WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Religion

Old 04-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 181
Default Religion

I tried Christianity at different times. It always caused psychological problems! It goes without saying that we should treat each other with respect. The problems I have are with supernatural things like the virgin birth, miracles of Jesus, and Jesus coming back from the dead and walking around 40 days before ascending into heaven. It sounds ridiculous, a combination of mythology, superstition and lies, not something we might accept as fact. I tried the Bible and church again when my mother died. I basically laid in bed and drank for a year. I prayed her soul went to heaven. At the same time, I could not say there is any kind of afterlife or such a thing as a soul. When I pray, I feel schizophrenic, like I am talking to myself. It seems obvious that when we are dead, we are dead. Yet, there is something in humans that yearns for immortality. Why? Perhaps it is an indication that there is a "God" and some kind of eternal existence. Apparently, animals do not have religion or any longing for immortality. People say that humans are animals. I recoil from the idea. We differ from animals, yet this is still not proof of any kind of Creator. It seems that all religions are wrong! Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam all embrace medieval thinking. I cannot say I am an atheist because I am not. Nor can I say I am a believer or an agnostic. None of these categories apply to me.

Creationists offer no proof. The Bible is mythology, stories made up by men. Ancient Jews had their mythology as did the ancient Greeks and Romans. Science is objective! It deals with nature and physical reality. "The flood story" of Genesis is fantasy. The idea that Noah built a boat and put all the animals in the world in it is ridiculous. Science sets the date of the earth at 4.6 billion years. All the continents have been under water at different times. Fossils of marine animals can be found in the highest mountains. But there was no "Biblical flood" as such that killed all the people except Noah and his family. This is folklore! Charles Darwin started out as a "believer." His faith had to be shaken by his voyage and his findings in the Galapagos Islands. But in the 1830s and in the company he kept, it was dangerous to contest scripture.

After my mother died, I went to Belmont Church on Music Row a couple of times. I did not fit. I asked the preacher how he knew Jesus rose from the grave. He said because of the "empty tomb." I was not convinced. There was no empty tomb. The preacher was confusing a ghost story with reality. Printed words on a page do not make an empty tomb. On the bottom line, the gospels are mythology, although they are not taught that way by the Church. They are taught as fact. But the idea that a man came back to life, ascended into the atmosphere, and will one day return in clouds to catch believers up in some kind of rapture is absurd.

Jesus is a mythological character. So, any number of stories can and have been invented about him just as the ancient Greeks had varied and contradictory stories about their gods and goddesses.

I do not want to be called an "atheist!" It is a dirty word people who believe in mythology call people who know the difference between what is real and what is not.

Life is a result of bio-chemical processes. When those bio-chemical processes cease, life ends. "We are chemistry," as Seth Shostak wrote.

We are chemistry and biology! We are thinking beings with language. We created religions, gods and goddesses and the monotheistic concept of one God. We wrote the Bible and ascribed its authorship to an imaginary deity.

Jim Colyer
http://www.jimcolyer.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Binx B

Sounds kind of like what I'd tell my folks when I was trying to get out of going to church on Sunday morning.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

There is more to heaven and earth that meets the eye Mr. Colyer. Miracles abound in ways seen and unseen. Science does not explain everything.
Mohican (04-04-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 181

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
Sounds kind of like what I'd tell my folks when I was trying to get out of going to church on Sunday morning.
When I turned 13, my mother said I did not have to go to church if I did not want to. What a relief!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 181

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
There is more to heaven and earth that meets the eye Mr. Colyer. Miracles abound in ways seen and unseen. Science does not explain everything.
True, but science is open-ended and self-correcting. Religion is dogma.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Binx B

Well, I was actually commenting on the banality of your little diatribe.

So why do certain self-righteous atheists AND Christians feel the need to say and write these kinds of things?

They don't do it to try to change anyone's mind or to make the world a better place.

They do it for the same reasons anyone feels the need to put down some large group of people; so they can feel superior and better about themselves without having to do anything or even put any thought into it.

So yeah. Good job man.

Last edited by Binx B; 04-04-2016 at 02:52 AM..
Old 04-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

They are what they are meant to be.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Binx B

Sounds like a variation on the always brilliant "it is what it is."
Old 04-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

Sounds like a variation on the always brilliant "it is what it is."
Do you have any original thoughts on the subject matter?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:52 AM
Binx B

There are no original thoughts on the subject matter.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:31 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

For some.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:41 AM
Binx B

So far, the bar seems to have been set pretty low, so maybe someone will come along and say something original. It sure hasn’t happened yet.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:42 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Science attempts to. Religion doesn't explain anything, unless you subscribe to the "I don't understand how this works so it must be pixie dust" school of thought.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:10 AM
Binx B

And just look at all the wars, hate and injustice in the world caused by pixies and all their dust. Wake up people!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:45 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

So far, the bar seems to have been set pretty low, so maybe someone will come along and say something original. It sure hasnít happened yet.
They keep the bar low so you won't feel left out.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:51 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Science attempts to. Religion doesn't explain anything, unless you subscribe to the "I don't understand how this works so it must be pixie dust" school of thought.
The two disciplines are polar opposites. Apples and oranges. No one can say with certainty there is or is not a God or an afterlife or even pixie dust for that matter.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Binx B

They keep the bar low so you won't feel left out.
A witty variation of the classic, "I know you are but what am I."

Good job.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

And just look at all the wars, hate and injustice in the world caused by pixies and all their dust. Wake up people!
Are you espousing your take of the OP's post? How superior you must feel to the group that needs to wake up.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:58 AM
Binx B

I think they invented smiling emoticons for people like you.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871
Icon6

And troll dolls for you. We all have our niche.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:09 AM
Binx B

Troll?

That cuts to the core. I believe a period of self-examination is in order.

Thanks, man.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 181

Well, I was actually commenting on the banality of your little diatribe.

So why do certain self-righteous atheists AND Christians feel the need to say and write these kinds of things?

They don't do it to try to change anyone's mind or to make the world a better place.

They do it for the same reasons anyone feels the need to put down some large group of people; so they can feel superior and better about themselves without having to do anything or even put any thought into it.

So yeah. Good job man.
I do not feel superior to anyone. I write primarily for myself, to clear my mind by expressing my thoughts on paper. I post my thoughts on the web because there might be a few tidbits in there that help others.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Binx B

Well, it is kind of self-deprecating in places, so maybe "superior" was an overstatement.

But if you want to "help others" you might want to reconsider your presentation.

Otherwise, it just comes across as another one of the bazillion vents that people post on the internet every day about their anger or disillusionment with one thing or another, mainly for their own gratification and because they can.

Yep. Just what the world needs!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

You need to get to the self-examination part..quickly. Never mind.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Binx B

I have, thank you—and very carefully. I found a kind of funny looking freckle on my arm and I'm gonna have someone look at it ASAP.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

While they are at it have them check that large lump on top of your shoulders.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Binx B

Ha ha!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Hey Jim. It was real pleasure to read what you wrote. And I agree with everything you said. Except for not wanting to be considered an atheist. I'm proud to be an atheist. And if believers find offense when I speak of facts, real truth and science, so be it.

The days when atheists quietly kept to themselves and hid in the closet are long gone.

So while you don's want to be known as an atheist you sound like one. Maybe you should consider yourself a 'non theist' which doesn't have all the baggage of 'atheist'.

Whatever you call yourself I want you to know there are more people out there that think the way you and I do. Most of them call themselves atheists.

Thanks for writing it and take care.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Hi Binx. I see you're still being social but not sharing your work. Why?

I totally disagree with your comments. Just because you heard these ideas before doesn't make then banal. Nor does it make it a diatribe. You're taking an elists POV that if you've heard it before then the ideas are not worth saying.

I know a guy who says "I don't need to know what I don't know." You're putting a new wrinkle on it. "I don't need to hear ideas I've already heard."

What about the people who have not heard the ideas? If you were in charge of reality would all discourse end once your bored with the concepts?

Something to think about.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Binx B

Oh, come on wrc. From under which rock would you have to crawl to have not heard this stuff? I call B.S. on that.

As an agnostic, I don't side with believers or atheists, so overall, I don't have an axe to grind. And I understand the sentiment of the piece, but it annoys me nonetheless when atheists go off on rants or diatribes that include a certain kind of language that clearly it is not about advancing "ideas."

Obviously, if you don't believe in the christian god, it goes without saying that you don't believe in anything else associated with their system of belief. So when people refer to beliefs as "ridiculous" or "superstition and lies," etc. then it's a good bet that their primary aim is to ridicule. And why do people ridicule? To elevate and reassure themselves, of course. It also comes off as intellectually lazy and can hardly be elevated to the level of an "idea" or "ideas."

The most effective way not to get people to listen to your point of view is when you try to invalidate theirs by belittling them OR by not thinking or being aware of how your language and overall presentation will make them feel. In other words, as I suggested, if you really want to open up a dialog or "help people," it's probably a good idea to make an effort to not come off like a jerk.

And I am sharing my work. I have something posted now in "Fiction."

Last edited by Binx B; 04-05-2016 at 05:15 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing