WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

You are all pawns in a game!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Default You are all pawns in a game!

Hello all,

Today is the day that the secret organization I am a member of goes public with our first communique.

We have infiltrated the ranks of your writing industry and we are using our influence with authors to subvert the message of 1000s of books and articles.

We are speaking of a large scale targeted operation. Our operatives have been working the industry and forums for years, using false identities they have built up a staunch reputation in this your 'community'.

In doing so not only have our operatives been able to seduce other authors into following a carefully laid out trap, they have also been able to recommend and build up the reputation of real members of our organization out in the open, working in plain sight.

The authors you most admire who you hold up as celebrated successes of your community, are merely using you to support books which are a front for political sabotage on a grand scale, very real secrets being marketed as fiction.

Your idolation makes you blind and we are happy for you to stay that way, so long as the favours keep rolling in from the real person behind the character that is. I think fans would be very concerned if the evil character they felt so passionately about turned out to have a very real face in the world they live.

We hold no bones about what it is we do, we are as mercilous as the game we prey on, our aims aren't to achieve popularity, we neither believe in freedom or power nor desire it, such things are simply unnecessary risk, we are just another cog in the machine skimming off a profit, our anonymity is our weapon and we plan on keeping it that way.

You will only know us by the process of disruption we engage in. We refuse to leave a signature as we are not here to inform on ourselves, consider this a public service announcement, your leaders will submit to our will, and it is your own deference to authority that condemns you as pawns in our operations.

Why are we telling you all this? Because we are confident in our absolute control of your industry and your forums, we have seen your true nature and know everything about how you behave, you enjoy your exclusive club so much that I doubt very much even if you knew who was pulling the strings that you would have the courage to change.

Finally there have been some unfortunate instances of people in power not coming through on favors because they didn’t believe in our substance, well they found out the hard way we are very real. As much as we enjoy taunting you with your mistakes, this is a business and we expect by releasing this communique today we have set the record straight.

Last edited by Zeroni; 03-31-2016 at 11:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeroni For This Useful Post:
Beesauce (01-05-2018)
Old 03-31-2016, 09:49 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,191
Default You are all pawns in a game!

Is this for real?

Last edited by brianpatrick; 04-01-2016 at 06:18 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Bagit (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 02:52 AM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 233

I think it's one of those old Matt Helm movies. ( They've been on free TV lately. I just watch them for the cool old cars. )
Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Is this for real?

It is April Fools Day, Brian....

I don't know if that has any influence on this piece but I hope so......

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

shades of the twilight zone if you ask me.

it could be April fools - but I still think the oreo with tooth paste as the cream filling is funnier.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

We are speaking of a large scale targeted operation. Our operatives have been working the industry and forums for years, using false identities they have built up a staunch reputation in this your 'community'.
Oh, really. We'll thanks for the heads-up.

The authors you most admire who you hold up as celebrated successes of your community, are merely using you to support books which are a front for political sabotage on a grand scale, very real secrets being marketed as fiction.
Whoa! Now there's an accusation that would have to be proven. You got anything on a recording device or video?

You will only know us by the process of disruption we engage in.
We'll be watching...

We refuse to leave a signature as we are not here to inform on ourselves, consider this a public service announcement, your leaders will submit to our will, and it is your own deference to authority that condemns you as pawns in our operations.
This sentence needs less commas and more periods. A rework would be advised also here: "your leaders will("shall" works better) submit to our will". And, if you're referring to leaders as staff, I'd like to think that staff are members sworn to uphold and/or interpret the rules per incident. Lastly, (on one lone clue I'm convinced of an April fools prank) I think you're going to have real trouble getting any characters around here to submit to fictitious will! Unless it's in the adult forum of course.

Good try though.

Last edited by Bagit; 04-01-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

So it’s officially 2nd of April here so I can confirm it was an April fool’s joke of course. Big thanks to brianpatrick for playing along; his previous comment also read that I could do with fewer commas and more periods. This is the first fiction piece I’ve written since school so I guess the short phrases are my lack of confidence at pretending, hopefully on the up and up.

By the number of visitors to my blog through my writersbeat profile I must have spooked a fair few people aha.

Since this is the writer’s café I’d be curious to use this as a jumping off point to talk about something a little more contentious.

So you could consider my stunt as a depiction of the way conspiracy theorists really see the world and how they may believe power is concentrated in racketeers and corrupt politicians controlled by shadowy elite, unassailable.

Then you can notice in yourself how susceptible you are to these arguments for a suspension of belief in reality.

On the other hand if you believe the real power lies in people organising, then you see corrupt politicians as a consequence of people voting away their rights under a climate of fear.

Then you may agree with me that authority is not the problem it’s how much choice (or lack there of in the case of coersion) was involved in the giving of power.

As with national politics, communities benefit from structure and guidelines, I’ve noticed the biggest complaint people have on this forum is other members not giving answers which are honest critiques of the spirit of the question posted in the thread.

People start to resent personalities and take sides, serious writers vs unserious ones, which does no good because it's a false dichotomy. It's a value judgment based on our personal politics for example; the old cliches surface and people line up behind the freinds they percieve as being the ultimate authorities of the industry, who got there by the sweat of their brow or they follow the spirit of the struggling artist who stays true to their craft and isn't influenced by pressues of the market.

Just some thoughts for your perusal, there’s the thread over at members feedback about chatbot not so serious posts, I wanted to find examples where people shut each other down with appeals to authority, which I think can be equally poor behaviour, So I’ll include those here below.

I'm sure you won't feel any great loss (I know I won't) but it does give you bad reputation that could come back to haunt you. Remember, there are all sorts from the writing industry on this forum some just starting, other well established.

For me (and many industry professionals I've spoken with about this topic)

If you think the opinion of most published authors and most industry professionals is bullshit, then continue on your path and stop asking for or reading professional advice… Spend five pages describing leaves blowing on the sidewalk. It doesn't matter to me whether you get published or not.

You are mistaken. I will venture to say most of us here care about such things. Serious writers generally do.

You may not care about spelling or grammar (or insulting your audience or prospective comrades in the writing trenches) but an overwhelming number of readers do. I can't think of any professionally published work, fiction or nonfiction, where the decay of language is permitted. The occasional typo slips by all of the editing rounds, but generally it's expected that the authors make a good faith attempt at clarity.

Picking fights with the well-established members of this site won't help your case either, I'm afraid.

Sneering at the industry and people who respect the boundaries of the laws governing it do you no favors as a newbie to the forum.

Word of mouth, particularlly good words, are what you want with this type of project.

Last edited by Zeroni; 04-02-2016 at 01:14 AM..
Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

My goodness.

What a turn of events this April fools fool fooled

Well writ, and I'll leave the comment in the vomit at the door
Old 03-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

I may merge a lot of threads into this thread.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I may merge a lot of threads into this thread.

Why?

This thread is historical to A-Fools. He celebrated proper--

I mean. No matter I've got a print out. And screenshots. The guy never came back. Funny.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 69
Default As Historical As Mo's Avatar Costume

I must say, I do wonder where this poster ever ran off to. He sure did care about some things. Oh well. Sometimes caring too much leads to the kaputzel pretzel limbo bimbo stage. Nice avatar Mohican. I like how you paint your feelings. It's like a clown costume. I keep thinking about uploading, but in the end it doesn't matter. You can just picture a ghost with a sheet over the head.

This April Fools joke. Grand story as it is, somewhat historical for this digi-land. No matter how you slice it, it can never go away. Too bad the authors gone. I'd love to keep picking, but that's all he wrote. Eh.

Wasting time, but really, there's no where left to go but to spill out the Fleabottoms game to the rest of the forum. Nobody cares about anybody else, not really. Now I know why picklebottoms face is frown. I won't leave a picture like in the game game. But this thread is titled a game, but really, nobody nobody cares. It's a sandbox aint it?

Hey, so now that this thread is just a chat room.

If anyone wants to hear a funny sound that reminds me of that other writer.. BeefHeart?? was it? I liked that writers poetry. Frownland it's so terrible an awful track, that captain beefheart is somehow a master of spoken jazz scat, i dont know what.. not my words. i just found it

Last edited by Beesauce; 04-25-2018 at 08:46 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe