WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets

Writing Markets Calls for submissions, paying and non-paying markets.

Accepting Submissions for "The Memory Eater" Short Story Anthology

Old 03-19-2011, 04:40 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Accepting Submissions for "The Memory Eater" Short Story Anthology

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to share with you The Memory Eater: Stories that Erase the Past to Save the Future. This science fiction-inspired anthology consists of 27 uniquely written and illustrated stories based on a futuristic device with the ability to locate and destroy any memory in the human mind. Each of 27 authors wrote an original story around the concept, and 27 artists contributed a companion original piece of art for the stories.

The anthology was pitched to select publishers with positive feedback, but ultimately, I decided to take advantage of the evolving book publishing landscape and retain control over the book publication and distribution by raising the funds to self-publish. Today marks the launch of the Kickstarter.com fundraising campaign to raise funds to publish The Memory Eater, which is ready to print right now!

Kickstarter is a unique Internet funding platform for creative projects by writers, musicians, artists, designers, filmmakers and visionaries of all kinds. Artists post an in-depth profile of their creative work and ask interested people to pledge a donation over a short period to reach a funding goal. If the goal is reached, the pledges are funded, and the artist can help bring their creative project to life.

Please visit The Memory Eater fundraising campaign at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ater-anthology and support the project. The page includes a project introduction video, story and art samples and links to several contributor web sites. The platform offers several pledge levels ranging from $1-$300 with rewards attached to each donation. Rewards run the gamut from written acknowledgement in the anthology, to free books, to bookmarks and T-shirts, to custom created, artist-signed The Memory Eater artwork on canvas. Pledges are not collected (via PayPal or credit card) unless and until the project goal of $4,250 is reached in the 40-day campaign period.

The Memory Eater's Kickstarter campaign runs through May 12, 2012. For further information about The Memory Eater anthology, visit my blog at www.anthologies2011.blogspot.com; http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Memory-Eater-Anthology; and Twitter at @TheMemoryEater.

Thank you for checking out the campaign and for your support of my work!

Best,
C. P.

Last edited by casperpearl; 04-02-2012 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Updated the information
Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm holding a little contest on my blog where you could win a $15 gift card. http://anthologies2011.blogspot.com/
Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Make it a cool hundred bucks and you'll get some entries.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 PM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
I bet. I'm not that rich
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Just a friendly reminder that there's 5 weeks left to enter!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I just wanted to let everyone know that the deadline has been extended to July 15th.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Originally Posted by Bagit View Post

A picture of Grant at the end of a stick would get me writing.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 PM
PRPerson (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 8

Here follows my submission (free of charge!)

In the Mind of the Memory Eater - by PRPerson

Random Professor: The Memory Eater works by reducing the ‘bridges’ created by neurotransmitters in the synapses associated with the pain receptors. In essence the Memory Eater removes all memories associated with pain.

Random Professor: The Memory Eater must have the capability to attract the neurotransmitters from a patient. Therefore, the structure of the Memory Eater must have a similar physiology to the human brain.

Random Professor: On July 22nd 2023, a Memory Eater became sentient. The neurotransmitters mapped onto the creature’s brain associated humans with pain, brutality and trauma.

Random Professor: The Memory Eater concluded that all human interactions involved the transaction of pain, brutality and trauma.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Rick Deckard (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via Skype™ to Rick Deckard

So, you want Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Rick, before I was a published author, I used to throw unnecessary energy away by trying to bring other people’s ideas down. That was before I was published. Get my joke?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by PRPerson View Post
Here follows my submission (free of charge!)

In the Mind of the Memory Eater - by PRPerson

Random Professor: The Memory Eater works by reducing the ‘bridges’ created by neurotransmitters in the synapses associated with the pain receptors. In essence the Memory Eater removes all memories associated with pain.

Random Professor: The Memory Eater must have the capability to attract the neurotransmitters from a patient. Therefore, the structure of the Memory Eater must have a similar physiology to the human brain.

Random Professor: On July 22nd 2023, a Memory Eater became sentient. The neurotransmitters mapped onto the creature’s brain associated humans with pain, brutality and trauma.

Random Professor: The Memory Eater concluded that all human interactions involved the transaction of pain, brutality and trauma.
I'll print it off and put it in the pile
Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Rick Deckard (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via Skype™ to Rick Deckard

I'm sorry if I sounded negative, I was in no way trying to bring the idea down. I actually think it's a good idea, and I was fully planning on making a submission.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
I'm sorry if I sounded negative, I was in no way trying to bring the idea down. I actually think it's a good idea, and I was fully planning on making a submission.
Well that's actually nice to hear. I thought I'd check in and have a few choice words thrown at me Someone on another board mentioned the same movie and tried to bring my idea down, so I apologize for thinking you were attempting the same.

Regardless, the more submissions, the better! Good luck to you and anyone who decideds to write a story.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Writing Time View Post
It's a nice premise for many different stories, When I first read this I wrote down two basic stories I hoped to expand on. One is way too difficult for me to write but the other one is simple enough. I hope to have it properly written and cleaned up in time.

Two questions for you:
1) Can I post it here first on Members Only Forum (Password Locked)?
2) Is there a general world in which this is set?
-Year
-Memory Eater Company Name
-Terms for Memory Eater procedure.
-Yada yada
It sounds like a great thing to get involved in, I hope I can put enough effort in to make the cut.
Hey WT,

1) You can post it here, that's not a problem. I've also had people workshop their submissions online as well.

2) Your story can be set in any time period you want. It can be around the time when the first Memory Eater is released or in the future when anything is possible. Perhaps the ME becomes a portable device or banned from existence. Your call. As with any product, multiple companies usually spring up, so the company name can be anything. Same with terms.

One thing I'm enjoying with these stories is seeing how personalized they are. Different lingo and tidbits speak volumes about how unique each author really is.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your story!

C. P.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:41 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

We're approaching two weeks left until the deadline!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am now accepting submissions until I fill the book. I am also in the process of pitching this idea to a publisher. For more information, check out my latest blog post at anthologies2011.blogspot.com.

Last edited by casperpearl; 07-11-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

I'm still looking for 2-3 more artists to illustrate stories, so if you are one or know of any, feel free to email me at [anthologies2011(at)gmail(dot)com] for details.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

It’s here. Authors have exactly two weeks from today to finish writing/editing and submit their entries. This makes the final deadline September 12th. That means we’re playing a video game with zero lives, only the lives are extensions.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
casperpearl (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

The anthology is now available for purchase. Check out http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/875080901/the-memory-eater-anthology to give it your support! Regardless, thanks for checking The Memory Eater out.

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets