Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe > Board Games

Board Games Get it? "Board" games.

Contribute in making a universe!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Oyfinth (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Contribute in making a universe!

OK, so my a pet hobby of mine is to make fictional universes. I have always wondered how it would be to have several people contribute in one of these exercises, so this is kind of a trial project if you will.

The game works in this way: The participants cannot divert from what is in the premise. Other than that, they are free to make up whatever they please. This can be done through short stories, snippets, dialogues, monologues or other formats. The actions, items, customs and behaviours in the stories will make new rules of the universe, and thus affect subsequent stories. The goal is simply to furnish the universe, so to speak. So if it helps your story that there are Snarks fighting with pitchforks or whatever, then that's what they do - in every story after as well. The new rules will be added in below.

Example: If you write that Jon is wearing leather shoes, that means his people has access to animals to make leather from, techniques to either hunt or keep livestock, and the technology to refine hide into leather. (As well as many other things, but let's keep it simple for now.)

The rules can only be added through stories. Feel free to muse, discuss and share thoughts of course, but part of the fun of this game is that I get to "decode" what new rules are added based on the stories.

PREMISE: There is a desert. It is big, it is desolate and it is scorching in the day, freezing in the night. At the far end of this desert is a gigantic rock formation, like a wall, riddled with cracks and slits and openings. It's dead straight, and rises very tall. It goes on for as far as anyone has ever been able to explore.

On this rock wall lives a people. Not much is known about this people, other than that they:

- definitely have some sort of constructions in the cracks of these walls. The cracks themselves are big enough to comfortably hold houses or granaries, and walls (of mud?) have been described.
- definitely know how to command birds of prey.
- definitely do not like contact with other peoples - the only stories are from the odd explorer who comes back alive, and the desert people (wanderers as opposed to settled civilizations), whom themselves are not too fond of other peoples.
- Definitely are divided into two different groups: The Children of the Sun and the Shadow Dwellers.

- probably have some hidden part that nobody knows about - the desert is hostile and dry, and the wall likewise, yet they somehow have food to provide for what is assumed a fairly large population.
- probably are well trained at warfare, which is odd, since nobody dares bother them.
- have probably been in the area for a long time, since nobody can remember a time without legends of this people.

- may practice human sacrifice.
- may be skilled at art - flimsy descriptions from long ago talk of wonderful pottery.
- may trade with the desert people.
- may have a very sophisticated society, since information rarely escapes - proving that communication is quick, and there seems to be rules and regulations (over both time and distance) about how to deal with intruders.

and most importantly: this all takes place in an undefined past. Words like car, mobile, typewriter, internet and snookie are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN and will be punished with a forced reading of any Stephen King novel.

Other societies
there are several other societies in this world, with no rules whatsoever.

Last edited by Oyfinth; 08-30-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Nice&Blue (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 16

Kaleen was born under the 13th moon of the year under a clear starry night.

Her mother Bontha, a child of the sun, knew what a night birth meant, her child would never see sunlight.
Before the bonding took place Kaleen was taken away and given to one of the many females of the shadow dwellers, the child would be loved and cared for.
Bontha knew this but it was of little solace neither was the fact that she would be now be next in line when a dweller was unfortunate enough to birth in the daylight hours and the fates were reversed.
What I'm thinking is there is one breed of creature who live in and guard the wall but two distinct tribes.

The Children of the Sun who guard it during the day and then the Shadow Dwellers who live in the night hours.
they are the same but different, night dwellers are born at night and never see the sun .. and well Children of the sun are born in the daytime.

I see the COTS caked in red mud so they blend in and the SD caked in clay so they can also become the wall.

I also have an idea about a garden of Eden type of scenario being on the other side of the wall and it is their job to keep everyone out (or in)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New posts by me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Guest slots open on Tuesday and Thursdays.
500 word limit email submissions to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Oyfinth (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Your word is law ;-)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Nice&Blue (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 16

aah don't say that!

I make terrible decisions

New posts by me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Guest slots open on Tuesday and Thursdays.
500 word limit email submissions to

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe > Board Games