WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

enlightenment

Old 08-18-2015, 02:01 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933
Icon5 enlightenment

what is the true meaning of
spiritual enlightenment??

have you come across it or experienced it?

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 08-18-2015 at 03:25 AM..
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Not really.

The closest I have come to enlightenment is with what's in my signature (This too shall pass) and with my realisation that, without the intervention of any kind of god, we have all lived from the beginning of time and will continue so until the end of time. Everything is forever.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

your signature what does it mean?
I may have read it differently from you
where did you get it from?

interesting time is at the core of everything and not god.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Translated it means "This too shall pass" - in other words, nothing lasts forever. It has been attributed to everyone from Solomon to Abraham Lincoln but originated with a medieval Persian poet, possibly Sanai.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Ankit (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum. I think Enlightenment is not a right word. Right word would be awakening.. waking up.

I was awakened last month and asked my company to create an animated video to give people a visual idea of how it really feels like. I am not allowed to post links as I have not made 10 posts yet. Please search on YouTube for "What Is Enlightenment, Awakening of Ankit Saxena"

Cheers
Ankit
Old 08-19-2015, 07:24 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Enlightenment vs. awakening? Sounds like you're splitting semantic and spiritual hairs.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

I don't know what you mean by enlightenment. I've had 'ah-ha' moments, but nothing I would consider 'enlightenment'. Spiritual enlightenment makes me think of someone devoted to spiritual focus, like a buddha or dalai lama.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
what is the true meaning of
spiritual enlightenment??

have you come across it or experienced it?
When the light bulb goes on in reference to your walk with God.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
When the light bulb goes on in reference to your walk with God.
walk with god?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by Ankit View Post
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum. I think Enlightenment is not a right word. Right word would be awakening.. waking up.

I was awakened last month and asked my company to create an animated video to give people a visual idea of how it really feels like. I am not allowed to post links as I have not made 10 posts yet. Please search on YouTube for "What Is Enlightenment, Awakening of Ankit Saxena"

Cheers
Ankit
I wake up every morning and everyone does too,
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Mohican When the light bulb goes on in reference to your walk with God.

walk with god?
What part of this do you have a question about? I know that the "Enlightenment movement" that happened around the time the U.S. was founded, and when the French Revolution occurred sought enlightenment outside of Christianity but that isn't what works for me.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:44 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,230

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
[/I]

What part of this do you have a question about? I know that the "Enlightenment movement" that happened around the time the U.S. was founded, and when the French Revolution occurred sought enlightenment outside of Christianity but that isn't what works for me.

The Christian God and doctrine gives us a path to walk without the necessity for 'enlightenment.' It revolves around faith. Which is just belief and adherence to the word with no proof. It's a fine way to live if one can pull it off. But most can't. Forgiveness for sin is mandatory in this system, because sin is inevitable. It's as good a system as any other religion.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:14 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

I went to the 1986 World Cup soccer final in Mexico City without a ticket and one minute before the game managed to buy one off a ticket tout. At the time getting to World Cup final was the biggest thing on earth for me and getting so close and missing out was a horrible prospect.

Anyway, I raced up the stairs and pushed through the crowd to get a sight of the field and it was like the heavens exploded with light. I went deaf for a moment, everything froze and I felt such a sense of euphoria I would have been happy to drop dead on the spot, my life's ambition fulfilled.

Ever since, I have wondered if my own 'religious experience' is what people mean when they say they have 'seen the light.' I'm an atheist, so it's nice to know the feeling is available to the rest of us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveHarrison For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (08-20-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 04:08 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Do you have an enlightenment story of your own, Nacia?
Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,230

Originally Posted by poirot View Post

Oh God, I hope so!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:00 AM
Binx B

My limited understanding of spiritual enlightenment is that it is about self-awareness and some kind of understanding of life that allows you to move beyond the emotions connected to wanting material or worldly things.

If I'm on the right track, then I think that would be something to work toward, but I think it would be a very tall order for any human being to reach that state entirely.

I'm just trying to keep my priorities in line, live in the moment and do my best to stay "centered." Perhaps some sort of enlightenment or understanding will come from that eventually, but I can't say for sure. It seems to have a positive effect in the short-term when I consciously work on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-26-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by poirot View Post
no I have not
Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Oh God, I hope so!
you hope so??
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

I
The Christian God and doctrine gives us a path to walk without the necessity for 'enlightenment.' It revolves around faith. Which is just belief and adherence to the word with no proof. It's a fine way to live if one can pull it off. But most can't. Forgiveness for sin is mandatory in this system, because sin is inevitable. It's as good a system as any other religion.
I know! I'm ignoring my own advice and picking a fight I have no hope of winning. But I object vehemently to the overuse of religious forgiveness! God is supposed to be the father of all. Now while he may love all his children, what father in their right mind would say... 'Oh, you've lost my car-keys for the hundred and twenty-sixth time, think all you need to do is whine 'sorry, please forgive me.' And of course because I'm a benevolent man, I'll give you my car-keys again, knowing full well you're gonna lose them, again. Why not?' If a human did that he'd be labeled insane whereas God's supposed to be perfect!

I believe following blindly God's alleged messengers, the government,experts of varying expertise or for that matter anyone else destroys your connection with God whose strongest means of communication comes from one's little voice as Magnum called it that says when everyone around you is positively wrong and gives you the courage to oppose them all.

Due tplo my sci-fi writing I researched more than just Christianity while trying to come up with alien religions and discovered that the Buddha everyone in China is referring to when they say 'Buddha' after his ordeal which triggered his enlightenment, that anyone could become a Buddha and I personally agree. For since God is a God of love he would logically give all his children an equal playing field for to love us all equally he would not show favoritism!

At least... Not until after we mess up and start helping the Devil!

And the Devil lives in every religion!

I am through.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

God is supposed to be the father of all.Now while he may love all his children, what father in their right mind would say... 'Oh, you've lost my car-keys for the hundred and twenty-sixth time, think all you need to do is whine 'sorry, please forgive me.' And of course because I'm a benevolent man, I'll give you my car-keys again, knowing full well you're gonna lose them, again. Why not?' If a human did that he'd be labeled insane whereas God's supposed to be perfect!
not unless he is the mother of none
one has to be careful as to the overuse of the word children
and love
humans love god more then their own kind
and that is exactly where religion fails miserably
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

There is much that is enlightening about Christianity, especially if you compare the Old to the New Testaments. Then find the similarities and the differences.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:34 PM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121
Send a message via Skype™ to pswgear

Enlightenment is a choice of awareness made in moments and minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to pswgear For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Binx B

Originally Posted by pswgear View Post
That's what I was driving at. I think it's a process.

Just a guess, but I think anyone who declares he's reached some state of enlightenment is probably full of it.

Last edited by Binx B; 08-25-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

a choice? I am not sure i follow.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-25-2015, 03:31 PM
SteveHarrison (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

I think enlightenment, euphoria, a feeling of ecstasy, or whatever you want to call it, is a natural, though rare, spontaneous chemical reaction in the brain when you achieve a 'perfect storm' moment.

I'm not sure choice plays a part, though I'm told deep meditation can help and you will hit the jackpot if you find the Blue Pearl.

My 'soccer moment' described above certainly felt other-worldly or spiritual and very weird, so maybe the God of Soccer spoke to me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 PM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121
Send a message via Skype™ to pswgear

Enlightenment = euphoria? Couldn't disagree more.

a choice? I am not sure i follow.
...it's a choice. Enlightenment is active engagement with the world. More often than not we slip into routines that daze us into dullness. We don't live in nor appreciate the world because our minds are closed. Opening your mind is an active choice...distancing yourself from the things that muddle and confuse your focus.

Enlightenment is not some high and mighty thing that descends on your like a muse. Much like writing, the only way to achieve it is to work on it, committing yourself each day to focus and eliminate the confusion.
The Following User Says Thank You to pswgear For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-26-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

Enlightenment = euphoria? Couldn't disagree more.

...it's a choice. Enlightenment is active engagement with the world. More often than not we slip into routines that daze us into dullness. We don't live in nor appreciate the world because our minds are closed. Opening your mind is an active choice...distancing yourself from the things that muddle and confuse your focus.

Enlightenment is not some high and mighty thing that descends on your like a muse. Much like writing, the only way to achieve it is to work on it, committing yourself each day to focus and eliminate the confusion.
I'd have to agree. At least to some extent the adage question everything is in many ways enlightened realization. Or maybe I'm just full of it.

Ensign Cireef.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:36 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Wikipedia defines spiritual enlightenment as

Enlightenment refers to the "full comprehension of a situation".
As such, there is no single enlightenment just as there is no single situation.

So my "ah-ha" moments count, I suppose. And I'd guess we all have those.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

The Dahli Llama says; The path to true enlightenment begins with warm Yak butter, a stray cat and two female Mongolian midgets.

In the year of the Rabbit during the seventh moon in its final phase one must squat naked in a bucket of warm Yak butter while holding the stray cat in ones lap as the two Mongolian midgets dance and chant around the seeker of enlightenment.

Enlightenment will come.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe