otherwise, life is too short.

I have a feeling that for most e-zines, the only people who read them are the people who put them together and the writers who want to be or have been published in them. Sounds like you're actually setting out to do that, and that doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

I think you'd have to put one out for the love or enjoyment of it. Can't see how it could be a money making proposition, especially when there are so many out there that are free.

Last edited by Binx B; 04-04-2016 at 05:17 AM..
Old 04-04-2016, 05:38 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
I've stumbled across a few e-zines that were worth a read.
I run one. Check out the oddville press.

I have a feeling that for most e-zines, the only people who read them are the people who put them together and the writers who want to be or have been published in them.
This sadly seems to be true.

I think you'd have to put one out for the love or enjoyment of it. Can't see how it could be a money making proposition, especially when there are so many out there that are free.
The only way it could be done is for love. Nobody wants to pay for what they can get free elsewhere and I suspect the OP has spotted a way to make money, not a way to help writers.

Launch it for free, make it indespensible (the hard part) then charge for 'member only' content.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:41 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I run one. Check out the oddville press.
Actually this is a bare-faced lie. I own one. It is run better than I could ever manage by Matt Mckern and his talented crew of volunteer editors.

http://oddvillepress.com/
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Binx B

^ I'll check it out. Looks really nice; totally professional at a glance.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

Originally Posted by dipandfordy View Post
So, I'm working on creating an online magazine focused on writers and artists. The idea of it is to help get young and emerging writers/artists some credibility in the community. The articles would include writing tips, information of new opportunities, etc. Anyways, I'm interested in the opinions of actual writers. Does this sound like a good idea, like something you would pay to subscribe to or even want to write for? Thanks for your attention.
("...doesn't that credibility just come with the keeping at it..." ventured the goblin not in the least discouragingly though, before adding "...and if you then remain unknown after all your efforts wouldn't that somehow indicate that you're probably going about it in the wrong way perhaps, thus instead of trying to get those readers to come towards your book, as you seem to be proposing there, wouldn't it be simpler to hook these readers here into your posts in the manner that they're both willing to read you still, and to remember you by too...", in fact, the goblin's long term goal had always been to create a drip feed of trusted short interactive content offered by known personas, not only himself now, precisely because he had noted that they weren't reading books like they had been, smiling "...so perhaps all this internet here has evolved the passive reader of yesterday into a more substantial active replier of today, something that has in its turn turned the mindset of "one's passive readership" into this a real interactive replyship here...", leaving the question in the goblin's mind of why anyone would still read something by someone who treated them like as if as they were not there like most writers did when and where the gap between the persona and the piece were no longer there for them to do so)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Dominic1977 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I'll be honest I don't think you could charge for something like that. Since there is a ton off free stuff online already. You'd have to have it free. If it gained a lot of popularity then you could add a donation button, or something like that.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Binx B

If I had a dollar for every time someone said they were going to start a writing and arts magazine, I'd start a writing and arts magazine.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe