WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Plot Driven vs Character Driven Fiction

Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
moops (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 13
Default Plot Driven vs Character Driven Fiction

I feel as if it's so hard to find a balance between plot and character in fiction (especially short fiction).

If I have my characters think too much, I feel as if my stuff is static and boring, but if I focus more on action and having a fast paced plot, I feel as if I'm not giving enough attention to my characters which become plot devices themselves. But if I try to infuse introspection and character development in a plot driven piece, I feel as if my stuff is bloated and doesn't flow well.

So does anyone wanna give me some tips/advice pertaining to how I can integrate character introspection into a plot driven piece?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 PM
TyroLancer (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I think the balance between plot and character comes not in the form of characterization vs. action, but motivation and conflict.

As far as my understanding goes, character-driven fiction is founded on the dynamic of character motivation and character obstacles -- characters want things but they can't have them. How do they react to that? What do they do to resolve that?

In other words, motivation + obstacles = conflict.

Conflict + motivation to resolve said conflict = action.

In reality, in a well-written story, it shouldn't be so much of a struggle to balance character vs. plot; instead, character and plot should be so tightly connected that neither could stand if the other was taken away.

I could be wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(blog)
The Persistent Climb Newbie Writer to Published Author
Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 AM
CandraH

People can only tell you what they do in their own work and that might not be applicable to yours. So I guess what I'm saying is, post your work for feedback and see what others say. If you get lots of no plot comments you'll know to inject more of that, likewise if you get lots of no characterisation comments to inject more of that. It's about trial and error and figuring things out in your own writing, not about asking for cookie-cutter responses from people who havent read your stuff
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Probably sounds a tad trite but if I have a character I let them tell me the story, if I have a plot I let it create the characters.

For me the balancing of the story comes in rewriting until I am happy with it.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Eurlo (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 9

I agree with AnyaKimlun....

I just let my story tell itself...then if I don't like something then I change it

Last edited by Eurlo; 08-15-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Motley (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

In reality, in a well-written story, it shouldn't be so much of a struggle to balance character vs. plot; instead, character and plot should be so tightly connected that neither could stand if the other was taken away.
This.

I never quite understood how people could write with the focus on one or the other. I mean, the character is living the plot. There is no plot without the character, and no character (person) has no plot (life).

On introspection, however. I've heard it called 'naval-gazing' and it's not needed to have a character deeply expressed in your story. Do you do a lot of introspection every day in your own life?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Daeygon (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

The way I write is I envision being in the story as an observer and the characters develop with the story/plot(like how I'd see a movie) but at the same time however the characters develop I try very hard to keep there Likes, dislikes, personality etc consistent but I allow very small amounts of fluctuation to allow change and emotions to flourish, over all the story creates the actions and the obstacles the characters simply react depending on the conditions.

I believe this gives the characters and stories personality.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe