WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Revised FAQ

Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484
Default Revised FAQ

Hi all!
I have just revised our forum's Frequently Asked Questions. It was no easy task... not only did I have to puzzle out the coding there, but I had to be careful not to interfere with the intricate web of secret messages Winterbite always talks about! (I think I erased the bit about who killed Kennedy... but the recipe for Greek fire is still there...)

Here's a run-down of the changes:

SITE RULES & GUIDELINES
> added a link to the Intellectual table guidelines.

OFFICIAL POSTING RULES
> Added more info on the Thanks button. Many thanks to Night Wanderer for her post here, which I paraphrased. I think I got the Thanks:/Thanks thing sorted out!

WRITER'S BEAT QUARTERLY
> Fixed old links and made minor changes

WRITER'S BEAT CONTESTS
> Total revision to explain the new system. (I.e. no more monthly contests or points scoring.)

Don't worry, no rules have been changed, but I hope the FAQ more accurately reflects what we do have, now. If you're interested in the new stuff, take a gander. If you haven't read our FAQ at all, go read it now!

Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoiLei For This Useful Post:
mattimeo (05-15-2009), Paige Bruce (05-15-2009), Tau (05-15-2009)
Old 05-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Well done. Especially like the new IT guidelines. One request, though, please. Can you find some other example for the following:

Insinuating questions -- "You don't happen to be blonde, do you?"
Other examples do not offend any section of the population, but this one does. And by spelling blonde with an e, the inference is that the blonde in question is female. Grrr. The Queen (a highly intelligent blonde) is not amused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Q Wands For This Useful Post:
Tau (05-15-2009)
Old 05-15-2009, 11:56 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Hmm, I couldn't think of an insinuating question that wouldn't offend some sector, if it were said in earnest (that's kinda the point). That's why it's hard to give an example. Actually, the line is an exact quote of something which caused a flame war in the past, and I just subbed "blonde" in for the original term.

How about using "You flunked out of kindergarten, didn't you?" or "Do you always have trouble with basic logic?"
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 PM
mattimeo (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 28

Good job. Have a . Sorry mine arn't as good as Taus....
Old 05-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Why?

Oh and a apostrophe is needed

Help, I am correcting grammar, what has happened to me?

On topic; where specifically was that question?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tau; 05-15-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: :p problem again
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

In the Intellectual Table Guidelines. It's being used as an example of what not to say!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Ah, silly me, I know I read that, not paying attention. Well considering the basic logic example might be a better example, for one it is more general, for another, an argument might arise due to flaws in reasoning on one or the other side.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Good job HoiLei. The changes you made are clear enough that even a blonde can follow them.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

I should hope so... I am a blonde!

Honestly, I don't take offense at blonde jokes. However, I may have to whup you on Q wands' behalf, since she's offline! *brandishes pink hairbrush menacingly*
Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Afraid I do take offense at blonde jokes, but I'll try to contain myself and not go off into a rant about it.

Back to the original example: you could have something like "if you added ten points to your IQ it would reach double digits", or "you're obviously a rocket scientist" (sarcasm). Both insinuate a lack of intelligence but do not rely on a person's physical attributes.

Think about it, you wouldn't use an example insulting a person's height or weight, so why permit an example insulting a person on the basis of hair colour, which is hereditary. (And, yes, I know it's possible to dye one's hair - which, by the way, is why there are dumb blonde jokes in the first place - but it shouldn't be necessary in order to avoid unfounded slurs.)

Old 05-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

if you added ten points to your IQ it would reach double digits
That one seems insulting enough to the general public.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Afraid I do take offense at blonde jokes, but I'll try to contain myself and not go off into a rant about it.

What? You say I have been summoned to the Queens Court? And to what do I owe this privilege? Surely you jest, my good magistrate. My remark, tongue in cheek as it were, was not designed to incite the blonde masses let alone our good and regal Queen. How could she think that I, Sir Gaines, who has been at sea for half a decade in Her Majesty's Service searching the world for new lands and treasures to lay at her royal feet would, with knave like purpose, be so insolent as to imply that Her Majesty was in the least a dullard! Nay, I would rather be racked and have my head piked for all the country to see than insult our Queen.

I shall go forth at once and offer my sincere apologies and beg her Royal forgiveness. Tho blonde she be she must surely know that she exudes the sensibilities of a brunette and the intriguing charms of a redhead. She is veritably a women for all seasons!

What gifts shall I offer her? Ah, I know. Something rare, something she has not in her treasure trove. Here they are. Cookies, my good magistrate. On our return voyage home we happened upon a small island inhabited by tiny men dressed all in green. The odd little creatures lived inside trees. Yes, that's right, inside trees. A more affable bunch one could not find.

No, no, we did not bring back an inhabitant from their island. Yes, the place has a name. They call it Keebler. That's right, the island of Keebler.

I shall offer these to our Queen. Once she has tasted of these delicious treats she will rescind her protestations and quite possibly grant me another commission to return to Keebler and secure for her their recipe for such delights.

Now be off my good man and inform the Queen of my haste. Not a word of the cookies mind you least you spoil the surprise. Mine is not the only head that hangs in the balance.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
That one seems insulting enough to the general public.
Well, better to insult the masses rather than single one section out for abuse, that's my motto.

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post

What? You say I have been summoned to the Queens Court? (etc)
Oh, Gaines, I wasn't angry with you! I realised that your comment was tongue-in-cheek. But thank you for the cookies. Those Keebler elves are very good at their job, as I recall. (We don't get that brand over here.)

Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
OFFICIAL POSTING RULES
> Added more info on the Thanks button. Many thanks to Night Wanderer for her post here, which I paraphrased. I think I got the Thanks:/Thanks thing sorted out!
*warm fuzzies*

Nice revisions, Hoi! I don't think anyone will have an excuse to be out of the loop now! (Not that they were before, but...y'know...um...I'm just going to stop talking now. )

Last edited by Night Wanderer; 05-16-2009 at 07:03 AM..
Old 05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
We all take offense at some things... I have to contain my rants about the awfulness that is Law & Order SVU. Grr. Ironically, I object to it for many of the same reasons you object to blonde jokes!

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
Back to the original example: you could have something like "if you added ten points to your IQ it would reach double digits", or "you're obviously a rocket scientist" (sarcasm). Both insinuate a lack of intelligence but do not rely on a person's physical attributes.
All right! I'll go the insult-the-intellect route but make it a question so it's still an example of the "Insinuating Questions" category.

Thanks for the feedback!

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board